What pick do you think the Cubs wind up with in the next June Draft?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
With a dozen or so games to go for each team, the Cubs currently sit in the #8 slot. With the records of the teams worse than the Cubs, they could possibly get to #6 unless the Nats go on an insane run. I think the Cubs win 3-5 more games this season. They probably end the season with the #7 pick. Thoughts?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I previously mentioned a month and a half ago, my target is the #7 pick. The reason being a bit frivolous, I must admit, as we don’t have enough info on the 2022 prospects yet.

Over the past 3 seasons, FanGraphs MLB draft projections has had exactly 7 prospects graded at 50 FV or above.

Also, MLB pipeline over the same span puts its top 12 draft prospects immediately into its top 100 rankings. And they put their top 6 draft prospects immediately into their top 50 ranking.

Now you still have a shot at one of the FanGraphs FV prospects at #8, as one or two more usually get by. As well, you will likely see one of The MLB Pipeline top 6 fall a spot.

So that’s where I come up with the sweet spot being #7. In this spot, you get a shot at one of the FanGraphs 50FV prospects as well as a shot at an MLB Pipeline top 50 prospect. At #8 you still get a crack at a FanGraphs 50FV prospect but likely miss out on the MLB Pipeline top 50 prospect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
8. This team scores but it depends if the pitching doesn't hold down the other team.

Pre deadline it was low run production. Iffy rotation and strong pen.

Now it is good run production and iffy pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Come to think of it. If they status quo the starting 8. Well Duffy ->Mags. Then wash out the suspect and invest into the staff this team might be ok-ish. It is a gamble on long term gambling on temp level talent but the pending talent should naturally replace that.

Well at min Ortega, Wisdom and Schwindel have earned the right to make 600-700K once in their lives. It would be up to them to grow that into more.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
HEADLINE!!!!

Rodon is hurt......AGAIN. Yes, fans the future ace of your Chicago Cubs is once again down for the count. He has failed to work beyond the fifth or beyond 90 pitches in seven straight starts. Sore shoulder and sore throwing arm.

Now that's the kind of reliability you can put your money into......

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
HEADLINE!!!!

Rodon is hurt......AGAIN. Yes, fans the future ace of your Chicago Cubs is once again down for the count. He has failed to work beyond the fifth or beyond 90 pitches in seven straight starts. Sore shoulder and sore throwing arm.

PAY THE MAN!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
HEADLINE!!!!

CHICAGO -- The White Sox are targeting a Sept. 29 start at home against the Reds for Carlos Rodón after the southpaw departed Monday’s 4-3 loss following three innings, 69 pitches and not feeling right, per manager Tony La Russa’s postgame comments.
“His comments after the game [were] he was tired, but he also said he was sore and he was sore this morning,” said La Russa prior to Tuesday afternoon’s contest. “Hopefully it's just normal soreness, and we'll do a bunch of stuff to get him ready and keep our fingers crossed that [next Wednesday] he's good to go.”
Rodón has been one of the team’s most valuable pitchers this season, boasting a 12-5 record, 2.47 ERA and 181 strikeouts against 34 walks over 127 2/3 innings. But the left-hander has been battling through shoulder fatigue and soreness in his throwing arm; he has failed to work beyond the fifth or beyond 90 pitches in seven straight starts.

Having Rodón as part of the White Sox rotation quartet with Lance Lynn, Lucas Giolito and Dylan Cease will be important to their postseason success. But La Russa still needs to see more on the field to determine where the southpaw stands.
“That's why he needs to go on the mound, just to evaluate that,” La Russa said. “We're assuming he can make one of the [playoff] spots, but yesterday was not a good day, so he's got another shot next [Wednesday]. We'll see if there's a better result so we can be more optimistic.
“We're definitely concerned. We've got a pattern we've established all year long to give him extra rest and it's really worked. He's taken the extra time to stay sharp and stay strong. That's why yesterday was a disappointment.”
After throwing 11 pitches in the first, Rodón threw 30 pitches in the second and then 28 in the third against the Tigers. His four-season fastball velocity was down from this year’s average, per Statcast.
“When you lack overall command, it explains part of why it was such an effort,” La Russa said. “Hesitation's a good word, we're not assuming anything. Just try to do as much as you can and be optimistic it will work out. If not, we'll make an adjustment.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It doesn't sound like structure damage. It is fatigue. This is the biggest workload that his arm has taken on and it is taking its toil.

Kyle Hendricks is doing the same thing right now. Has not gotten past the 5th inning in a month. No one is crying injury with him now are they? Everyone (except some clowns in here) knew that players were going to have a challenge this year after last year's 102 game loss.

Rodon is finally not injured and his hitting a wall right now. Only a loser that has never trained his body would not get this.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It doesn't sound like structure damage. It is fatigue. This is the biggest workload that his arm has taken on and it is taking its toil.

Kyle Hendricks is doing the same thing right now. Has not gotten past the 5th inning in a month. No one is crying injury with him now are they? Everyone (except some clowns in here) knew that players were going to have a challenge this year after last year's 102 game loss.

Rodon is finally not injured and his hitting a wall right now. Only a loser that has never trained his body would not get this.
Nothing that you just said changes the fact he shouldn't be given a long term contract.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nothing that you just said changes the fact he shouldn't be given a long term contract.
Exactly. Hitting a wall, my ass. The guy's been hurt every year he's been in the majors. Right now, the Sox really need him as their starting pitching has been questionable as of late and where is he? Missing starts, short outings and that's on a playoff team. How is he gonna react to his "sore arm" when his team is going nowhere and he's got a multi million dollar contract in his pocket?

Let him be someone's else's "sore arm".

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Dude we are talking about endurance not a popped rotator cuff or TJ.

