Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
The Sun-Times had a piece that was partially right but way wrong in some areas.

What They Got Right
Pace screwed up on the O-Line. No two ways about it, and fixing it is perhaps priority #1.
The only reliable pieced are Daniels at one guard spot, Whitehair at center, and Borom at a tackle spot.
Jenkins is hurt too often for me to count on. Mustiphar may or may not help.
This is why I move Quinn and 2022 and 2024 second-rounders to get two second-rounders and two third-rounders in my mock offseason. I want Zion Johnson for one guard spot and Daniel Faalele for another tackle spot.

Nagy's Dalton fixation meant Fields had little time to work with A-Rob and Graham, among others, and that lack of reps hurt when he was thrust into QB1 so early.

What They Got Wrong
Tight end is in good shape for another year or two if they extend Graham. In 2020, he had 50 receptions for 456 yards and 8 TDs with Trubisky/Foles. In 2021, Nagy cut his playing time, but his pace if he'd had comparabe targets to 2020 would have been 42 receptions, 501 yards, and 9 TDs. Combined with Kmet, that's a good tandem.

At running back the Montgomery/Herbert combo is extremely good, and should be counted on to take pressure off Fields.

Wide receiver, if the Bears can bring back A-Rob, there's a good one-two punch with him and Mooney. Damiere Byrd is a nice #3 (maybe worth a look for a bigger role, given his 68.4 catch percentage) and Jakeem Grant and Dazz Newsome look like they can help. If A-rob is not coming back, use free agency to get a receiver and add one through the draft.

I think a lot of the offensive players will improve with a full training camp of Fields as the QB1. But the O-Line needs some young talent desperately.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
"What is there around Fields?"

That ^^^ has to be the single most misleading thread topic this month. Here I thought we were going to have a pleasant conversation about the lack of anything around Justin Fields, but nooooo... just a mock offseason with a Graham extension. You sir are a lunatic.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

What They Got Right
Pace screwed up on the O-Line. No two ways about it, and fixing it is perhaps priority #1.
The only reliable pieced are Daniels at one guard spot, Whitehair at center, and Borom at a tackle spot.
This is why I move Quinn and 2022 and 2024 second-rounders to get two second-rounders and two third-rounders in my mock offseason. I want Zion Johnson for one guard spot and Daniel Faalele for another tackle spot.

Nagy's Dalton fixation meant Fields had little time to work with A-Rob and Graham, among others, and that lack of reps hurt when he was thrust into QB1 so early.

What They Got Wrong
Tight end is in good shape for another year or two if they extend Graham. In 2020, he had 50 receptions for 456 yards and 8 TDs with Trubisky/Foles. In 2021, Nagy cut his playing time, but his pace if he'd had comparabe targets to 2020 would have been 42 receptions, 501 yards, and 9 TDs. Combined with Kmet, that's a good tandem.

At running back the Montgomery/Herbert combo is extremely good, and should be counted on to take pressure off Fields.

Wide receiver, if the Bears can bring back A-Rob, there's a good one-two punch with him and Mooney. Damiere Byrd is a nice #3 (maybe worth a look for a bigger role, given his 68.4 catch percentage) and Jakeem Grant and Dazz Newsome look like they can help. If A-rob is not coming back, use free agency to get a receiver and add one through the draft.

I think a lot of the offensive players will improve with a full training camp of Fields as the QB1. But the O-Line needs some young talent desperately.
I'm not following the 'What they Got Right' and 'What they Got Wrong'. Just seems like a giant word salad of rights and wrongs, but mainly wrongs

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fixing the OL was obviously Paces job #1 last year. Borom has not looked better than Jenkins in his last couple outings. Jenkins has had one real injury. How is that injury prone? He played better than expected, after his very crappy 1st outing, especially considering how few reps and lack of core work before playing.

I like Whitehair's blocking at C but he can't shotgun a spiral and the snap takes longer to get there. Takes the QBs eyes off the routes and also longer to grab and load once it reaches the QB. Unless he figures that out, he shouldn't be at C regardless of how well he fits otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I promoted the possibility of him at C the day he was drafted and even before the Bear considered it but if he can't snap properly, the rest doesn't matter.

