What Is There Around Fields?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
You can't do that thanks to Pace. I would resign Daniels, he is still very young and will start anywhere in the NFL. Whitehair is just a guy, he's not terrible. You can cut Goldman, Cohen, Danny T and get the cap up to $44M.

If I were GM I would do that and then go after a C or LT in free agency and move Larry inside and Jenkins to RT. In that scenario, you can let Daniels walk.. They should have enough cap space to make one big signing, but there will be A LOT of one year rentals especially on defense.

Draft BPA: CB/WR/OL
Borom to guard?

That's the other thing that sticks out to me. The Bears playing musical chairs on o-line and it doesn't really work either.

Thanks to Pace's years of trading picks we have too many holes and not enough resources. I prefer to focus on the o-line and CB....WR can wait until next year. We can just sign some dime-a-dozen WR this year. If we cannot block, they cannot get open, and it's a waste of time. At least a good o-line could augment our run, so we don't get stuffed on 3rd and short and QB sneaks.

I don't know about you guys, but I never had faith this year when we were 3rd or 4th and 1 this year.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You lost me blaming Pace for the oline. The bears haven't had an oline long enough to believe that is an organization issue. Fans embrace it further confirming the teams has a long history of convincing them that anyone can play oline, but only elite defense can threaten it.
Where Pace screwed up was Smith and Mack (and trading up for Trubisky). Pretending this just started with this GM and this oline is BS when I can't think of the Bears having oline for a very long time.
It has to be coming from someone who hasn't lost their job a lot longer than any GM/HC.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would resign Daniels

If the Bears bring Daniels back, I think you should give him another shot at center. It would be new coaches with a new offense, so it's a good time to make the switch. He was not doing very good at RG at all, but still far more talented than Mustipher.

I mean wasn't that his thing in college @Hawkeye. ???

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fixing the OL was obviously Paces job #1 last year. Borom has not looked better than Jenkins in his last couple outings. Jenkins has had one real injury. How is that injury prone? He played better than expected, after his very crappy 1st outing, especially considering how few reps and lack of core work before playing.

I like Whitehair's blocking at C but he can't shotgun a spiral and the snap takes longer to get there. Takes the QBs eyes off the routes and also longer to grab and load once it reaches the QB. Unless he figures that out, he shouldn't be at C regardless of how well he fits otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I promoted the possibility of him at C the day he was drafted and even before the Bear considered it but if he can't snap properly, the rest doesn't matter.

I haven't given up on Daniels but he's been kinda bad at pass blocking . Mustipher isn't yet a lost cause but if he doesn't get stronger he's a backup. I'd love Whitehair at center if he could learn to long snap and then find more beef block at G which he is not. I can't be certain but I think we may have our Ts and need to concentrate more on the interior. Cody if very average at G, lacks an anchor but has great hands. Daniels also average but makes a big miss now and then, still young and beefy enough to develop.

Graham? On a team that is tight on cap and in a restructure? :ROFLMAO:
AR? On a team that is tight on cap and in a restructure? :ROFLMAO:

You're trading Quinn for 2, 3rd round picks?:ROFLMAO:
just curious, what do you think we could get for Quinn?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
You lost me blaming Pace for the oline. The bears haven't had an oline long enough to believe that is an organization issue. Fans embrace it further confirming the teams has a long history of convincing them that anyone can play oline, but only elite defense can threaten it.
Where Pace screwed up was Smith and Mack (and trading up for Trubisky). Pretending this just started with this GM and this oline is BS when I can't think of the Bears having oline for a very long time.
It has to be coming from someone who hasn't lost their job a lot longer than any GM/HC.
The GM that's been employed by the Bears for 7 years isn't to blame for the current state of the o-line?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
O-line used to always be a strong suit for the Bears in the 80s and early 90s. Those teams were not always good, but they were respectable. The common denominator with Bears "clown show" years is ALWAYS the offensive line. When we put a team out there that is sloppy, unorganized, undisciplined, and painful to watch....we have a bad o-line.

