What realistic pick will shore up the LT spot?

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I believe it is:
Rashard Slater from Northwestern
or
Christian Darrisaw from Virginia Tech

With either of those two drafted, I think we are set at the left tackle spots.

What are your thoughts?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think none of us fucking know until they start playing so your guess is as good as anybody's. They could both bust.

greg23

Liked Posts:
So two of the top 3 tackles in the draft?

Darrisaw may be available but starting to think a LT at 20 won't be a good value pick
(Jenkins rt, vera tucker more a g...everyone else not really a 20th pick)

Can see cb r1 and, lt r2 where there projects to be 4-5 of the 2nd tier guys available (Cosmi, eicheberg, Radunz. Mayfield, etc)

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
It is becoming more and more likely of all nonreach Qbs being gone before our pick.. Just wanting to see who everyone else likes on this board.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would love Darrisaw at 20. WTF? If not, there is trade down to get Cosmi, Mayfield, or if the Bears want WR Bateman or Toney

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Slater from Northwestern and Mayfield from Michigan I feel most confident with (this under the assumption Sewell is long gone). Both proved in 2019 they can handle elite college pass rushers (Slater stuffed 2020 1st rounders AJ Epenesa and Chase Young for 0 sacks and 0 pressures while Mayfield stuffed Young but gave up 1 sack/pressure to Epenesa). From there, Liam Eichenburg and Alex Leatherwood have done well against solid college competition..

Teven Jenkins and Darrisaw look like 2 guys who have a lot of fun moving run mauling. I question some of their competition compared to the B1G/ND's/Bamas schedule the past 2 years--but that doesn't mean they can't be your decade-long bookend who isn't a penalty-prone turnstile with terrible feet/hands.

End of the day, I don't care what college uniform they wore. Pick the right one. Don't be the sucker who picks Chris Williams when other teams found Brandon Albert and Duane Brown...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The picks we trade for D.Watson or R.Wilson will shore up LT with their mobility.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Darrisaw is a top 10 player in this draft. Slater probably top 15-20, and there are some who like Slater more than Darrisaw. But I think both are gone by the time the Bears pick. Even still, there's nothing in Ryan Pace's history that tells me he's going to draft OT early in this draft. He's drafted fewer tackles than he has QBs in his years as a GM. And he has yet to challenge Leno as the LT.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
RT is also a big need. I'd be a proponent of drafting a guy who you are pretty sure can play RT and you hope that he can develop into LT. That's assuming Darrisaw is gone. I like Slater but I don't think he's LT. I think Sewell and Darrisaw are the only guys who are strong bets to plug and play at LT. Past that, a few RTs and some LTs who have talent but are much less certain imo. I'd put Cosmi right in that group, could be a high level LT but I think there's significant risk there relative to say Liam Eichenberg, who may be able to play LT but I think should be plug and play RT.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I am going with Cosmi as the best pure pass blocking LT, possibly in the draft. The issue with him is he’s not moving a dude in the run game so you know he isn’t playing RT. He’s either LT or bust. So, if Cosmi falls to 20, he will possibly take Leno’s spot.

He provides no versatility or swing, but man can he pass block.

for what we need, and at 20, it is Cosmi.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am going with Cosmi as the best pure pass blocking LT, possibly in the draft. The issue with him is he’s not moving a dude in the run game so you know he isn’t playing RT. He’s either LT or bust. So, if Cosmi falls to 20, he will possibly take Leno’s spot.

He provides no versatility or swing, but man can he pass block.

for what we need, and at 20, it is Cosmi.
Yeah he’s good. Honestly at this point WR or OT. People keep bagging on Bateman and I’m not sure why. He’s going to be a beast

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I know I said a couple posts ago that the Bears won't pick OT at 20, but I actually wonder if the Bears might cut Leno if they get a good tackle on the board. Sewell will be gone. But there's an outside shot Darrisaw or Slater could be there, I guess. I actually really like Sam Cosmi and Teven Jenkins, for different reasons. Cosmi is the super athlete with great traits, and projects as a LT. Jenkins is just the nastiest SOB in this draft. He's a true tone-setter on the line who can destroy his opponent at any given time, but only played RT in college (I think).

The Bears still have to find a way to sign their draft picks, so if they get a tackle early, Leno would be a prime candidate to cut and give the Bears enough space for all their picks. They also have some fluidity with Daniels' potential to play C, and Ifedi to play RG (he was not given 4.5Mil to be on the bench).

There's also a TON of OTs I like in the 2nd-3rd round range. I love this OL class. It's actually become underrated with all the QB and WR talk.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah he’s good. Honestly at this point WR or OT. People keep bagging on Bateman and I’m not sure why. He’s going to be a beast

My comp for Bateman is actually Allen Robinson. His game reminds me a lot of Robinson's except what you lose from ARob's jump ball ability, Bateman makes up with run after catch.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Easier to teach an athletic LT to be more physical / better techniques than trying to teach a mauler to pass block. Cosmi sounds like what we need if we stay at 20.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
There are so many decent tackles that the Bears should consider trying to get young bookends in this draft.

Jenkins, Mayfield and Cosmi should all be there at 20. Radunz, Eichenberg, Carman and Little should be there at 52. Brown is probably there in the third.

With a trade back, I think they could snag two tackles, a wideout and Mond or Mills in the first three rounds.

If the Bears walked out of this draft with Jenkins, Carman, Mills and Eskridge with a trade back I would love it. Both Carman and Jenkins are nasty SOBs.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
My comp for Bateman is actually Allen Robinson. His game reminds me a lot of Robinson's except what you lose from ARob's jump ball ability, Bateman makes up with run after catch.
Fair, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Dude is precise route runner too.. he’s day one ready imo

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There are so many decent tackles that the Bears should consider trying to get young bookends in this draft.

Jenkins, Mayfield and Cosmi should all be there at 20. Radunz, Eichenberg, Carmen and Little should be there at 52. Brown is probably there in the third.

With a trade back, I think they could snag two tackles, a wideout and Mond or Mills in the first three rounds.

If the Bears walked out of this draft with Jenkins, Carman, Mills and Eskridge with a trade back I would love it. Both Carman and Jenkins are nasty SOBs.

Not a fan of Carman, but I'd also add James Hudson (Cincy), D'Ante Smith (ECarolina), Walker Little (Stanford) and Brady Christensen (BYU) as guys who may be there at 83. If the Bears want bookend tackles, they can definitely get them this year.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
RT is also a big need. I'd be a proponent of drafting a guy who you are pretty sure can play RT and you hope that he can develop into LT. That's assuming Darrisaw is gone. I like Slater but I don't think he's LT. I think Sewell and Darrisaw are the only guys who are strong bets to plug and play at LT. Past that, a few RTs and some LTs who have talent but are much less certain imo. I'd put Cosmi right in that group, could be a high level LT but I think there's significant risk there relative to say Liam Eichenberg, who may be able to play LT but I think should be plug and play RT.
Why don’t you think Slater could hold the LT spot down?