I haven't given up on Daniels but he's been kinda bad at pass blocking . Mustipher isn't yet a lost cause but if he doesn't get stronger he's a backup. I'd love Whitehair at center if he could learn to long snap and then find more beef block at G which he is not. I can't be certain but I think we may have our Ts and need to concentrate more on the interior. Cody if very average at G, lacks an anchor but has great hands. Daniels also average but makes a big miss now and then, still young and beefy enough to develop.

Graham? On a team that is tight on cap and in a restructure? :ROFLMAO:
AR? On a team that is tight on cap and in a restructure? :ROFLMAO:

You're trading Quinn for 2, 3rd round picks?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

What They Got Right

What They Got Wrong

I think the take on the offensive line is awful. Its like absolutely no one knows what the fuck they are looking at.

Jenkins and Borom have room to grow, but BOTH showed flashes of blue chip value at the tackle spots, and under better Offensive line coaching, should both be very good at the ends. Bears need a solid veteran swing tackle as a backup to either spot, just in case either regresses, but I don't think they will.

The interior O-line is a fucking mess, guard to guard, and anyone who says otherwise is just grabbing flawed stats off of PFF and doesn't know what the fuck they are looking at.

• Whitehair had a total regression of a season and all too often was getting rag-dolled by the opposing defender.
  • Mustipher is probably the only lineman there is universal consensus on that he sucks and also was getting pushed around like crazy.
  • James Daniels is terribly, terribly, TERRIBLY overrated. Yes, he would have some plays where he looked really good. And then on the next play, HE would get rag-dolled and pushed into the quarterback's face. Just EXTREMELY inconsistent. Yes, I am aware of the shitty PFF stat out there that claims he has a high Pass block win rate. That stat only measures whether a blocker engages and doesn't let go. If the blocker doesn't let go of the defender but gets pushed into the pocket and into the QB's face, that stat counts that as a pass block WIN. That's how bad that stat is. So save it if you want to bring it up here, and instead go watch the actual games. I would not mind Daniels coming back on a team friendly deal and with competition for his spot, but in this market, I think Daniels will get top dollar elsewhere, and to me, he isn't good enough to be worth paying him that on the Bears.

Bears need to fix the O-line and replace everyone on the interior - guard to guard. Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. The QB needs a pocket to step into, and last year, regardless of QB, they often didn't have that because of the interior getting bulldozed....

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think the take on the offensive line is awful. Its like absolutely no one knows what the fuck they are looking at.

Jenkins and Borom have room to grow, but BOTH showed flashes of blue chip value at the tackle spots, and under better Offensive line coaching, should both be very good at the ends. Bears need a solid veteran swing tackle as a backup to either spot, just in case either regresses, but I don't think they will.

The interior O-line is a fucking mess, guard to guard, and anyone who says otherwise is just grabbing flawed stats off of PFF and doesn't know what the fuck they are looking at.

• Whitehair had a total regression of a season and all too often was getting rag-dolled by the opposing defender.
  • Mustipher is probably the only lineman there is universal consensus on that he sucks and also was getting pushed around like crazy.
  • James Daniels is terribly, terribly, TERRIBLY overrated. Yes, he would have some plays where he looked really good. And then on the next play, HE would get rag-dolled and pushed into the quarterback's face. Just EXTREMELY inconsistent. Yes, I am aware of the shitty PFF stat out there that claims he has a high Pass block win rate. That stat only measures whether a blocker engages and doesn't let go. If the blocker doesn't let go of the defender but gets pushed into the pocket and into the QB's face, that stat counts that as a pass block WIN. That's how bad that stat is. So save it if you want to bring it up here, and instead go watch the actual games. I would not mind Daniels coming back on a team friendly deal and with competition for his spot, but in this market, I think Daniels will get top dollar elsewhere, and to me, he isn't good enough to be worth paying him that on the Bears.

Bears need to fix the O-line and replace everyone on the interior - guard to guard. Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. The QB needs a pocket to step into, and last year, regardless of QB, they often didn't have that because of the interior getting bulldozed....
The line plays as a unit. So for me, it’s hard to get a complete evaluation on Whitehair and Daniel’s when they had to try to cover for Mustifer, plus always adjusting to mediocre/young OT play.

