What realistic move would you need the Bears to make to get you excited about this season?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I have been on the train of upgrading 2 OL spots (LT and RG) and getting one more pass rusher, at least a situational rusher, for the front 7.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I am not as sold on significantly upgrading the TE position as others.

The stats somewhat disagree with me, as Trey Burton was statistically the 6th most impactful TE in the league in 2018 when healthy.

I think an improved running game is much more important to us than a TE.

Last edited:

Spin

Liked Posts:
Actually, some of the coaching changes have me excited to see what is possible.

Lazor is a guy that likes to run the ball, so he may be more run game coordinator....but it would be nice to see some balance.

Deflip has had some success getting the most out of a QB.

Castillo - We don't have enough money or draft picks to completely overhaul the o-line so Leno and Massie both need to return to 2018 form, and they need to find the RG that can give us average play. Additionally, keep Whitehair at Center and hope to see Daniel take a step forward after taking one back in 2019.

A TE that can take over the role that Burton is supposed to be filling - because this offense is reliant on a catching TE.

Draft or FA Edge Rusher that will take advantage of the Mack Triple team.

I guess you could say I am easily excited.

I think Castillo was hired to be O-line and run coordinator, if I remember correctly. But I'm hoping you're right about Flip - absolute disaster as OC, but has had a lot of success getting the most out of his QBs.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
There isn't one for me cause i see 3 positions that need to be taken care of the most to have any chance at a playoff run next season at RG, TE and OLB.

Need a legit starting RG and i want him in free agency and not the draft so i already know he can play in the NFL.

Burton isn't going anywhere this year because we'd have to pay him almost all of his salary anyway so i don't care if we draft one or get one that we can depend on if Burton can't stay healthy again. However it's done we just need to make sure we have someone who can actually start at TE next year.

Have no idea what will happen with Floyd but if we keep him then get a legit 3rd guy in and if we cut Floyd then get a legit guy that can start opposite Mack.

How about Fowler?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Actually, some of the coaching changes have me excited to see what is possible.

Lazor is a guy that likes to run the ball, so he may be more run game coordinator....but it would be nice to see some balance.

Deflip has had some success getting the most out of a QB.

Castillo - We don't have enough money or draft picks to completely overhaul the o-line so Leno and Massie both need to return to 2018 form, and they need to find the RG that can give us average play. Additionally, keep Whitehair at Center and hope to see Daniel take a step forward after taking one back in 2019.

A TE that can take over the role that Burton is supposed to be filling - because this offense is reliant on a catching TE.

Draft or FA Edge Rusher that will take advantage of the Mack Triple team.

I guess you could say I am easily excited.

I'm actually very interested to see what he can do as well. He did great with Wentz in 17 and as OC for the Vikes Cousins had very good numbers. And as OC for Jax, even though Minshew's completion percentage and rating weren't great, he had 21 TD's and only 6 picks. Pretty damn good for a 6th round rookie who didn't play the whole season.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Gonna take quite a few solid signings/draft picks to get me truly excited, i think. IE i'll be excited that football is back and that anything is possible, but if Pace doesn't have a good offseason, we're not going anywhere... again.

I'm interested to see how the QB situation will play out. Do we go hard after one that is available via free agency, a trade, or the draft? Or do we sit on Trubisky for one more year and try to upgrade his supporting cast?

We need a couple of linemen if possible(Draft a T, sign a G? Cool.). We need a TE, because I have 0 faith in Burton/Shaheen(and if signing Demetrius Harris is all we do... ugh). We should cut ties with NardFlo, and upgrade our pass rush, for sure. And it'll be interesting to see what we do with the ILB and SS situations.

Big offseason imo. Let's hope Pace doesn't shit his pants!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Sign a legitimate starting QB better than Trubisky (there are several who are either available or likely to be available).

Draft a quarterback to develop and at least give some hope/a look forward to the future.

Get someone like a Hooper/Henry/Ebron-type at tight end.

There are others that are probably necessary, but any one of the above would make me perk up my ears and say, hey, maybe they're serious about righting this ship....

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sign a legitimate starting QB better than Trubisky (there are several who are either available or likely to be available).

Draft a quarterback to develop and at least give some hope/a look forward to the future.

Get someone like a Hooper/Henry/Ebron-type at tight end.

I'm all about this scenario for the QB/TE issues. And it probably is what is in our best interest for 2020 and going forward, as long as it's still feasible to upgrade, or at the very least, patch up our holes at pass rush/OL/ILB/SS.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Why? What if we can find ourselves in a similar situation that Seattle did when they had Flynn and drafted Wilson?? The only way to do that is to find a QB in the draft.

Make a list of the 2nd Rd or later QBs taken in the last 15 years that you would want them to draft.

It's a waste because you're using a valuable pick to try to find a needle in a haystack.

It's like if lottery tickets cost a months pay but still had the same chance of winning. Would you play? Can't win if you don't play! Can't win if you don't play!

Wait till 21 when they have a first.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Bears fans over the decades have had all kinds of rationalizations about how, right now, thiisss position is a more important need than quarterback. And for generations, the Bears have not had a legitimate franchise quarterback. It's time to change that. It's time to take swings. You'll miss sometimes, but that's O.K.---It's time to join the rest of the league.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Signing one stud OG and mid-tier OT in FA. Getting Ebron or an equivalent tight end. Drafting a speed WR with one of the 2nd round selections.