If you are going to be a chicken shit then sign no one ever because a pitcher can go under the knife after any pitch.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways Ross was pretty much saying Kyle is inked in. Mills pencilled in. Alzolay, Steel and Thompson he only wants 1 of the 3 back

So he wants 2 pitchers. He is not Jed but he most likely has a say so on 2022.

I can see this happening. Adbert was far batter vs RH hitters. I can see him pushed into set up.

Steel has been stable. Lefty gives him a leg up.

Thompson really has not proven to be a good option.

I can Jed going after a TOR and a MOR. Why not.

Rodon if sound is a option. I never said him or bust. The Cubs have youth upwelling in pitching so if he goes down for a month or a year all it does is open a door to the next guy.

To me I would rather spend on A oft injured ace vs another Q.

Shit Boston is not crying like babies. Injury happens Having Sale even for a month is better than having Q for 4 years.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Dude we are talking about endurance not a popped rotator cuff or TJ.

If you are going to be a chicken shit then sign no one ever because a pitcher can go under the knife after any pitch.
So I don't care what his excuse for only pitching 120 innings is this season. He's never been an ace and he isn't an ace now because he pitched good for 120 innings. He's also never stayed healthy. I'm fine with signing him for like 2-3 years at 15-18 million but I'm not paying him like an ace, because he isn't one.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So I don't care what his excuse for only pitching 120 innings is this season. He's never been an ace and he isn't an ace now because he pitched good for 120 innings. He's also never stayed healthy. I'm fine with signing him for like 2-3 years at 15-18 million but I'm not paying him like an ace, because he isn't one.

How many lefties pound 99 MPH?

How many are SP?

He has the qualifications for it. Shit some here want Thor but Thor can throw breaking pitches yet and is not near ready. His injury track record is just as bad. But of course that don't matter.

The difference? Rodon pitched this year. Thor did not. Simple as that.

15-18 might be his going rate. I could have seen Boras pushing higher but right now it is more about seeing Rodon come out of this year intact vs pushing a bidding price. He comes out clean 20-23M should be his market. Basically Yu's deal and I can see Jed doing that.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Every pitcher misses time to soreness or the disabled list these days. Almost no one pitches 180 plus innings anymore. Rodon is just fine to give 5/100 or 6/120, that is a great deal for someone like him. We don't have a single pitcher over 1.1 WAR and Rodon is at 4.8, yet people don't want him, lol.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Every pitcher misses time to soreness or the disabled list these days. Almost no one pitches 180 plus innings anymore. Rodon is just fine to give 5/100 or 6/120, that is a great deal for someone like him. We don't have a single pitcher over 1.1 WAR and Rodon is at 4.8, yet people don't want him, lol.
I'll pass all day on him at that length of a contract for a guy who has never shown he can stay healthy. If I'm signing him or Thor or any injury prone pitcher, it's 2-3 years. Otherwise there is plenty of decent vets you can probably get on 1-3 year deals that give you consistency

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I don't think people realize how bad our starting rotation is. We need to fill 2-3 spots next year. Ideally we need to push our top starters back to 4/5th spots in the rotation.

With Rodon at 20 million per, when we have almost zero salary commits is fine. HE can be an injury bust and it won't hurt us.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL@99MPH The guy might not have hit 99 in his life. He throws 94-95 which is fine but not anything to write home about. And anyone going bonkers over WAR on a pitcher that can neither stay healthy or throw enough strikes to stay in a game more than 5 innings is nuts. He barely throws more strikes than balls....I called it on the Quintana trade, I'll call it again right now....anyone who signs Rodon for more than a year will regret it. This just isn't the right time to roll the dice on a player with a list of injuries a mile long.....if they were one good pitcher away from contending, maybe I'd think differently. The Cubs are not one player away, they probably are more than a year or two away.

Oh...and pissing away $20 mill will hurt. I sure think that money could go elsewhere to improving this team.

Pitch Info Pitch Velocity
PostseasonProjectionsMinor LeaguesRegular MLB Seasons
SeasonTeamLevelvFAvFCvFSvSIvCHvSLvCUvCSvKNvSB
2015CHWMLB93.992.493.585.087.687.8
2016CHWMLB94.493.784.187.380.5
2017CHWMLB93.693.383.485.4
2018CHWMLB92.994.193.485.185.384.5
2019CHWMLB91.690.984.383.9
2020CHWMLB93.092.584.483.5
2021CHWMLB95.685.485.976.6
Total- - -MLB94.093.593.584.786.377.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
LOL@99MPH The guy might not have hit 99 in his life. He throws 94-95 which is fine but not anything to write home about. And anyone going bonkers over WAR on a pitcher that can neither stay healthy or throw enough strikes to stay in a game more than 5 innings is nuts. He barely throws more strikes than balls....I called it on the Quintana trade, I'll call it again right now....anyone who signs Rodon for more than a year will regret it. This just isn't the right time to roll the dice on a player with a list of injuries a mile long.....if they were one good pitcher away from contending, maybe I'd think differently. The Cubs are not one player away, they probably are more than a year or two away.

Oh...and pissing away $20 mill will hurt. I sure think that money could go elsewhere to improving this team.

Pitch Info Pitch Velocity
PostseasonProjectionsMinor LeaguesRegular MLB Seasons
SeasonTeamLevelvFAvFCvFSvSIvCHvSLvCUvCSvKNvSB
2015CHWMLB93.992.493.585.087.687.8
2016CHWMLB94.493.784.187.380.5
2017CHWMLB93.693.383.485.4
2018CHWMLB92.994.193.485.185.384.5
2019CHWMLB91.690.984.383.9
2020CHWMLB93.092.584.483.5
2021CHWMLB95.685.485.976.6
Total- - -MLB94.093.593.584.786.377.
Yeah I wasn't quite sure where that 99 mph thing came from