I will know immediately how good our HC and GM is going to be on how they handle the offensive line. Renting players to patch the line with duct tape never works. Using the 2nd round pick on a WR will be a huge red flag for me.

Mustipher - Not even NFL caliber.
Daniels - not under contact, probably not worth resigning, was drafted as a center and never made it.
Whitehair - I'm not looking it up, but he's due like $8M from $1.5M thanks to Pace, he's gotta get cut next year.
Jenkins - unproven and often injured.
Borom - unproven and missed a lot of time too.

It's not just about filling the roster for this coming year, You have to start looking at 2023 too. That's what good teams do.

• Mustipher - He's currently in the NFL, so by definition he's 'NFL caliber'. You can say he's not good, but it's hard to say he shouldn't have a job in the NFL while also having him employed by an NFL team.
  • Daniels - I agree. Based on his career to this point he's definitely not going to be a priority FA for the next GM. I do however think he'll be a player someone else signs and he does better than expected (think Leno).
  • Whitehair - His cap number is $12.3M to keep and will cost $12.5M to cut, so he'll cost an extra ~$200K to cut AND you'll have to sign someone to play in his place. IMHO he's going no where especially since he has C/G versatility, there really isn't much depth along the OL and the new GM and coach will be in evaluation mode.
  • Jenkins - Already a guard? Interesting.
  • Borom - His story gives me some hope. It's not that he turned out great, but rather a complete unknown can pop up and give you some decent snaps. He's also got enough reps to know what he needs to work on in the offseason and he'll get a chance.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Usually trees. But in the bears case, it’s fucking scorched earth.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Look...offensive lines are great to have....but look around at the teams always left in the playoffs at this stage and beyond

1) elite qb play
2) weapons galore

This team better hope/develop fields and get him WEAPONS

Burrows oline sucks....how was his season and weapons? Elite

Mahomes is on his 3rd different line combo in 3 seasons....how were his last 3 years and weapons?

Point is.....and elite qb with weapons makes an average to below average oline palatable.

Fields needs at least 2 WR with speed (kirk in fa and high draft pick) and another tight end who can run/catch. As for the line I'd keep Daniels and either move him to c and sign a vet fa guard or keep him at guard and sign a vet c.....then you better be right with Borom/Jenkins at T

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Whitehair - His cap number is $12.3M to keep and will cost $12.5M to cut, so he'll cost an extra ~$200K to cut AND you'll have to sign someone to play in his place. IMHO he's going no where especially since he has C/G versatility, there really isn't much depth along the OL and the new GM and coach will be in evaluation mode.
Designating Whitehair as a post June 1st cut saves 4 mil.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not enough cash to justify cutting the most consistent player on that line IMO.

Whitehair was not the most consistent player on that line. Not by a long shot. Peters, Borom, and Ifedi were all more consistent, and even Jenkins minus the holding penalties was more reliable.

The 3 worst linemen who played last season were our entire starting interior line....

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Whitehair was not the most consistent player on that line. Not by a long shot. Peters, Borom, and Ifedi were all more consistent, and even Jenkins minus the holding penalties was more reliable.

The 3 worst linemen who played last season were our entire starting interior line....
Jenkins played 1.5 games and was more reliable. Thanks for the insight, butterbean

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peters, Borom, and Ifedi were all more consistent, and even Jenkins minus the holding penalties was more reliable.

I see a lot of injured players there. Availability is paramount to achieving "consistent" status. Did Ifedi even play more than three games? I feel like I blinked and missed him entirely in 2021.

The rookies played like rookies and the 40 year old played better than most 40 year olds, but still fell off pretty far by November.

I am not saying Whitehair is even that good, but he's stayed relatively healthy, plays relatively well and can move inside in an emergency. Where else can you say that on this interior OL?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I see a lot of injured players there. Availability is paramount to achieving "consistent" status. Did Ifedi even play more than three games? I feel like I blinked and missed him entirely in 2021.

