What should the Cubs do with Ian Happ?

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What do you guys think the Cub's plans for Ian Happ should be? if he were to be traded what could a potential return look like?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I think it all depends on 4 things, how good the team is doing, how good a season he's having, how good the guys in the minors are doing, and lastly what mindset the front office will go into the season with. The better the team does, the less likely it makes trading him seem plausible provided he's having success as well. If Happ essentially duplicates 2022 for 23 then he probably is looking at a 20M AAV. At that point it becomes the gamble.

Truthfully, perhaps the best case scenario is the guys in the minors kill it in 23 while Happ and Bellinger do well with mediocre team success so trading them away for more farm pieces is realistic and those prospects make the transition in 2024 while the team throws 75-80M at Machado and Ohtani.

That being said, with their track record, they'd be better off re-signing Happ being the proverbial bird in the hand.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Play him, a switch hitter who hits for average and some power is hard to come buy. He is no worse than an average left fielder, but he runs the bases well and is a solid player with a 4.3 WAR. Unless the Cubs have somebody better, play him.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Play him, a switch hitter who hits for average and some power is hard to come buy. He is no worse than an average left fielder, but he runs the bases well and is a solid player with a 4.3 WAR. Unless the Cubs have somebody better, play him.
I think they'll definitely play him. I'm hoping they don't pay him though.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, he will play for sure...for now. It would probably take a lot of things going bad for the kid OFers the Cubs have for him to stay. They got Davis, PCA and Alcantara in the pipeline....they would have to really fall on their face for the Cubs to extend Happ. I really want to see him continue to do well this year.....he's still only 28 and checks a lot of boxes both on offense and defense. Could be a nice bargining chip at the deadline. But still, Bellinger is a pretty big question mark right now....they will defeinitely have some tough decisions to make.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mervis would have to crush spring training at this point. Most are expecting Iowa

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, he will play for sure...for now. It would probably take a lot of things going bad for the kid OFers the Cubs have for him to stay. They got Davis, PCA and Alcantara in the pipeline....they would have to really fall on their face for the Cubs to extend Happ. I really want to see him continue to do well this year.....he's still only 28 and checks a lot of boxes both on offense and defense. Could be a nice bargining chip at the deadline. But still, Bellinger is a pretty big question mark right now....they will defeinitely have some tough decisions to make.

$$$$. Bellenger demands 30M AAV Happ 20 AAV who is Jed targeting?

Best scenario is both have monster years. Jed slaps both with QO. Farm self produces replacements and those picks go towards system refills