What is your hobby?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
wakeboarding, video editing, home improvement has moved from hobby to full time job it seems- have a ton of stuff to do right now but would rather work on other things.

What I want to do the most on my down time lately is tinker with my cars, so I suppose that is my main focus at the moment.

I also have a desired hobby- welding. I am an ultra novice with metal work and that is a skill I have always wanted to have. once the rush of shit I HAVE to do is done, I might take up a class or something.

Not to hijack/divert on welding.

I have an offset smoker with a firebox, and the window between the firebox and the cooking chamber was always odd.... getting a consistent temp in the cooking chamber was impossible.... 190 on the far side, 250+ on the near side.

So my solution has been to wedge a baking sheet over that window between the 2 chambers, deflecting the heat down and towards the middle, so now I get even temps inside the cooking chamber.

Problem is the sheet just kinda sits with the lip of the baking sheet hooked over a couple of screws that stick out just above that exchange window between the chambers, and it slips out of position during the cook at times.

I kinda want to see if I can get someone to either weld that sheet into place or maybe weld in a new piece that will work even better.

Wondering how hard it would be to find someone to do that cheap.... seems like anyone with some welding experience could probably do it.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I have an offset smoker with a firebox, and the window between the firebox and the cooking chamber was always odd.... getting a consistent temp in the cooking chamber was impossible.... 190 on the far side, 250+ on the near side.

So my solution has been to wedge a baking sheet over that window between the 2 chambers, deflecting the heat down and towards the middle, so now I get even temps inside the cooking chamber.

Problem is the sheet just kinda sits with the lip of the baking sheet hooked over a couple of screws that stick out just above that exchange window between the chambers, and it slips out of position during the cook at times.

I kinda want to see if I can get someone to either weld that sheet into place or maybe weld in a new piece that will work even better.

Wondering how hard it would be to find someone to do that cheap.... seems like anyone with some welding experience could probably do it.

If it isnt a huge smoker, and you have the means to move it, maybe hit up a metal fab place in your area?

I had a bracket i wanted cut and angled and took it to a shop- just walked in the door and asked what they could do- 5 bucks and 10 minutes later I was set.

CurryKia

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Houston Dynamo
  1. Brooklyn Nets
  1. Atlanta Falcons
  1. Arizona Coyotes
  1. Alabama A&M Bulldogs
Someone who reads 10 pages a day. Fuck more do you want?
Thanks, I just don`t know how to answer in other way ?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Welcome - bettingnirvana.com

Last edited:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I enjoy long talks by the fire and walks on the beach....

But really, fire's too damn hot and I don't have a fucking beach anywhere near here. Fuck all that!

Picking up 10s in my 911 and banging them on my hobby llama farm.
Getting high as fuck, drinking beer, and driving my car like I'm hot shit. But not at the same time. I do the car thing 1st.
Making up mini stories about the anthropomorphic dinosaurs that live in my brain.
Wearing hockey jerseys.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Strap it to the roof of your Porsche, grab me a Beggar's family; sausage onion, from your work and drive it over.

Deck welding?

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't have as much time as I used to for hobbies, unfortunately. Wish I did...at varying times over the years: beer cans/breweriana, old cars, coins, stamps, scale models, model railroading, sports cards, playing hockey.

Still have some coins and stamps. Keep the finest thread attached to breweriana. In retirement, I'd like to get an old car to work on.

I've never thought much about retirement in terms of what I would actually do with it. Of course, one plans for it financially, but I've always only thought about it in that abstract; how to fund it. It was always so far away it seemed to only make sense to focus the thinking and effort solely on that aspect. As it is now not so distant, and guys I know are retiring, and seeing them, I'm starting to consider the, "What are you going to do when you retire?" I gotta admit, the question freaked me out a little. I could easily sleep in every day, and crack open a beer at 11:00 AM, but that doesn't seem like a plan for longevity. I'm going to have to make sure I keep myself occupied in a productive way. Hence, the old car project. Also considering seeing if the local humane society would take me as a volunteer a few days a week. I'm sure help with cleaning poopy cages and walking dogs would be appreciated there.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Don't have as much time as I used to for hobbies, unfortunately. Wish I did...at varying times over the years: beer cans/breweriana, old cars, coins, stamps, scale models, model railroading, sports cards, playing hockey.

