What if the Bears had NOT signed Andy Dalton

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
fair enough if you think dalton is worth the upgrade and the sacrifice of fuller I can at least understand the position. I don’t agree but we will see, let me ask you this what stats do you expect next year from dalton and what would you consider a success from him?

There was no way he was staying a Bear at a 20 million dollar cap hit. Signing Dalton didn't cost you Fuller. Dalton has a 5.5 million dollar cap hit this year. That money would have probably gone to Trubisky, Mariota, or some other QB. Pace could have cut Graham or Hicks to get that number.

If you don't like Dalton THAT'S FINE..... I get it. There's reason's not to like him. Just stop it with the "sacrifice of Fuller" crap.

Rise

Liked Posts:
There was no way he was staying a Bear at a 20 million dollar cap hit. Signing Dalton didn't cost you Fuller. Dalton has a 5.5 million dollar cap hit this year. That money would have probably gone to Trubisky, Mariota, or some other QB. Pace could have cut Graham or Hicks to get that number.

If you don't like Dalton THAT'S FINE..... I get it. There's reason's not to like him. Just stop it with the "sacrifice of Fuller" crap.

Extend him? To just cut a 29 year old all pro at a top 4 premier position for no return is just piss poor management, anyway you slice it. I’ll concede it would have been possible to sign dalton and keep fuller I guess. I’m just simply adding up the money.

Yes I’ll go on record I don’t like Dalton, think he will get destroyed behind this crap oline. Trubisky was the better option for this team because he can move.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Extend him? To just cut a 29 year old all pro at a top 4 premier position for no return is just piss poor management, anyway you slice it. I’ll concede it would have been possible to sign dalton and keep fuller I guess. I’m just simply adding up the money.

Yes I’ll go on record I don’t like Dalton, think he will get destroyed behind this crap oline. Trubisky was the better option for this team because he can move.

That's all I'm asking for.

Yes, the Fuller thing was no bueno. Agreed.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Then what would you all be saying? Who would be your QB1? Trubisky? Foles? Or just tank the whole season and try to get a good draft pick for the next year?

Maybe they could've waited and gotten Garoppalo?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
ROFL. This fucking thread. We don't deserve our Andy! ???

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
JurisFrog

>>>>> #1

You are right, the Bears will need a solid line and an amazing defense if we are to have any chance at a Superbowl, and after what we saw happen to Mahomes, I think you can say with full confidence that is the case with any team and QB.

BTW, Andy Dalton can not even sniff Joe Flacco's jock when it comes to playoff results.

Joe has 15 playoff games and his record is 10-5, he finished the 2012 (SB MVP) postseason having completed 73-of-126 (57.9 percent) passes for 1,140 yards with 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions, tying Montana and Kurt Warner for the most touchdowns in a single postseason[71] and additionally tying Montana for the most touchdowns without an interception in a single postseason.[72] Flacco's 117.2 passer rating tied him for third place all-time with Steve Young in a Super Bowl-winning postseason.[72]

What is Andy Dalton's playoff record? 0-4 with 1 TD and 6 interceptions......

He might be a great guy, but he will have his hands full even holding on to the starting job in Chicago against Foles and a possible rookie......

" At least AD is a proven winner who can be successful in this league as long as he has an offensive line that can block. "
-JurisFrog

I don't get it when ppl make like Dalton is somehow a "winner". His playoff #'s and record are atrocious.

And twetz just pointed this out>>>>"Next 5 seasons, four in Cincy, one in Dallas, 24 wins and 40 losses. " ?
>>>> #52

mecha

Liked Posts:
in those Cowboys highlights he looked decently mobile enough to avoid pressure. unless my eyes didn't see the same thing everyone else does. if he folds like a chair in the playoffs then he has some kind of mental block with handling the pressure of those games. he's like the opposite of Foles then. Bears aren't going deep in the playoffs anyway, so this is all moot. it does suck they had to dump Fuller though to pay for this move. I still find it illogical because they already had Foles on the books.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Then what would you all be saying? Who would be your QB1? Trubisky? Foles? Or just tank the whole season and try to get a good draft pick for the next year?

You all go on and on about getting one of these rookie QB's in the draft, as if they are going to magically work out. Who can say Mac Jones is going to work out? Who can say any of those guys are going to be great QB's? At least AD is a proven winner who can be successful in this league as long as he has an offensive line that can block.

As an AD fan, I'm honestly starting to wish he hadn't signed with the Bears. The negativity here is terrible. A few of you are pretty great, reasonable people, but the vast majority of what I am reading and hearing is just unrelenting, insufferable negativity.

You have a really good QB here, a great guy, an excellent leader, super consistent, a true pro, someone that the City of Chicago could rally around, but all you do is trash and abuse him. It's gross.
Do the Bears have an OL that can block? I think the current line is decent.

So are you saying Andy Dalton is a good franchise QB? His career rating is the same as last year: 87.5. I think most Bears fans have the correct assessment: Dalton may be a small step better than Trubisky. I don't see Dalton as a franchise QB, and Cincinnati didn't think so either.

But I'm not sure why you appear to be down on the Bears taking a 1st round QB?

It's obvious we don't know how well a QB is going to transition into the NFL -- could be like Mahomes, could be like Trubisky, or Ryan Leaf. If you don't have a franchise QB, you keep taking a swing at it. If Bears can't get Wilson, Pace should be looking trade up into the 1st for a QB -- which we hear is 4-5 QBs deep.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

You all go on and on about getting one of these rookie QB's in the draft, as if they are going to magically work out. Who can say Mac Jones is going to work out? You liking how A. J. McCarron is doing? Who can say any of those guys are going to be great QB's? At least AD is a proven winner who can be successful in this league as long as he has an offensive line that can block.

