What is your OL #called it for next season?

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
I think the O-line is poor but they will look better than they actually are bc they will get a lot of TE help this year, plus Fields’s mobility.

Also I think Lucas Patrick will be disappointing. Not horrible per se, but disappointing relative to expectations.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will be an issue. Fields will struggle in an offense that plays into his weaknesses (quick game) by necessity. WRs aren't good enough to get open quickly and aren't big/strong to escape jams. The contracted offense limits YAC potential of the fast guys.

Teams blitz the hell out of the B and C gap to blow up the outside zone game in the backfield. The limited O line experience on the outside negatively impacts cohesion and blitz pickup.

Fields has a number of big runs due to the defense getting upfield too quickly, however because he doesn't have the option of long developing plays, he starts to drop his eyes and look to run too quickly. This causes him to get hit and injured. He's tough, so he plays with it, but it limits his effectiveness.

In spite of that, Fields flashes still because he is the man, but everyone starts to turn on him anyways. Bears finish #26 in total offense. #29 in passing.

The Bears load up on O line and weapons next year, and hopefully Fields hasn't been David Carr'd by that point.

Feel free to save this because if I'm eating crow here, I would be happy as hell.
Our Nagy scars run deep.

It's OK, bro. Get some sunshine.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think the O-line is poor but they will look better than they actually are bc they will get a lot of TE help this year, plus Fields’s mobility.

Also I think Lucas Patrick will be disappointing. Not horrible per se, but disappointing relative to expectations.
If you’re going to depend on the te to help block then that’s one less receiver out there. That will make things easier for opposing defenses. Consequences of a shitty oline….

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

I don’t think Patrick will be great but he will be an improvement over Mustipher.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Although unfortunately i thought I heard somewhere mustipher was still starting at RG currently at OTAs?
I haven’t read anything on that with Mustipher but it’s possible. I can’t imagine he will hold onto that position for a while if he’s currently with the 1’s.

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
I haven’t read anything on that with Mustipher but it’s possible. I can’t imagine he will hold onto that position for a while if he’s currently with the 1’s.

I found the article. Hope we get an upgrade at that spot as otherwise signing Patrick may just be a lateral move.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-rookie-offensive-lineman-transitioning-tackle-guard#:~:text=Zach%20Thomas%20focused%20on%20growth%2C%20not%20winning%20RG%20job&text=“I%20personally%20think%20it's%20been,ll%20continue%20to%20do%20so.”

“Ryan Poles let James Daniels walk in free agency, then struck out on signing replacement Ryan Bates. Over the first voluntary minicamp, former starting center Sam Mustipher got the first crack at the position. But he split reps with Dakota Dozier who started 16 games at left guard for the Vikings in 2020”

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I am #calling Larry Borom either gets injured or benched by mid season and Braxton Jones becomes the starting LT and plays to a level that makes the position a no longer an issue of great concern relegating Borom to swing tackle.

fortune-teller-nostradamus.gif

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I am #calling Larry Borom either gets injured or benched by mid season and Braxton Jones becomes the starting LT and plays to a level that makes the position a no longer an issue of great concern relegating Borom to swing tackle.
Winner winner chicken dinner

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It will be an issue. Fields will struggle in an offense that plays into his weaknesses (quick game) by necessity. WRs aren't good enough to get open quickly and aren't big/strong to escape jams. The contracted offense limits YAC potential of the fast guys.

Teams blitz the hell out of the B and C gap to blow up the outside zone game in the backfield. The limited O line experience on the outside negatively impacts cohesion and blitz pickup.

Fields has a number of big runs due to the defense getting upfield too quickly, however because he doesn't have the option of long developing plays, he starts to drop his eyes and look to run too quickly. This causes him to get hit and injured. He's tough, so he plays with it, but it limits his effectiveness.

In spite of that, Fields flashes still because he is the man, but everyone starts to turn on him anyways. Bears finish #26 in total offense. #29 in passing.

The Bears load up on O line and weapons next year, and hopefully Fields hasn't been David Carr'd by that point.

Feel free to save this because if I'm eating crow here, I would be happy as hell.
This is a pretty incredible #calledit so far. Let's hope the bolded becomes true as well.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Based on @rawdawg's post yesterday, I really like Johnson, Jones, and Harrison as a first round pick - especially if there is a trade down. I probably favor Harrison just based on the experience at the position. Whether one of those three would sit at LT, or if they really like Braxton Jones, place them at RT. I'm a Larry Borom fan, and while I'm not sure how many years he has left on his deal, you have to start thinking about life after Whitehair. So I do think moving Borom to LG could work. As for C, my thoughts on Mustipher are even less positive than chopsticks through my own eyes. I'm guessing Lucas Patrick is probably not the long term solution either. So, assuming he sees this tagged, I'm hoping rawdawg can give thoughts on some of the centers in the draft. So, I would go:

Jones/Rookie - Borom/Whitehair - Rookie/Patrick/Whitehair - Jenkins - Rookie/Jones

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I’m calling our OL doesn’t end up a weakness like everyone thinks. The new scheme, focus on the run game, and quick passes to keep defenses honest (basically, a NFL offense) show they weren’t even close to as bad as everyone thought. We go into next offseason focusing on bringing in more skill positions on offense because the OL is pretty much set.

This aged so well, visionless

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who was the best then?
Braxton " I get bulldogged" Jones
or
Tevin "part time" Jenkins?

But yeah, I did imagine Poles would have done a little more for the O-line then he did heading into pre-season.