What if the Bears had NOT signed Andy Dalton

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Then what would you all be saying? Who would be your QB1? Trubisky? Foles? Or just tank the whole season and try to get a good draft pick for the next year?

You all go on and on about getting one of these rookie QB's in the draft, as if they are going to magically work out. Who can say Mac Jones is going to work out? You liking how A. J. McCarron is doing? Who can say any of those guys are going to be great QB's? At least AD is a proven winner who can be successful in this league as long as he has an offensive line that can block.

As an AD fan, I'm honestly starting to wish he hadn't signed with the Bears. The negativity here is terrible. A few of you are pretty great, reasonable people, but the vast majority of what I am reading and hearing is just unrelenting, insufferable negativity.

You have a really good QB here, a great guy, an excellent leader, super consistent, a true pro, someone that the City of Chicago could rally around, but all you do is trash and abuse him. It's gross.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
Mariota. Also, relax, any QB in Chicago is going to get trashed by some fans. I also think more people are trashing Pace and not Dalton.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Read read the board before they signed Dalton and you have your answer.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to understand where the hate is coming from. It doesn't have much to do with Dalton. It's the continuing failures of the Bears to develop or acquire a franchise QB. Way too many fans had their hopes up only to see them shattered.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Bottom line they chose Dalton/Trufant over Fuller/Trubisky or Mariotta. If it were me I’d have went the keep fuller path.

I still think Seattle will be kicking themselves next year for not taking that trade. That is not the Bears fault, ridiculous offer, still surprised they declined. That was not what was in the best interest of Seattle but what was in the best interest of Carrol.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The reality is Andy Dalton is not going to bring Chicago a Championship, and if you think he will, then you are only a Dalton fan and not a football fan.

I hope Andy comes in and galvanizes the locker room, but the reality is he has never had any success in the playoffs, with better offenses than what the Bears are going to give him.

The Chicago Bears fans are sick and tired of the good guy "safe" option at QB....We need either a superstar like Wilson or Watson, or we need another bite of the apple in hopes of drafting our own Superstar.

Andy Dalton is like the front office feeding us a frozen dinner and telling us it is a gourmet meal....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bottom line they chose Dalton/Trufant over Fuller/Trubisky or Mariotta. If it were me I’d have went the keep fuller path.

I still think Seattle will be kicking themselves next year for not taking that trade. That is not the Bears fault, ridiculous offer, still surprised they declined. That was not what was in the best interest of Seattle but what was in the best interest of Carrol.

This is a fallacy. I'm not going to bother explaing it to you.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We would have to send Midway out to tryouts lol

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Because NFL front offices care much more about competitive, but not superbowl-level football teams than fans do.

Competitive football teams put people in stadiums and sell merchandise. 4-12 seasons don't.

Andy Dalton likely makes the Bears a competitive football team next season, but its very unlikely he takes us deep into the playoffs.

A Superbowl appearance is not a realistic goal for 70% of NFL franchises in any given season, but competitive seasons are in reach for most of those teams. Many fans see no difference between limping into the playoffs like we did last season versus going 4-12, while some would rather see the latter just for the draft pick.

But that is not how NFL front offices work and many fans can't understand this.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Then what would you all be saying? Who would be your QB1? Trubisky? Foles? Or just tank the whole season and try to get a good draft pick for the next year?

You all go on and on about getting one of these rookie QB's in the draft, as if they are going to magically work out. Who can say Mac Jones is going to work out? You liking how A. J. McCarron is doing? Who can say any of those guys are going to be great QB's? At least AD is a proven winner who can be successful in this league as long as he has an offensive line that can block.

As an AD fan, I'm honestly starting to wish he hadn't signed with the Bears. The negativity here is terrible. A few of you are pretty great, reasonable people, but the vast majority of what I am reading and hearing is just unrelenting, insufferable negativity.

You have a really good QB here, a great guy, an excellent leader, super consistent, a true pro, someone that the City of Chicago could rally around, but all you do is trash and abuse him. It's gross.

Yeah, we're assholes.

mecha

Liked Posts:
lack of acquiring quarterbacks is on Pace. lack of developing quarterbacks is on Nagy and his staff. the Patriots for a very long time posted 10+ win seasons and have massive quantities of picks in every draft, proving I guess that you don't necessarily need to go 4-12 to be successful in the draft. Belichick's successes as a general manager in drafting players aside, a well run organization such as them know how to buy low and sell high. that's why they have like roughly 13 picks in any given year.