Still have some coins and stamps. Keep the finest thread attached to breweriana. In retirement, I'd like to get an old car to work on.

I've never thought much about retirement in terms of what I would actually do with it. Of course, one plans for it financially, but I've always only thought about it in that abstract; how to fund it. It was always so far away it seemed to only make sense to focus the thinking and effort solely on that aspect. As it is now not so distant, and guys I know are retiring, and seeing them, I'm starting to consider the, "What are you going to do when you retire?" I gotta admit, the question freaked me out a little. I could easily sleep in every day, and crack open a beer at 11:00 AM, but that doesn't seem like a plan for longevity. I'm going to have to make sure I keep myself occupied in a productive way. Hence, the old car project. Also considering seeing if the local humane society would take me as a volunteer a few days a week. I'm sure help with cleaning poopy cages and walking dogs would be appreciated there.

I inherited a small (very small) stamp collection that I have no idea what to do with. Where does a person start if they want to sell/donate/give that away? I am not going to become a stamp collector at this point I am pretty sure but I also do not want to just give them to goodwill.

Also, I have zero interest in stamps, what am I missing?

As far as far as volunteering is concerned, there are more options than you can think of and they all need help, good on you!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Photography

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
wakeboarding, video editing, home improvement has moved from hobby to full time job it seems- have a ton of stuff to do right now but would rather work on other things.

What I want to do the most on my down time lately is tinker with my cars, so I suppose that is my main focus at the moment.

I also have a desired hobby- welding. I am an ultra novice with metal work and that is a skill I have always wanted to have. once the rush of shit I HAVE to do is done, I might take up a class or something.

My dad was a master welder and taught me how to weld as a teenager. It was interesting. He was a foreman in a local steel mill in Chicago. I remember back then he had an old Dodge that he used to get to work and the panels would rust out and he'd weld steel on the sides and lower doors. The car ended up looking like an old tank. But that old car would always START and get him to work:)

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I inherited a small (very small) stamp collection that I have no idea what to do with. Where does a person start if they want to sell/donate/give that away? I am not going to become a stamp collector at this point I am pretty sure but I also do not want to just give them to goodwill.

As far as far as volunteering is concerned, there are more options than you can think of and they all need help, good on you!

If were you, I would just lick them and send them on their way across the country/world. It's literally postage bro. Pay your bills.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I started a hobby about a year ago. I hurt my knee while hiking with my wife in Sedona, Arizona and found a stick to help me finish the walk. I took the stick home with me and worked on it and made it look nice. Then I saw a story on a news show about a guy who started making canes and walking sticks for disabled veterans and actually started a fairly big charity in conjunction with the VA. So I started to do this myself and have now made about 50 custom sticks and canes which I've delivered to the Loma Linda VA Hospital out here and am in the process of making more of them.

I love the work. Each stick is different. I listen to my tunes and just enjoy the day doing this very much. And it is for a good cause. Any of you guys who enjoy woodworking might consider doing something like this.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stamp collecting is a thing?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stamp collecting is a thing?

oh man, you are gonna get beat down by hard core philatelists for that remark.

... honestly I dont think you will. I just wanted to type that word. it was one of the random bits of trivia embedded in my mind, the proper name of stamp collectors.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I am reading approximately 17-20 minutes a day. Usually, this is 10 pages, and there are no progress on that side since 2017, then I was reading also 10 pages~ a day xd
Happy case that The Irishman is written exactly by chapters, average page quantity of which are exactly 10~ :)
Are you that guy in the ad up top? If so, I had to mute your bitch ass every time I switched my NFL stream back over here. So thanks asshole.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I have no idea where you would go to donate a small collection...some online charities accept stamp and coin collections, but only with the idea that they are valuable and can be sold for money to benefit the charity.

You could find a coin and stamp store to at least let someone tell you if they have any value.

Gallachers

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Baltimore Orioles
  1. Colorado Rapids
  1. Houston Rockets
Gardening is my hobby. I think many people started doing this due to quarantine! Me have beautiful yard, great place to rest with guests. By the way I have an idea to build some garden arbor, I think it will look great! I saw several photos on bestyardproducts.com/best-garden-arbor/ and decided to try! What do you think?

Last edited: