What if the choice wasn't between Trubisky and a defensive player?

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cleveland has selected Trubisky with the number one pick and then the 49er's selected Garrett, I think we all assumed the Bears would go with either Watson or a defensive player, what if instead we got this man at number 3?

Bears reportedly were interested in Christian McCaffrey at No. 3

http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/Bears-reportedly-were-interested-in-Christian-McCaffrey-at-No-3-52593308

If the Chicago Bears had not selected Mitchell Trubisky in the first round, they were reportedly thinking of taking another high-powered offensive weapon.

(See link for video)

In the video above from when the Bears selected Tarik Cohen in the fourth round, the NFL Network's Bucky Brooks mentioned Chicago had interest in taking Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey with the third overall pick.

"To put some context on the Tarik Cohen deal, I had heard speculation they really like Christian McCaffrey," Brooks said. "They were willing to consider Christian McCaffrey at No. 3. They wanted someone on offense who could be a dynamic playmaker out of the backfield that could create mismatches in space."

Even with a Pro Bowl running back already on their roster in Jordan Howard, it is interesting to note the team was at least considering the idea of adding McCaffrey, if Brooks' speculation is true.

McCaffrey backed up his 2,000-yard rushing campaign in 2015 by rushing for 1,603 yards with 13 touchdowns in 2016. The former Heisman trophy runner-up went to the Carolina Panthers with the eighth overall pick.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
How many more of these are we going to have?

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only 4 months till start of season. I'm sure we can do another 20-30 of these a day. What do you guys say?

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

death_gustavus.jpg

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I doubt it. He probably would have taken Fournette over McCaffrey if he went RB.

The only question I really have at all at this point would be if Pace would have chosen Garrett over Trubisky. Even that really doesn't matter but I am curious.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt it. He probably would have taken Fournette over McCaffrey if he went RB.

The only question I really have at all at this point would be if Pace would have chosen Garrett over Trubisky. Even that really doesn't matter but I am curious.

Would have been an interesting pickup and would have definitely shown commitment to the Glennon era even if he had taken a QB later.