What pick do you think the Cubs wind up with in the next June Draft?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Long story short.

Off-season went hunting. Didn't train.

Last off-season he was screwed. So he busted his ass.

New pitching coach noticed that his injury track record was upper body. So he helped Carlos use his lower half more.

Fastball velocity went up as the season went along topping at 99.

So eat shit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anywho. I said on the board. Going from a DFA to winning a rotation spot to a TOR in one year is impressive.

I would rather look at what he has done vs what has gone wrong as of late.

Fatigue is bound to happen. But as long as he doesn't go back to hunting vs training then it is a sound investment.

Datvish's deal would be his peak. More likely he falls closer to 14-16 range which is a pay off for a guy that had struggled.

But ya he works 96 but can dig deep and add 2-3 MPH if needed. That is a nice weapon.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On Thor.

Last I heard fastball change up. No offspeed. Reinjury risk.

I'm getting flashbacks of Kerry Wood with him.

I would sign him as a closer. Starter way too risky.

That is why I am predicting resign for 1 year. That team is his home and they are far more likely going to accept ups and downs than a new fan base.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
You said he's pounding 99 as if that's a consistent thing. This article says his top velocity was 98 and he averages 95.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You said he's pounding 99 as if that's a consistent thing. This article says his top velocity was 98 and he averages 95.

His last pitch that game was 98.5+. Which is 99 not 98 unless you want to squabble over .4 MPH

Pounding was a exaggerated remark. Got your attention right. Then my job is done.

You can put it on the board! Yes

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs have secured the #7 pick, I believe a tie with Minnesota still nets the Cubs the higher pick based on 2020 record.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Every pitcher misses time to soreness or the disabled list these days. Almost no one pitches 180 plus innings anymore. Rodon is just fine to give 5/100 or 6/120, that is a great deal for someone like him. We don't have a single pitcher over 1.1 WAR and Rodon is at 4.8, yet people don't want him, lol.

hmmm according to you he just needs to of thrown MORE innings…that’s the problem right?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah number 7 is clinched. I'd expect someone in college ready to go to the majors in less than 2 years. There is a very strong high school class, so it means some top tier college guys could drop to us.

We are stacked with bats right now, but lack in catcher and pitching.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Will Kumar fall out of the first round next year because of his situation this year? I'd love to grab him at some point.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Will Kumar fall out of the first round next year because of his situation this year? I'd love to grab him at some point.
Something stinks about his situation. Mets say they found 'significant damage' in his shoulder and elbow before Kumar released MRI's from 2018 and this past summer with 'no structural damage' (paraphrased from a CBSSports article on August 2nd by RJ Anderson).

His options are some independent league or international. Don't think Japan is going to want him on a 1 year deal.

Not saying it can't happen. Wasn't Brady Aiken the #1 pick of 2014, didn't sign, then was #17 or #18 overall in 2015? His stock may drop, and not playing for Vandy, especially when you're marketing yourself as a starting pitcher could be a bigger detriment to his stock. Think scouting depts. would like it more if they saw him carving up teams at Vandy as opposed to a league we've probably never heard of with some semi-competent/minor league level guys.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Every pitcher misses time to soreness or the disabled list these days. Almost no one pitches 180 plus innings anymore. Rodon is just fine to give 5/100 or 6/120, that is a great deal for someone like him. We don't have a single pitcher over 1.1 WAR and Rodon is at 4.8, yet people don't want him, lol.

This is selective, deceiving, and intentional. LOL.

Through 6 years prior to this really good, contract year for Rodon--his collective WAR was 6.4 (I used his Baseball Reference). Yet somehow after1 year where he was again injured, he's worth 5+ years and giving up valueable draft picks? Some fans will never change.

How many guys can we name who had that one really good year after being mediocre at best for several before getting a big payday then taking a shit? Bet we can find a whole lot more names than guys who 'figured it out' before redefining/reinventing the remainder of their professional careers.

We literally just saw that a couple of years ago with Edwin Jackson, and several years prior to that with Carlos Silva (after Seattle paid him but cubs traded for him to get rid of Milton Bradley) where middling/inconsistent years get capped by a solid year then a payday before being bad/hurt.

But sure. Throw more money away on a guy you can't depend on because 1/7 years he was solid and not target practice when 1-2 guys also available have track records of consistency (Stroman and Bauer--but his legal situation isn't done yet). If you're going to spend big $$$ on starter for 5+ years, it baffles me and boggles my mind how these 2 wouldn't come 1st.

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This is selective, deceiving, and intentional. LOL.

