What is Charles Tillman's pricetag?

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Peanut is going to be a free agent. He turns 33 in February, and he's coming off of a torn triceps. That's a bad combination for pending free agent. So, how much is he worth? We've seen how dominant he can be, but he was clearly declining this season. He made $8 million last year, but he's not going to make anywhere near that next year. The market for older players in the secondary is brutal, but it's hard to ignore his past success. Guys like Charles Woodson and Terance Newman got under $2 million. There are a lot of younger, better cornerbacks on the market, so Tillman won't have many suitors.

What is the most you would pay him to come back, and for how many years?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Peanut is going to be a free agent. He turns 33 in February, and he's coming off of a torn triceps. That's a bad combination for pending free agent. So, how much is he worth? We've seen how dominant he can be, but he was clearly declining this season. He made $8 million last year, but he's not going to make anywhere near that next year. The market for older players in the secondary is brutal, but it's hard to ignore his past success. Guys like Charles Woodson and Terance Newman got under $2 million. There are a lot of younger, better cornerbacks on the market, so Tillman won't have many suitors.

What is the most you would pay him to come back, and for how many years?

He was CLEARLY declining? Really? That's kind of funny because despite having to play through nagging injuries throughout most of the entire season he played pretty well.

Plus you can't put a price tag on veteran savvy, that is Tillman knowing how to play inside leverage, outside leverage, when to under cut a route and when not to plus his uncanny ability to punch out the ball and force turnovers, he's still one of the most physical corners in the league.

There's things that Tillman does because he knows how to play the game, things that Tim Jennings is still learning to do but is getting better at but a rookie CB will be completely lost trying to do. The Bears would be wise to bring Tillman back on a two year deal and let him mentor his own replacement instead of just throwing a new guy out there to the wolves, Jordy Nelson, some guy named Calvin Johnson who I guess is pretty good.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He was CLEARLY declining? Really? That's kind of funny because despite having to play through nagging injuries throughout most of the entire season he played pretty well.

Plus you can't put a price tag on veteran savvy, that is Tillman knowing how to play inside leverage, outside leverage, when to under cut a route and when not to plus his uncanny ability to punch out the ball and force turnovers, he's still one of the most physical corners in the league.

There's things that Tillman does because he knows how to play the game, things that Tim Jennings is still learning to do but is getting better at but a rookie CB will be completely lost trying to do. The Bears would be wise to bring Tillman back on a two year deal and let him mentor his own replacement instead of just throwing a new guy out there to the wolves, Jordy Nelson, some guy named Calvin Johnson who I guess is pretty good.

tillman's decline has clearly begun. the injuries have started up and he's not going to magically get healthier. he was already showing signs last year of falling off. i think lovie will value him more then the bears will at this point. if he's willing to come back cheap, then sure. but he shouldn't be counted on as a starter. the end comes fast for cornerbacks.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Tillman will be fine. People were trying to right him off five years ago when he had serious back issue's. Ray lewis recovered just fine from the same injury late in his career. Its a freak thing not some nagging chronic problem. He was playing well before the injury ( not maniac defensive player of the year front runner like the year prior) so I disagree with Zen above.
Its not like he's recovering from a serious lower leg injury where his speed would be in question. People are forgetting he was going to PLAY if we had made the playoffs.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:

I'm not saying he was bad by any means, but is was pretty apparent that he was not as good as previous years. Injuries had a lot to do with it, but even when healthy you could see the decline. Plus, I know everyone hates PFF on here, but it was by far his worst year by them, coming in at -6.5 on the season

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Football is a tough game and players get hurt a lot. Sometimes they get hurt more often than in other years. Yet age has absolutely nothing to do with injuries and there's absolutely no correlation between age and more injuries.

