What...the...fuck?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ok, so I got home from work and watched my recording of the game (just finished it). Just a few things that I'm sure have been discussed, but am several hours late for:

Can they bench Glennon now? I don't see how Trub could possibly have a worse day than that. Did that game seriously end with only a single catch by a WR (as many as their DBs)? That kind of reminds me of the Eagles, or whomever the fuck it was, a few years ago spending an entire season + without a WR touchdown. And if we're measuring by the traditional CCS stat of "almost picks," there should have been 3x the number of completions to the opposing team than to our WRs. It's as though Glennon is just faking going through his reads in order to check it down anyways.

How is it that they didn't pull Howard? Yes, he won the game and had a pair of great runs on that OT drive; but how did the coaching staff miss him shying away from contact, refusing to turn up-field, and generally looking lame (in the literal sense) for the most part of the last 20 minutes or so of that game? Dude is tough as fuck, and he put it together at the end, but he was turning into a liability that they refused to address.

Can they bench Glennon now? Let Barth play QB if you don't want to put in Trub -- he couldn't be much worse at QB as he is at fieldgoals. And I've been all for letting Trub sit and learn the playbook until he has it down, but this constant checkdown bullshit is just sad.

Refs...fucking...fucking...refs... Holy shitballs, there exist not the sufficient epithets to expound on the utter lack of anything resembling a cogent understanding of how to officiate a football game when describing what I just watched. Cohen's foot, Howard's knee, whatever the hell that was at halftime...

Seriously, Cooper? Seriously?

And while there were some good to point to (D front stopping the run, DBs stepping up from time to time, etc.), I'd like to point to the fact that it looks like the OC and team have figured out that the "misdirection" run may be their go-to play moving forward. Not to be confused with a counter, as a counter run is essentially a back-side power run: front-side G pulling against the grain to block out the "back-side" DE or OLB who thinks he's playing contain while the rest of the line blocks out to the front side. The "misdirection" is run almost exactly like all of their outside-zone schemes with the back-side OT or TE just riding his guy down the line rather than the opposite side OG pulling back to make that block. The HB makes a hop-step to the false "front-side" to take the handoff and then cuts it back even before reading the blocks. The primary difference between this play and the other zone runs is that in most zone schemes the back-side DE/OLB is left unblocked, while in this it's a designed cutback run where that defender is accounted for. It's the run that should have been that Cohen TD, as well as the last two Howard runs. Pump that well until it dries up, or teams account for it -- making their usual zone runs even more efficient.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Good rant even if late. Sanchez could do as much if they really don't want Trubisky.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Have a thought - start a thread!

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There is already plenty of threads on this topic but at least it's well written.

nlro7sxgdknz.jpg

Can they bench Glennon now? .

When Trubisky is ready the Bears will let him in. Here is what Trubisky is saying about his development.

"On Friday, with three weeks of regular-season practice under his belt, Trubisky spoke openly at Halas Hall about the learning curve he's climbing. And sure, he acknowledged, it's sometimes amusing to hear fans and critics oversimplify the demands of playing quarterback in the NFL.

"Yeah," he said. "I mean, that's football in general. It's a lot more complex than people think it is. That's what makes it special for us.""

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-mitch-trubisky-rookie-growth-20170922-story.html

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
There is already plenty of threads on this topic but at least it's well written.

nlro7sxgdknz.jpg

When Trubisky is ready the Bears will let him in. Here is what Trubisky is saying about his development.

"On Friday, with three weeks of regular-season practice under his belt, Trubisky spoke openly at Halas Hall about the learning curve he's climbing. And sure, he acknowledged, it's sometimes amusing to hear fans and critics oversimplify the demands of playing quarterback in the NFL.

"Yeah," he said. "I mean, that's football in general. It's a lot more complex than people think it is. That's what makes it special for us.""

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-mitch-trubisky-rookie-growth-20170922-story.html

Must have missed the part where he said put anyone else in. I agree with Tj; if Trubisky isn't ready, put someone else in. Absolute horseshit play from QB could endanger our RBs. This cannot keep happening week in and week out.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Everyone knows it's impossible for rookie QBs to play their first year. It's never been done before!!! So stop asking for the impossible and realize that we have a good four to five years before it's likely for him to be ready.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Must have missed the part where he said put anyone else in. I agree with Tj; if Trubisky isn't ready, put someone else in. Absolute horseshit play from QB could endanger our RBs. This cannot keep happening week in and week out.

The Sanchez idea isn't a bad one but injuring the RBs? Really? It's bad enough without everyone fishing for reasons.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
The Sanchez idea isn't a bad one but injuring the RBs? Really? It's bad enough without everyone fishing for reasons.

You see, I looked at it like the team looked to RBs to step up and make plays. That we won when asking 35 attempts and 11 receptions by RBs so that the greatest percentage of our offense has to come from the backfield. Asking RBs to step up and make plays when we most need - even playing through pain in Howard's case - because the QB could not be relied upon to step up and make plays. THAT is in fact what cannot keep happening week in and week out. I stand by that 100%. But I guess I was "fishing"? For what? REASONS to bench Glennon?

Assuming the reasoning of the other's position and judging it on a faulty premise (that I was reaching due to predetermined bias of benching Glennon for another) is straw man.

Illogical, my fellow Trekkie.