The rookies played like rookies and the 40 year old played better than most 40 year olds, but still fell off pretty far by November.

I am not saying Whitehair is even that good, but he's stayed relatively healthy, plays relatively well and can move inside in an emergency. Where else can you say that on this interior OL?

I get what you are saying, but that's like saying Kindle Vildor is a good corner because he can stay healthy and they can put him at nickel. Doesn't really matter where they put him, does it? He's going to be bad wherever he is.

Whitehair I had high hopes for, but even with him being healthy, more often than not I was watching him getting trucked by the opposing defender.

I believe the Bears need to replace the entire interior. Even if you feel like Whitehair was done a disservice in Nagy's offense (which I can understand), I think at a bare minimum you get someone else to push him for the starting job. No one on that interior should be getting a free ride to start. I hope they bring in starting-quality interior linemen, be it FA or the draft...

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The line plays as a unit. So for me, it’s hard to get a complete evaluation on Whitehair and Daniel’s when they had to try to cover for Mustifer, plus always adjusting to mediocre/young OT play.

Even if our OGs could use an upgrade, I think they stand to be night and day better with a better C, and with Borom and Jenkins back healthy and with a bit of experience.
I tend to agree with your comments and don't know enough to argue otherwise.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Look...offensive lines are great to have....but look around at the teams always left in the playoffs at this stage and beyond

1) elite qb play
2) weapons galore

This team better hope/develop fields and get him WEAPONS

Burrows oline sucks....how was his season and weapons? Elite

Mahomes is on his 3rd different line combo in 3 seasons....how were his last 3 years and weapons?

Point is.....and elite qb with weapons makes an average to below average oline palatable.

Fields needs at least 2 WR with speed (kirk in fa and high draft pick) and another tight end who can run/catch. As for the line I'd keep Daniels and either move him to c and sign a vet fa guard or keep him at guard and sign a vet c.....then you better be right with Borom/Jenkins at T
Good points on the playoff teams left, QB & "O" weapons. Makes some sense and I've always been a build the lines first guy.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Good points on the playoff teams left, QB & "O" weapons. Makes some sense and I've always been a build the lines first guy.
A great OL is good, but there’s no doubt a great QB can make an ok OL look a lot better than their talent suggests…

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get what you are saying, but that's like saying Kindle Vildor is a good corner because he can stay healthy and they can put him at nickel

Nah.

Whitehair is a better NFL lineman than Vildor is a NFL defensive back. Whitehair is not All Pro material, but he is serviceable. Vildor is a sixth round pick that won a job on a team with no depth at the position and still got benched.

Whitehair I had high hopes for, but even with him being healthy, more often than not I was watching him getting trucked by the opposing defender.

I mean the OL was unspectacular as a whole, but I felt Whitehair held his own better than Daniels and Mustipher. That line has serious issues, but Whitehair ain't one.

Well other than being overpaid this season because Ryan Pace is a ****ing idiot.

I believe the Bears need to replace the entire interior.

I'm on board, but let's start with center and right guard. Those positions have been down right terrible.

Then you can cut Whitehair in 2023 if you think you can do better.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
just curious, what do you think we could get for Quinn?
Not sure but a 3 and an future 3 is not enough. An injured and less productive Von Miller got a 2 and a 3 in the same draft. 18.5 sacks and a 17 TFLs should at least be worth a couple of 2s.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Designating Whitehair as a post June 1st cut saves 4 mil.
It's actually a 'deferral', not a 'saving'. It takes $4M for the 2022 cap hit and pushes it into 2023, so the dead cap space will be the exact same number, but it will be spread over 2 years instead of one.

I'd ask, specific to the 2022 season will that $4M be a material difference? Which player or extension will that help lock in that gives the team enough wins for a SB push?

Anyway, the 2024 cap will be $4M less. Granted with the salary cap naturally being larger in 2024 that $4M will have less of an impact, but it's not like some crazy difference.