Through 6 years prior to this really good, contract year for Rodon--his collective WAR was 6.4 (I used his Baseball Reference). Yet somehow after1 year where he was again injured, he's worth 5+ years and giving up valueable draft picks? Some fans will never change.

How many guys can we name who had that one really good year after being mediocre at best for several before getting a big payday then taking a shit? Bet we can find a whole lot more names than guys who 'figured it out' before redefining/reinventing the remainder of their professional careers.

We literally just saw that a couple of years ago with Edwin Jackson, and several years prior to that with Carlos Silva (after Seattle paid him but cubs traded for him to get rid of Milton Bradley) where middling/inconsistent years get capped by a solid year then a payday before being bad/hurt.

But sure. Throw more money away on a guy you can't depend on because 1/7 years he was solid and not target practice when 1-2 guys also available have track records of consistency (Stroman and Bauer--but his legal situation isn't done yet). If you're going to spend big $$$ on starter for 5+ years, it baffles me and boggles my mind how these 2 wouldn't come 1st.
It isn't really selective. HIs injuries this year were those baseball invented injuries to help prevent dead arm.
And I do doubt that the White Sox offer him a QO when they have Kopeck ready to take over for him. If he does get offered a QO then I would avoid him. Plus I have faith in Rodon mostly because he'd be on the Cubs and they have probably a top 3 pitching infrastructure in the majors. They make players better and they tend to also avoid injuries.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
It isn't really selective.
Except it is.

You're looking at 1 year, this year--in a 7-year career as the reason, he should get a big-money deal while totally disregarding that his previous 6 years have not been good and barely/just above replacement level as you were the one who brought up WAR as a reason to sign him.

Is he Cliff Lee where he reinvented himself so his 29 and beyond season will be worth investing in or is this that one good year even the most pedestrian of pitchers can have, especially in a contract year? Or is he another Ejax/Carlos Silva? He didn't add 2-3 change-ups that wreck batters so he's not the former. He's still heavy on his slider/fastball combo that ate up his labrum/eblow at NC State till now.

The cubs/pitchlab would fix/augment him, but he still can't stay healthy and has 6 years worth of on/off again being target practice--but ignore 6 years for the 1 contract year he was elite for 3-4 months before tailing off/missing time?

Paying this guy big bucks when established, not injury prone guys (Bauer/Stroman) are available is something a complete moron would want. But I can't rule that out from Jed. We'll see if Daddy Ricketts opens the checkbook.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Except it is.

You're looking at 1 year, this year--in a 7-year career as the reason, he should get a big-money deal while totally disregarding that his previous 6 years have not been good and barely/just above replacement level as you were the one who brought up WAR as a reason to sign him.

Is he Cliff Lee where he reinvented himself so his 29 and beyond season will be worth investing in or is this that one good year even the most pedestrian of pitchers can have, especially in a contract year? Or is he another Ejax/Carlos Silva? He didn't add 2-3 change-ups that wreck batters so he's not the former. He's still heavy on his slider/fastball combo that ate up his labrum/eblow at NC State till now.

The cubs/pitchlab would fix/augment him, but he still can't stay healthy and has 6 years worth of on/off again being target practice--but ignore 6 years for the 1 contract year he was elite for 3-4 months before tailing off/missing time?

Paying this guy big bucks when established, not injury prone guys (Bauer/Stroman) are available is something a complete moron would want. But I can't rule that out from Jed. We'll see if Daddy Ricketts opens the checkbook.
You are being selective. You are using his previous WAR and saying he was bad. When in reality he was just hurt and still pitched well. Because WAR is a cumulative stat it is deceiving to use that.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
You are being selective. You are using his previous WAR and saying he was bad. When in reality he was just hurt and still pitched well. Because WAR is a cumulative stat it is deceiving to use that.
You use 1 year of WAR to conclude signing Rodon is a good idea.

I use his 6 other years of WAR to conclude why it isn't. He still pitched well despite being hurt? His numbers, primarily WAR (you brought it up explicitly as a reason to sign him) do NOT reflect that. Especially 2020 where he was negative WAR/below replacement level.

How many guys work long term after 1/7 years being great while 6/7 are bad/middling/injured? I'll wait.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
How is using 6 years of data instead of 1 being selective?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
How is using 6 years of data instead of 1 being selective?
Which year do you think matters most? 2021 or 2015?
Which year do you think matters more? Years he pitched 120 plus innings or years he pitched less than 50 innings?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Which year do you think matters most? 2021 or 2015?
Which year do you think matters more? Years he pitched 120 plus innings or years he pitched less than 50 innings?
I'd say it's really important that from 2015-2020 he was pretty mediocre and injured a lot