If age had something to do with injuries then Brett Favre, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would have or would be missing more games due to their age than Jay Cutler has during his young age. This myth that age has some correlation with injuries is just silly, especially when it comes to football when you can be injured on the very next play.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Peanut could keep playing even when a few of his physical skills diminish because he plays with what's between his ears. He's never relied on speed to begin with. Like champ Bailey and Charles Woodson later in their career's. Their games morphed into something Different.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
There was no decline in Tillman's play this past season. None, whatsoever.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reading comprehension is your friend, dickhead. You said, and I quote, "there is absolutely no correlation between age and more injuries". A scholarly review of the available research instantly proves you are full of horse shit. I never said a thing about geriatrics vs young adults; I just smashed your stupid remark about age having nothing whatever to do with injuries. When you make absolute sweeping statements that can be crushed with a 15 second google search all you do is reinforce your consensus position as the CCS village idiot. Now go play in traffic.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Tillman is probably worth around 3 million to the Bears with a little incentive money to bump it up to around 4 million. Having said that, the chances he stays on the field are not that good anymore so the Bears are just better off getting younger at the position.

I'd say the same about Lance Briggs. If the Bears are able to draft CJ Mosley, they can resign DJ Williams for another season to play the WLB where he is a better fit, and cut Briggs to save substantial cap room that can be invested into the DL.

Then the LB core could be something like:

WLB - Williams, Bostic
MLB- Mosley, Bostic, Williams
SLB - Resign Anderson?, Shea?, Greene

JIMMY MAC FAN

Liked Posts:
It is tough to say how much he is worth until we see how many teams are actually interested in him. Everyone seems to think Tampa Bay is the most likely place he will land because of Lovie. I would estimate his value between 3-5 mil per year. Will be interesting to watch what happens with him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I've never claimed to be a contract guy, so I don't know if this makes sense or is even possible. But I'm thinking 2-year deal, 12Mil. 3.5Mil guaranteed. Structured so that the 3.5 is the base for this year, with incentives to get up to 6Mil, and then 6Mil for 2015....but he'd likely be cut after 2014 unless he's amazing and then restructures.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
3 million, tops. 1 year.

I think this is probably accurate.

I'd like to see us giving him a 2-year contract worth about 6 mill, and then he could retire. That'd be good for all.

BigShoulders

Liked Posts:
I think someone will offer him something in the neighborhood of 2 years $9-10M with most of the first year guaranteed. I think that's too much for a team who wants their defense to get younger and likely wants players who excel at pressing more. I'd rather sign a mid level FA for $3-4m/year and draft a CB, one of the deepest spots in the draft, esp. for players likely to go in rounds 2 and 3. Let those two fight it out for the second corner spot.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Age is more important than play. So his age coming off the injury likely won't get him much. Typically, a player like this will only get a 1 year deal. Woodson got a 1 year $4.3 mil deal after missing 9 games, but it wasn't only 2 seasons ago he led the NFL in interceptions and 2009 was dpoy. Tillman has been good but not that good.

However, one thing that was strange is that Tillman wouldn't allow the Bears to release statements on him having surgery. It's actually still uncomfirmed. That goes back to early December. This makes me think that he's been eyeing some place else for awhile. Secondly, Lovie gets that job. Lastly, he about the first free agent to say that he's testing the market.

I'm going to bet that he gets a 2-3 year deal for $2-$3 mil a year to play for Tampa. The reason for the exception is that he knows well enough that the Bears and most other teams won't give him more than a 1 year deal. And at his age after 11 years in Chicago, where he's incredibly entrenched in the community with his family... Peanut is not going to go play on a 1 year deal for another team. But... to play a few years for his old coach in a warm climate, take the family to a nice condo on the beach. That's a nice 2-3 year vacation before retirement. And he'd play opposite Revis or at least be an awesome nickel. For Lovie, it's a chance to get some good play out of Tillman and have him teach some players the Lovie concept, the strip fumble, the mentality.

IF that is not in the cards, I don't think he'll just take a crappy 1 year deal for someone else. Then maybe we can sign him to a 1 year $2 mil deal on the cheap. Even if we found another corner... Tillman would be a monster at nickel and we have to get rid of Frey, who was useless back there.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Yes he was still playing at a pretty high level but do you know what the word declining means? Was he playing better then last year, as good as last year? No his play on the field was declining and he didnt look like the same Tillman.