As an AD fan, I'm honestly starting to wish he hadn't signed with the Bears. The negativity here is terrible. A few of you are pretty great, reasonable people, but the vast majority of what I am reading and hearing is just unrelenting, insufferable negativity.

You have a really good QB here, a great guy, an excellent leader, super consistent, a true pro, someone that the City of Chicago could rally around, but all you do is trash and abuse him. It's gross.
In Andy Dalton what the Bears have is a slight upgrade over Trubisky/Foles. He checks the boxes of Great guy, leader, true pro, but he is only slightly more consistent than what the Bears have had at QB. If you don't cherry pick the stats and look at his whole career you find someone who at times looks like a borderline elite talent, but more often than not his game is just ok even with the kind of talent he had around him over his first seven seasons. If Pace/Nagy are looking at Dalton to save their jobs.......Pace will be looking for a new job in 2022 and Nagy will be a QB coach somewhere else.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@TheWinman what do you have against reading and research? Besides not being able to do the first and unwilling to do the second.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
in those Cowboys highlights he looked decently mobile enough to avoid pressure. unless my eyes didn't see the same thing everyone else does. if he folds like a chair in the playoffs then he has some kind of mental block with handling the pressure of those games. he's like the opposite of Foles then. Bears aren't going deep in the playoffs anyway, so this is all moot. it does suck they had to dump Fuller though to pay for this move. I still find it illogical because they already had Foles on the books.
I think I have figured it out now. Dalton just good enough to get into the playoffs, Foles takes the baton and leads the Bears to the SB.

#Pacegenius

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
In Andy Dalton what the Bears have is a slight upgrade over Trubisky/Foles. He checks the boxes of Great guy, leader, true pro, but he is only slightly more consistent than what the Bears have had at QB. If you don't cherry pick the stats and look at his whole career you find someone who at times looks like a borderline elite talent, but more often than not his game is just ok even with the kind of talent he had around him over his first seven seasons. If Pace/Nagy are looking at Dalton to save their jobs.......Pace will be looking for a new job in 2022 and Nagy will be a QB coach somewhere else.
But you aren't getting 27 yo AD you are getting 33 yo AD and his last 5 yrs have been bad to borderline atrocious. I think the last 5 years or even more recent are more accurate a predictor than entire career.

It is rare when you try to resurrect a middling career that has gone bad to succeed.
Add in the Bears history at QB and the current HC and I don't see this ending well for Dalton and I don't think he even makes yr 2 of the contract.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t be surprised if Pace went with some combo of WR, LT, RT in the 1st 3 rounds with maybe a trade down in the 2nd to try and pick up a 4th so Pace can select a token QB.

Try and build for the OL into a unit that can get a consistent push in the running game and give RR consistent protection.

If Nagy were smart (he isn’t) he’d let Lazor call plays all year and keep his collaboration to himself on game day. Lazor will lean on the run with Monty and Williams and play action pass game. RR dropping back 40+ a game is a death sentence imo.

I’m of the opinion that Pace is safe (just my feeling of the situation) and unless Nagy can prove he can manage a game while overseeing an offense that scores points he will be gone. Pace will get his 3rd HC and 6th starting QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Lazor will have a strong say in what’s run due to his history with Andy. I’m sure Dalton wasn’t signed without significant input ftom Lazor.

That we’d get stuck with someone like Dalton is why I though Mitch might be back before he crapped out those last couple games. Mitch has put himself in the perfect situation for a reset to attempt to salvage his career. Right O, and coaching for his profile and behind a fearless starter that may change his conservative mindset. Not expecting a whole lot but I wish him well.

Last edited:

CygnusX44

Bulgogi Apparatus
Liked Posts:
Why do people at the grocery store push their carts hunched over, with their forearms?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why do people at the grocery store push their carts hunched over, with their forearms?
Bear fans taking it up the ass for years?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I think Lazor will have a strong say in what’s run due to his history with Andy. I’m sure Dalton wasn’t signed without significant input ftom Lazor.

That we’d get stuck with someone like Dalton is why I though Mitch might be back before he crapped out those last couple games. Mitch has put himself in the perfect situation for a reset to attempt to salvage his career. Right O, and coaching for his profile and behind a fearless starter that may change his conservative mindset. Not expecting a whole lot but I wish him well.
interesting point, i too had thought that John Fox instilled the conservative fear of him making a turnover...which has to be balanced with making a positive play. What I saw from 2018 to 2019 was him seemingly 2nd guessing himself, instead of playing the position to score, he seemed to be playing to not make a mistake.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
interesting point, i too had thought that John Fox instilled the conservative fear of him making a turnover...which has to be balanced with making a positive play. What I saw from 2018 to 2019 was him seemingly 2nd guessing himself, instead of playing the position to score, he seemed to be playing to not make a mistake.
They also had him 2nd guessing himself, I think over Mitch trying to please. It's on Mitch to overcome that but the coaching could have helped. I think rebuilding his mechanics didn't help. He was an accurate unconscious college thrower that became very inconsistent over conscious one. It looked like he was 2nd guessing everything he did by year 3. I do think the coaches then tried to tell him to just let er rip and why I say it was ultimately on Mitch but his overtaxed brane remained confused by an inability to process mixed messaging.