I'm sure there are many examples of middling teams that won their division the next season. I was always told it's better to be lucky than good. take that for what it's worth.

as to the Bears not signing Dalton, cunt clutching over Foles starting would be a thing instead. without the Dalton signing though I think that guarantees they draft a quarterback though. I still don't see the team fielding a depth chart with both, I see Foles getting dumped on somebody. I don't know the logistics of dead caps and salaries and all that other bullshit because it doesn't pertain to me and unlike about 85% of you, I don't lose sleep over what moves they do or don't make.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Don’t sign dalton and go with the bum already on the roster then you don’t have redo contracts hurting the next year. We aren’t close to shit so the main objective should be trading for assets and keeping the cap clean for a quick turnaround. Now two seasons plus are fucked and could get worse when pace uses his madden skills and trades the farm

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
@JurisFrog

I hear you, but I'm also one of the ones bashing the decision to sign him.

Dalton, by all accounts, is an exceptional person. His character is by no means up for debate and all of the 'attacks' are actually pointed at the organization.

I'm an Eagles fan, which is notorious for chewing out players that can't take criticism. This doesn't make the player any worse or weak, it just means that's not a good fit (i.e. Carson Wentz). It's the same with us in our everyday lives. There's a difference in being a financial advisor in North Dakota vs New York. Some people thrive in one environment while others can't.

Dalton is going to an organization who has never had a true 'franchise QB'. The fans have always wanted one and looked in their division with completely reasonable envy, but the Bears just has never been able to get it done. They have also had many experiences with 'nice guy' QBs, who have a great story and get the fan base excited, but ultimately leave them feeling like the GM pulled a fast one on them.

To be clear Andy isn't walking into a city/team that dislikes him, but rather dislikes what getting behind a nice-guy, retread has gotten them. Like with all teams/cities there's a history that's important to know. Much of that history will dictate how a player is received.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Then what would you all be saying? Who would be your QB1? Trubisky? Foles? Or just tank the whole season and try to get a good draft pick for the next year? Foles, Trubisky, Dalton. Throw them in a barrel, roll it down a hill, the one that pops out first is your guy. Who gives a shit?

You all go on and on about getting one of these rookie QB's in the draft, as if they are going to magically work out. Who can say Mac Jones is going to work out? You liking how A. J. McCarron is doing? Who can say any of those guys are going to be great QB's? Here is what I know AD isn't going to work out, so maybe is better than never.

At least AD is a proven winner who can be successful in this league as long as he has an offensive line that can block.
1) No he isn't
2) Have you seen the Bears line?

As an AD fan, I'm honestly starting to wish he hadn't signed with the Bears. #MeToo The negativity here is terrible. A few of you are pretty great, reasonable people, but the vast majority of what I am reading and hearing is just unrelenting, insufferable negativity.

You have a really good QB here, a great guy, an excellent leader, super consistent, a true pro, someone that the City of Chicago could rally around, but all you do is trash and abuse him. It's gross. We have already had th NVP and Cody the Most Honorable Player, do we really need the Most super proud to have him on the team Player?
:deer:

Rise

Liked Posts:
This is a fallacy. I'm not going to bother explaing it to you.

Because you can’t. You just want so badly for the Bears to be a smart organization you twist all this garbage into positive thoughts.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
The reality is that of actual available QBs on the market that Pace could get, Dalton is probably the upper level of the mid-tier QB talent. Trying to pursue Watson and Wilson were the right moves, but when those turned out to not actually be options in play, he pulled the trigger on what he thought was the best of the available options. Where fans are livid is that it really circles back around to how vital missing on the Trubitsky pick was and not cementing a franchise QB in that draft where we had the perfect position to do so and then continuing to double down on Mitch by giving up draft capital to make other moves and subsequently preventing them from picking another developmental QB to have in the wings when the Mitch experiment came crashing down. Rolling out a series of journeymen QBs is just highlighting how big the miss was by Pace and really makes most fans ready to move past him and many think he should've been fired this past year. While Dalton wasn't a terrible choice of all the options, the collection of previous Pace blunders has begun to cost us talent across the rest of the roster and so naturally fans are upset.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Because you can’t. You just want so badly for the Bears to be a smart organization you twist all this garbage into positive thoughts.

C'mon man.

Trubisky didn't want to be here any more than the Bears wanted him. That was just a bad marriage that needed to end for everyone. And Mariota is still a Raider. We don't know if they would trade him and what that would cost. If you want to be upset over the moves the Bears make thats fine..... but don't be upset and compare them to things that aren't real options.