Even if our OGs could use an upgrade, I think they stand to be night and day better with a better C, and with Borom and Jenkins back healthy and with a bit of experience.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

What They Got Right

What They Got Wrong

oline - aside from borom, the group is basically useless...it is possible that whitehair could rebound under a different coach/ oline coach. is daniels worth resigning? he's had some ups and downs and imo i dont think hes worth the money he'll likely command. jenkins is basically a rookie given he hardly played this year and so he cant be counted on. Mustipher is hot garbage and noone else is worth mentioning.

wr - goodbye robinson, he's not even worth trying to bring back...aside from mooney the whole WR room needs to be revamped. goodwin looks like a shell of his former shelf, byrd is very average and should only be the 4th-5th wr as depth. newsome played sparingly and cannot be counted on. grant didnt look too bad but i also dont think he'll give the bears a discount on a contract and is he worth 5-6 mill a season?

rb- this is the only true strength of the team...montgomery and herbert is a great 1-2 punch...if cohen is retained then he'll give good value on 3rd downs but not sure he is retained given his contract.

greg23

Liked Posts:
It's been over a year + now.....just make a thread where we trade everything we have for the #1 overall to take faalele

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Did you really just say extend Graham?
giphy.gif

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
"What is there around Fields?" Usually, a parking lot. Some bars and restaurants, a bus stop or two, perhaps in some places a subway stop. Grass, Streets, signage and guys hawking tickets.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The new coaching staff, when looking to implement their system, will evaluate each position group.

At that time they will identify shortcomings, talk to the GM and look to make the team better.

Pretending how you know the current roster fits into a system of an unhired, unknown coach is a waste of time. You are evaluating the players solely on Nagy's system, which was one of the reasons he was fired, so it's hard to property evaluate player talent in what is a broken system.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
O-line used to always be a strong suit for the Bears in the 80s and early 90s. Those teams were not always good, but they were respectable. The common denominator with Bears "clown show" years is ALWAYS the offensive line. When we put a team out there that is sloppy, unorganized, undisciplined, and painful to watch....we have a bad o-line.

I will know immediately how good our HC and GM is going to be on how they handle the offensive line. Renting players to patch the line with duct tape never works. Using the 2nd round pick on a WR will be a huge red flag for me.

Mustipher - Not even NFL caliber.
Daniels - not under contact, probably not worth resigning, was drafted as a center and never made it.
Whitehair - I'm not looking it up, but he's due like $8M from $1.5M thanks to Pace, he's gotta get cut next year.
Jenkins - unproven and often injured.
Borom - unproven and missed a lot of time too.

It's not just about filling the roster for this coming year, You have to start looking at 2023 too. That's what good teams do.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
O-line used to always be a strong suit for the Bears in the 80s and early 90s. Those teams were not always good, but they were respectable. The common denominator with Bears "clown show" years is ALWAYS the offensive line. When we put a team out there that is sloppy, unorganized, undisciplined, and painful to watch....we have a bad o-line.

I will know immediately how good our HC and GM is going to be on how they handle the offensive line. Renting players to patch the line with duct tape never works. Using the 2nd round pick on a WR will be a huge red flag for me.

Mustipher - Not even NFL caliber.
Daniels - not under contact, probably not worth resigning, was drafted as a center and never made it.
Whitehair - I'm not looking it up, but he's due like $8M from $1.5M thanks to Pace, he's gotta get cut next year.
Jenkins - unproven and often injured.
Borom - unproven and missed a lot of time too.

It's not just about filling the roster for this coming year, You have to start looking at 2023 too. That's what good teams do.
You can't do that thanks to Pace. I would resign Daniels, he is still very young and will start anywhere in the NFL. Whitehair is just a guy, he's not terrible. You can cut Goldman, Cohen, Danny T and get the cap up to $44M.

If I were GM I would do that and then go after a C or LT in free agency and move Larry inside and Jenkins to RT. In that scenario, you can let Daniels walk.. They should have enough cap space to make one big signing, but there will be A LOT of one year rentals especially on defense.

Draft BPA: CB/WR/OL

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its so Bears to have a QB they'd like to develop with no OL, 1 WR, no TE and no 1st round pick, and forcing this ass-backwards mess on a new regime. Throw in the possibility of signing a defensive HC before they hire a GM just to make it all perfectly fucked.

SMH