Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Can you label some other talents you consider generational?
I think it's moreso "generational talent" rather than "generational player." You might look at a guy coming out of a draft class like Andrew Luck and not be able to remember as complete a prospect as that in the last 10+ years, therefore saying "generational talent."

If Brady and Manning are both "generational players" having played side by side for the vast majority of their career then they inherently wouldn't be "generational players" because there was another right there at the same time at the same position. If there's a guy in the NFL right now that's head and shoulders above any other player at his position and has been for years now, it's Aaron Donald.

Current NFL players that I would call generational are Aaron Donald, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. I believe that generational players can play at the same time if their equals don't come around more than about every 10 yrs or so. Ray Lewis and Urlacher qualify, Revis, Deion, LT( both of them), Ogden, Munoz, Luke Kuechly is borderline.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Have you met Bijan Robinson?

I think he’s a generational talent who will redefine the running back position.
If he can "redefine" the most replaceable position in the NFL this will be a generational #calledit.

skcusIHC

Liked Posts:
A great example of a generational player is Jay Cutler. Here we have a QB who managed to not only win a few games for his own team, but also managed to provide a rival team with 11 victories in just 13 contests.

Smokin Jay established a career completion percentage of 5.3% to the boys wearing Green & Gold. Jay was always great at throwing them the ball, according to one, Charles Woodson.

Only three times in his career did he fail to throw less INT’s than TD’s against his beloved Cheesehead friends.

It’s looked at as an amazing achievement to end up on the Ring of Honor inside the hallowed Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field. While not officially a member, Smokin Jay is undoubtedly accepted as a member from the Tundra faithful. Very few have had such a vital individual impact in Packer wins like Cutler had over the better part of a decade.

All of these accolades really start to add up when one also accounts for Jay holding nearly every relevant QB passing record in Chicago Bears history. We’re talking about the oldest and longest tenured franchise in NFL history. This is the same franchise that only recently lost the bragging rights of all time NFL wins to its bitter rivals in December of 2022. If the ‘86 Bears wouldn’t have had bad luck with QB injuries due to competing in WWF body slam competitions, that squad may have still been a force to this day.

The journey of 4000 yards begins with but a single INT. That has been ‘da Bears way that Jay took to heart. From late July two a days through his 23 career completions to the Packers, it clearly wasn’t a journey that the brat eating, beer drinking, & cheese bleeding fans wanted to see come to an end.

At least there’s a trophy to dust off in the old trophy case…and way more pride than stooping to hanging participant banners. It’s the Packers vs the Bears. The time will come. We’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
To me generational talent is what gets formed into a bronze bust in Canton.

Fields is not that. Could he? Possibly. I’d like to see a ring first.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A great example of a generational player is Jay Cutler. Here we have a QB who managed to not only win a few games for his own team, but also managed to provide a rival team with 11 victories in just 13 contests.

Smokin Jay established a career completion percentage of 5.3% to the boys wearing Green & Gold. Jay was always great at throwing them the ball, according to one, Charles Woodson.

Only three times in his career did he fail to throw less INT’s than TD’s against his beloved Cheesehead friends.

It’s looked at as an amazing achievement to end up on the Ring of Honor inside the hallowed Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field. While not officially a member, Smokin Jay is undoubtedly accepted as a member from the Tundra faithful. Very few have had such a vital individual impact in Packer wins like Cutler had over the better part of a decade.

All of these accolades really start to add up when one also accounts for Jay holding nearly every relevant QB passing record in Chicago Bears history. We’re talking about the oldest and longest tenured franchise in NFL history. This is the same franchise that only recently lost the bragging rights of all time NFL wins to its bitter rivals in December of 2022. If the ‘86 Bears wouldn’t have had bad luck with QB injuries due to competing in WWF body slam competitions, that squad may have still been a force to this day.

The journey of 4000 yards begins with but a single INT. That has been ‘da Bears way that Jay took to heart. From late July two a days through his 23 career completions to the Packers, it clearly wasn’t a journey that the brat eating, beer drinking, & cheese bleeding fans wanted to see come to an end.

At least there’s a trophy to dust off in the old trophy case…and way more pride than stooping to hanging participant banners. It’s the Packers vs the Bears. The time will come. We’ll enjoy it while it lasts.
DESBRO says buzz off

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Which one is your favorite?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Tom Brady isn't a generational talent...he is a LEGENDARY talent. He's in a class with Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammad Ali. Guys who won a boatload of championships and changed the way the game was played.
More of a game manager than what you say.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I called Fields a generational TALENT when we drafted him.

What I meant by that is Fields offered the POTENTIAL to be a once in a decade-ish type of player based on his pedigree (elite level experience and development thru college), athleticism, arm talent, and other intangibles.

A generational PLAYER would be someone who has earned the gold jacket, a consensus first ballot HOFer who stands head and shoulders above his peers unquestionably.

There isn’t always a generational player at any given position. It’s possible for more than one at a position at any given time.

Urlacher was generational while playing at the same time as Ray Lewis. Hester was generational at a position that rarely ever sees that kind of talent.

Fields has a long way to go but I got those same vibes watching him this year as I did watching Hester return kicks. There’s a thrill and excitement to this kind of talent.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is actually a good question ??‍♂️. Fields to me is special, his arm strength, elusiveness, leadership and willingness to learn and adapt however does that equate to generational

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I see this all the time here. “So and so is a generational talent or player”

Usually see it regarding Fields or whoever is the hot player to get drafted #1.

To me a player is generational if there’s only one of them a generation. That’s the guy. It’s beyond even a HOF player. It’s simply the guys no one in their right mind can argue about.

Brady, Rice, LT, Butkus, Reggie, Walter. Etc.

Thoughts?

I’m asking because @Clintk55 thinks Fields rushing ability makes him generational.

I would argue one aspect of a player’s game does not make you generational.

And for the Justin Defense Team this is not a shot at JF1. (Although I’m sure some will think it is)
Didn't read the comments so might have already been said but i've always taken it as implying that he is a generation player at his position. But also that even with that context it is never meant to be taken literally and if you have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss playing in the same game you can call them both generational talents without anyone batting an eye or there being any conflict in that statement.

It should mean the type of talent that only comes around once a generation. And even for a specified position it is overused by broadcasters and media and people run with what they say so the term gets overused. Can you say Urlacher was a once in a generational talent/player? If you look at his size/speed/leadership-intelligence combination he was without question. But if you are comparing him to the other great middle linebackers off his day, both Ray Lewis and London Fletcher have solid arguments for being the best. Does that make him not a generational talent?