Those are the moves that will put the pieces in place to give Trubs and his vet competition a chance to succeed this year as well as preparing for the future if we end up drafting a QB high next year.
This. One of my concerns is that Mitch plays just well enough. I also hope Pace holds true to his initial statements when hired and drafts a QB every year until he hits and then drafts some more.

mbison

Liked Posts:
Make a list of the 2nd Rd or later QBs taken in the last 15 years that you would want them to draft.

It's a waste because you're using a valuable pick to try to find a needle in a haystack.

It's like if lottery tickets cost a months pay but still had the same chance of winning. Would you play? Can't win if you don't play! Can't win if you don't play!

The Bears at least have to TRY. The franchise every year always puts other positions of need in front of the most important position and that’s why we have NEVER had a true franchise QB and NEVER had sustained success. Oh course there is a high percentage they may bust but what if they don’t? There is no guarantee a 1st round QB won’t bust either so by your logic the Bears should never draft any QB

And there are plenty of QB not drafted in 1st round that have turned out to be franchise QBs. Franchise QB came come from anywhere at any round of the draft.
Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees are a few I can think of

Just in the playoff this year there were 7 starting QBs that we’re 2nd rounders and higher

Dak
Jimmy G
Kirk Cousin
Tom Brady
Russel Wilson
Drew Brees
Ryan T

Late 1st round
Lamar Jackson
Aaron Rodgers

See my point?

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I still take one one day 3. The odds have been better lately with changes in the college game though I do agree with your overall evaluation. If you take one in 5, you are not likely wasting the pick vs a starter at another position anyway. Set up your board for all positions and don't ignore the QB just because it's rare to succeed late in the draft.

Brees, Cousins, Prescott, Brissette, Jimmy G, Grier :unsure:, Minshew, Carr, Garoppolo, Fitz, Brady. That's over 1/3rd of starters not taken in one. Obviously the % of hit vs miss is way down vs 1st rounders but the idea that it's a near impossible is overstated. Obviously 6 of that 10 were taken in 2 or 3 and only one of the remaining has been an established perennial starter but it happens.

Modern era late round picks/UDFAs (played in last 20 years); Romo, Warner, Hasselback, Brunell, Bulger, Johnson.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Tom Brady putting on that number 12 navy Bears jersey at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 18 .

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I still take one one day 3. The odds have been better lately with changes in the college game though I do agree with your overall evaluation. If you take one in 5, you are not likely wasting the pick vs a starter at another position anyway. Set up your board for all positions and don't ignore the QB just because it's rare to succeed late in the draft.

Brees, Prescott, Brissette, Jimmy G, Grier :unsure:, Minshew, Carr, Garoppolo, Fitz, Brady. That's 31% of starters not taken in one. Obviously the % of hit vs miss is way down vs 1st rounders but the idea that it's a near impossible is overstated. Obviously 6 of that 10 were taken in 2 or 3 and only one of the remaining has been an established perennial starter but it happens.

Modern era late round picks/UDFAs (played in last 20 years); Romo, Warner, Hasselback, Brunell, Bulger, Johnson.

Are you looking for another meh league average starter? In the last 15 years who would you want to build around? Wilson of course, after that there's a few guys who are better than Trubisky but do you want to build around them?

I'm just not interested in finding another mediocre QB. Some are and that's fine, just a difference in philosophy. I don't care if you throw a day 3 pick at one but how much of a drop off is there too the underrated guys? I mean I'd still rather have Deon Bush than Dan Lefevre.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you looking for another meh league average starter? In the last 15 years who would you want to build around? Wilson of course, after that there's a few guys who are better than Trubisky but do you want to build around them?

I'm just not interested in finding another mediocre QB. Some are and that's fine, just a difference in philosophy.
I'm looking for viability and that list was far from all being meh. If a guy turns out just OK, he still has value as a backup or trade chip. You don't want mediocre LBs or WRs either. I guess we should just go home after day 2 of the draft.:rolleyes: Like I said, you set up your board and stick to it. If you have an appropriately rated QB near your pick and are in need...

What happened when Mitch went down the last couple years. QBs break all the time, especially those with bad lines that run a lot which Mitch will need to do. How many 1st round QBs turn out average or worse?

I am not saying that it's the good way to get something special nor promoting it as a solution to anything. It's not but you can't win if you don't play.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Austin Hooper would realistically make me the most excited. Outside of Him, I'll take Ebron on a fair deal. He's not a sexy signing, but an efficient use of resources..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
TE, WR , OL... and a net with a bucket behind it for Mitch to practice on.

I was a Mitch advocate on draft day but 2 things I've said about him from day one is that he throws a nose up flat ball that doesn't turn over easily and that he's not the sharpest pencil in the box. I didn't think either was a deal breaker but he hasn't got over them yet. His ball is turning over better as are his reads but both still have a ways to go after 3 years. His risk reward quotient and when he picks his spots on one on ones etc is also still low.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
How about Fowler?

Fowler would be on the list for sure but not at the top. The top would be M.Judon, S.Barrett and B.Dupree and then probably Fowler.