What is the fascination on this board with Mahomes?

Liked Posts:
Seriously.

Every thread I see is "draft a blue-chip defensive player in the 1st and Mahomes in the second - maybe even trade up for him."

Maybe I'm missing something, so explain it to me.

I see a player with gaudy stats - see: every Texas Tech QB for the last two decades - grossly inflated by a gimmicky super-spread offense with very little experience as a pocket passer and production that was largely accumulated against a league filled with suspect (at best) defenses.

What is even more bizarre, a lot of his supporters seem to be Watson detractors. Except... they're sort of the same player.

"Doesn't play in an NFL offense." Neither does Mahomes.

"Makes a lot of questionable, risky throws." So does Mahomes.

"Runs too much; needs to develop more as a pocket passer." So does Mahomes.

The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running.

So what is it about Mahomes besides the TD numbers that you folks actually like?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Seriously.

Every thread I see is "draft a blue-chip defensive player in the 1st and Mahomes in the second - maybe even trade up for him."

Maybe I'm missing something, so explain it to me.

I see a player with gaudy stats - see: every Texas Tech QB for the last two decades - grossly inflated by a gimmicky super-spread offense with very little experience as a pocket passer and production that was largely accumulated against a league filled with suspect (at best) defenses.

What is even more bizarre, a lot of his supporters seem to be Watson detractors. Except... they're sort of the same player.

"Doesn't play in an NFL offense." Neither does Mahomes.

"Makes a lot of questionable, risky throws." So does Mahomes.

"Runs too much; needs to develop more as a pocket passer." So does Mahomes.

The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running.

So what is it about Mahomes besides the TD numbers that you folks actually like?

The main thing I think goes through people's heads is that they feel like drafting a QB at 3 is a waste when a blue chip player is available. And at the same time, drafting a QB in the 2nd round is still high enough where that player could turn out to be franchise caliber.

I don't know enough about Mahomes to make an evaluation but I do think he will be available in the 2nd. So that is why his name is thrown in.

Me personally, I want Watson, but if he is not taken, I would like to see Kaaya in the 2nd because he is very accurate and that is something you can't teach.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
People like that he is a QB prospect that will be available after the first round. Once that fact is established, there is a certain class of individuals that will look past any negatives about him and insist that he can be trained into the kind of guy that can lead a franchise for a decade (disregarding the history of QBs from air raid offenses in the pros).

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
TT's offense is way more gimmicky than Clemson's and Mahomes is miles further away from being an NFL QB than Watson.

I agree with the premise of the OP other than that, though. Don't get the Mahomes thing at all. It's almost (but not quite) as bizarre as the idea that 5-techs win superbowls.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
So if you are telling me that Mahomes is the same as Watson, then why would you waste the third overall on Watson when you can get Mahomes?

Anyway if there is a preference between the two, I believe it is because the scouting has said Mahomes is a more accurate passer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The main thing I think goes through people's heads is that they feel like drafting a QB at 3 is a waste when a blue chip player is available. And at the same time, drafting a QB in the 2nd round is still high enough where that player could turn out to be franchise caliber.

I don't know enough about Mahomes to make an evaluation but I do think he will be available in the 2nd. So that is why his name is thrown in.

Me personally, I want Watson, but if he is not taken, I would like to see Kaaya in the 2nd because he is very accurate and that is something you can't teach.

Walter now has him going late 1st. FWIW.

Liked Posts:
So if you are telling me that Mahomes is the same as Watson, then why would you waste the third overall on Watson when you can get Mahomes?

Anyway if there is a preference between the two, I believe it is because the scouting has said Mahomes is a more accurate passer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

"The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running."

I'd say that's a big difference.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Walter now has him going late 1st. FWIW.

Walter doesnt know anything more about drafting than anyone on this board. Let that sink in for a minute

Liked Posts:
TT's offense is way more gimmicky than Clemson's and Mahomes is miles further away from being an NFL QB than Watson.

I agree with the premise of the OP other than that, though. Don't get the Mahomes thing at all. It's almost (but not quite) as bizarre as the idea that 5-techs win superbowls.

Didn't mean to suggest TT's offense was less gimmicky; it certainly is.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn't impressed at all with Mahomes in the two times I saw him. I admittedly don't have the acumen of The Hawk or BearsFan51, so take my evaluation at face value.

What does PFF think?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not even an obsession with Mahomes.

It's this bizarre obsession with trying to get this best value pick like NFL GMs are shopping on Amazon.

It's not that Mahomes is a good quarterback...he's just a good deal. Then you can draft so and so in the first and win the draft.

Just as bad as the people that want to trade down if "no one good is on the board when we pick".

(I blame Fantasy Football)

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly haven't seen a lot of Mahomes but it looks like the next time he doesn't throw off his back foot or step into a throw it will be his first.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
200_s.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It's this bizarre obsession with trying to get this best value pick like NFL GMs are shopping on Amazon.

It's not that Mahomes is a good quarterback...he's just a good deal. Then you can draft so and so in the first and win the draft.

You've nailed it. That really does seem to be how people think. People are way too concerned with the sum of draft value. Too concerned with where players are picked rather than picking the right players.

"Yeah that guy could be our QB, but [insert media outlet/draft blog] has their grade lower than #3, so let's draft some defender and dumpster dive for the QB later, where the value is right". :facepalm:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
gunslinger mentality, throws off back foot more often than not, footwork is just bad..sounds a lot like cutler

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I wouldnt take Kaaya till the 3rd or 4th, I think he will drop like Cook did. Kaaya really needs work in the pocket, he doesnt keep his eyes down the field when the rush is coming. Has concrete feet in the pocket, questions about his leadership coming out in Miami.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Just as bad as the people that want to trade down if "no one good is on the board when we pick".

(I blame Fantasy Football)

This. Yet the irony is Mahomes has no value in the second. QBs who need to be rebuilt from the ground up don't belong in the early rounds. The other board "value pick" Kaaya is even worse. At least there is upside to Mahomes.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mahomes makes a lot of flashy plays for Texas Tech. He's fun to watch. Kind of like Baker Mayfield. He's exciting. He gets all scrambley runs around a bit then makes a throw. It's entertaining football and gets people excited. But that doesn't mean it's NFL football. Mahomes has SOME tools. I don't view him as anything near a 1st rounder or even a 2nd rounder, but that's me. I'd start kicking the tires in the 3rd..or late 2nd if you want to trade back into the round for him. He's a guy that will take a lot more time in the NFL.

As others have said though, I don't think it's a deal of really liking anything about Mahomes specifically. I have yet to see in all these Mahomes mentions around here specifically what guys advocating for him like about him as an NFL passer mechanically or strategically. I think as others have said it's a "This guy has big stats, is fun to watch, and will be available in the 2nd round..he's a great value!"....But.... IS he a great value? What makes him an NFL QB and thus makes him a value? What's your evaluation?

I think people are scared of missing on a QB at #3 rather than missing on a QB at #35. When you could just as easily miss on any other position at #3.

Last edited:

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Hence FWIW, let me know when that sinks in, sometime 10 years from now.

That indicates that the statement that Walter lists him in the first is a statement of value. My post was about how walter's take on it wasnt work jack

If it hurt your feelings that I was being critical of walter, then so be it, but you should look into growing thicker skin.