What is Justin Fields ceiling?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I said second year as a starter. Not just second year. In Young's second year as a starter, he had a 101 passer rating. Warner won the MVP as a rookie. Simms isn't in the HOF, neither is McNair (and both are mediocre, anyway). Brees maybe, but it's close.

Either way, my point is that by now, you'd be seeing something. I don't see anything with Fields, other than he's really fast and he can avoid sacks when he wants to. As far as him standing back there, making more than two reads and throwing darts like that kid in KC? No. Not at all. He looks as if he's lost most of the time, like the game is too fast for him. He makes very poor decisions. Doesn't appear to be comfortable in the pocket unless there's zero pressure. Doesn't carry himself with any poise... he just doesn't look the part at all.

But hey... I hope I'm proven wrong. No one wants to win more than me. I just don't see it happening.

Yeah Mcnair nor simms were HOF'er.. Simms was a Superbowl winner though... Just wanted to see if youd look it up...

Warner was cut his second year.... but starting is the goal post huh.. Youre leaving out a lil detail though. Dalton was QB1 last year. So technically this is JRocks first year starting, right?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He has only started 12 games and 10 of those with an awful coach. He didn't even have any first team reps in the 2021 preseason. He has the arm, can make all the throws, is very athletic and is very football smart. He is a leader and is already chanhing his routine so he can study even more film. He wants to succeed at a top level. He can be elite and that is his ceiling. Allen looked bad at first. Hurts and Tua looked bad at first and they are both progressing and moving up the list of best qb's. Yes, he has some bad habits from The Ohio State. but they all can be coached out of him.

It's way too early to call Tua and Hurts elite let's not get crazy. Has he had flashes that show he can be elite? Not really his throwing motion is slow and makes him a fumbling mess. He has yet to learn to read a defense. He's still learning the playroom not a fast learner.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would say Steve Young?

His arm and anticipation and smarts might not be Montana or Brady, but when you can run like Steve young or Mike Vick it covers up a lot.

Yet he can't run like them. If a slow Steve Young is his comp Bears a truly screwed. Yikes.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The problem is that the new OC is no better than Nagy. Whatever the fuck his name is
Right we can judge Getsy this early but not Fields right?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields' ceiling is he needs to play quarterback like every other quarterback in the league for more games before we decide if he sucks balls or if he's great.

I wish the whole of CCS would stop legitimizing this type of discussion because it's as big of a waste of time as some nerd's mock draft that was probably engineered with about 10% accuracy.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As i said in preseason.. hes gotz all the tools.. just lacks some lvl of awareness.. once he gets that madden awr update.. its ova for the league..

i think some ccs'er are just haterz.. they refuse to believe a black man is willing to work that hard when paid...

Bears messed up by not going after Russell Wilson enough

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

LOL, now u know that was a troll statement.:bearstroll:

Who are u? Why are u coming with the sole purpose of tearing down JF?

Calling him an average mid NFL QB with his potential is hating? That's just silly. It's worse to give Fields unrealistic standards he'll never live up too.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Justin Fields' ceiling is he needs to play quarterback like every other quarterback in the league for more games before we decide if he sucks balls or if he's great.

I wish the whole of CCS would stop legitimizing this type of discussion because it's as big of a waste of time as some nerd's mock draft that was probably engineered with about 10% accuracy.

Be honest though has Fields flashed at all to you to show he's going to be elite? I say no but he'll definitely be an okay QB. He still holds the ball way too long, he's not a fast learner, throwing motion is slow but does have a good arm.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
If he doesn’t improve the mental side of his passing game, he won’t be in the league much past the expiration of his rookie contract. Kaepernick might be a good comparison, although I think Fields has got a much better arm. I’m still holding out hope he can learn and grow as a passer, he has the physical tools to be great, but his recent comments about bears fans tell me he’s not yet an effective leader when the chips are down, and we only lost 1 away game to a great team. I hope he learns from mistakes like that and continues to grow. It’s still early in his career and he can turn it around, but so far it seems like the metaphorical sinking ship that us bears fans have grown accustomed to from our young QBs over the years.

Reactions: Myk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember someone making a Daunte Culpepper comp at some point before the draft. I'm not an all-22 watcher or QB guru so I'm hardly the person to know whether that comparison holds any water, but thought it was interesting as I remember Daunte being a monster for the Vikings for a few years.
Randy Moss will do that for you

shoez90

Liked Posts:
i d
He just doesn't have it he does have the Mahomes, Joe Burrow arm or the Lamar Jackson running abilities. He's just a guy who's pretty good at everything and learned a ton of bad maybe potentially irreversible habits.

Fans desperately want him to be the next Aaron Rodgers but Santa Claus isn't real folks.
I disagree on this one I think he is Mahomes-esk in that he is very improvisational. Let's not pretend Mahomes is on a team of newbs and who knows. But I think he needs more confidence in his coaches and vice versa. He still has a few learning curves I can admit that. However, image him with a decent line and a go to wide receiver. I think that is very possible next year and we may see a bright future in the windy city.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
i d

I disagree on this one I think he is Mahomes-esk in that he is very improvisational. Let's not pretend Mahomes is on a team of newbs and who knows. But I think he needs more confidence in his coaches and vice versa. He still has a few learning curves I can admit that. However, image him with a decent line and a go to wide receiver. I think that is very possible next year and we may see a bright future in the windy city.

Mooney and other receivers were open but Fields was just too indecisive to throw it. I can't figure out why he's so scared to throw it.

Judging by the press conference and his play style i think his confidence is at an all time low.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m gonna say this and hope it’s true.

But Jay Cutler should be his floor.
The record breaking “rusher” and passer Steve Young his ceiling.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Be honest though has Fields flashed at all to you to show he's going to be elite? I say no but he'll definitely be an okay QB. He still holds the ball way too long, he's not a fast learner, throwing motion is slow but does have a good arm.

I wouldn't rule out elite, but probably not. How many elite QBs do you expect to be in the league at any given time? If people are saying Mahomes and Allen are the young ones odds are there won't be too many more.

Mooney and other receivers were open but Fields was just too indecisive to throw it. I can't figure out why he's so scared to throw it.

Judging by the press conference and his play style i think his confidence is at an all time low.

We punish that just like we've punished one handed catches in practice. We demand young QBs be safe then complain they can't learn to be successfully reckless.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I wouldn't rule out elite, but probably not. How many elite QBs do you expect to be in the league at any given time? If people are saying Mahomes and Allen are the young ones odds are there won't be too many more.

We punish that just like we've punished one handed catches in practice. We demand young QBs be safe then complain they can't learn to be successfully reckless.

The offensive line can't handle that many pass plays so that puts pressure on the few passing plays Justin Fields does throw. The goal seems to be tire out the defense with the running game and then throw later in the game. This is hindering his development even further.