What they didn't tell us about Fields

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
I really enjoyed the video. Gives a good overview of his journey from freshman year at Georgia to leading up to the draft. Worth a watch imo

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Some kid called him the "N" word. Kid shortly got kicked out of the college. Fields used that as the reasoning for his hardship transfer request to go to OSU, even though he admitted he was cool with Georgia and their program.

Also, ironically enough, Fields was on the Netflix special called QB1. So maybe when the Bears posted the QB1 pic of Dalton they were sending us all a message on what was coming.
Not entirely what happened.. Jake Fromm's parents are big time boosters for the program. A lot has leaked that essentially said they strongly encouraged Kirby Smart and the rest of the program that it would be wise for them to start Fromm.

Fields knew what was going on and was obviously upset. Shortly after that he heard the slur, so did several teammates.. he claims the slur wasnt the reason for his transfer, but it definitely helped his case.

The whole "he couldn't beat out Fromm" narrative is lazy, for one, but it's also irrelevant. Hell, Joe Burrow couldn't beat out Dwyane Haskins... does it really matter?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I really enjoyed the video. Gives a good overview of his journey from freshman year at Georgia to leading up to the draft. Worth a watch imo
Can you summarize please?

@Nelly is sort of being a dick

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I still haven't found 20 minutes to watch it yet.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Can you summarize please?

@Nelly is sort of being a dick
He just did. It's his journey from high school through college up to the point of being eligible for the draft. That's the summary.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He just did. It's his journey from high school through college up to the point of being eligible for the draft. That's the summary.
Still too busy to watch it last nite. Thanks for the summary tho.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Still too busy to watch it last nite. Thanks for the summary tho.
Anytime. Really, it's just the details about that. The dude seems to always get short changed relative to his talent and his accomplishments. They talked about how he was a catalyst in getting the Big 10 to play last year and how important it was that he get another shot at Clemson, which he did and destroyed them. Dude's taken on every challenge put in front of him and he still gets disrespected, most recently the fall to #11 and being the 4th QB drafted. We got a good one.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anytime. Really, it's just the details about that. The dude seems to always get short changed relative to his talent and his accomplishments. They talked about how he was a catalyst in getting the Big 10 to play last year and how important it was that he get another shot at Clemson, which he did and destroyed them. Dude's taken on every challenge put in front of him and he still gets disrespected, most recently the fall to #11 and being the 4th QB drafted. We got a good one.

I know how it feels, I work hard, multitask like a mofo and the day isn't done when I leave the office. But even then I get disrespected and called lazy somehow because I can't drop everything I'm working on to watch a super long youtube video. SMH!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently he wasn't falling any farther either. Nagy actually gave a lot for the move but it appears there was a reason with the Vikes and Saints having genuine interest and talking to the Giants.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Apparently he wasn't falling any farther either. Nagy actually gave a lot for the move but it appears there was a reason with the Vikes and Saints having real interest.
They're probably also banking on that 1st round pick being a low one again. The difference between #11 and #20 is only 400 points. Even if our next year's pick is #20 again, that's 850 points, not including the 4th and 5th rounders we gave up as well.

Oh well. It won't mean shit if Fields turns out to be a star.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
With all those flashing adds now I have epilepsy!

Seriously though, he's a good prospect. IMHO #11 was the right spot for him. As a prospect I had him behind Lawrence, Wilson and despite being close still behind Lance. The difference between going #4 and #11 is the talent level of the other draft eligible players.
could you explain reason for having Fields behind Wilson and Lance?

i loved Lance, he was who i wanted Bears to go get, but i admittedly didn't watch much film on any of them. just a few clips here n there. Lance seemed like best running QB of them all so that was my only reasoning really lol.

but after watching a lot more video and scouting tapes now that we've got Fields, i am super perplexed at anyone having Lance ranked over Fields. they are almost exact same measurements and athleticism, but Fields is just faster and a way better passer and has done it on a much much bigger stage against much much better competition.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
They're probably also banking on that 1st round pick being a low one again. The difference between #11 and #20 is only 400 points. Even if our next year's pick is #20 again, that's 850 points, not including the 4th and 5th rounders we gave up as well.

Oh well. It won't mean shit if Fields turns out to be a star.
i just can't do this points system lol. a guy who should've gone top 3 fell to 11, points system of how much draft picks are worth goes out the window. so really figure out how much 20 to 3 usually costs lol.

Bears getting a franchise QB is incalculable.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
could you explain reason for having Fields behind Wilson and Lance?

i loved Lance, he was who i wanted Bears to go get, but i admittedly didn't watch much film on any of them. just a few clips here n there. Lance seemed like best running QB of them all so that was my only reasoning really lol.

but after watching a lot more video and scouting tapes now that we've got Fields, i am super perplexed at anyone having Lance ranked over Fields. they are almost exact same measurements and athleticism, but Fields is just faster and a way better passer and has done it on a much much bigger stage against much much better competition.

Wilson - His ability to throw off platform and improvise are the best in this draft. When I say improvise, I don't mean run, I mean keeps his eyes downfield, buy time, then with his compact delivery be able to drop a dime. I also like the story. Only a 3 star recruit, but became the youngest starting QB for BYU all time, worked on his craft, then had a really remarkable 2020 season. He has a smaller frame, but his natural ability to develop torque is like Rodgers/Mahomes.

Lance - I know it's a small school, but they run a pro system, so I look at what a typical ND State QB is asked to do against a lower level of competition better prepares them them some larger schools. I also see him as the youngest prospect of the top 5 who really was amazing in 2019. He didn't throw an interception! Overall, I really liked Carson Wentz as a prospect and when watching both of them in the same system I feel Lance is just better.

Fields - I like him and hope he works, but I'll speak only to some of the negatives I see:
  • Spread Offense - His great production came in a system that doesn't always translate to the NFL.
  • Field Vision - I'm not saying he can't see the field, but I saw a lot of him not making it to his 2nd or 3rd read. What I fear is in the NFL he'll misread what the defense is showing, the first and second option are taken away, then he flips to being a runningback. That is actually what some current QBs do (Lamar Jackson/Cam Newton), but I don't think it leads to long term success. I also think there's a fine line between QBs that can have careers with that makeup and ones who aren't able to stick.
  • Ohio St. QBs in the NFL - This is probably completely unfair to Fields, but with many different coaches and schemes, despite there being a lot of team success, Ohio St QBs have not done well in the NFL. Think back to Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller, Dwayne Haskins, Terrelle Pryor and Cardele Jones. There is probably more combined success not being QBs in the NFL. Even with Joe Burrow being their 2 years, not really getting a chance, then going to LSU and lighting it up I wonder if the specific traits Ohio St. covets from their QBs don't transition to the pros.

To your last paragraph of why Lance > Fields for me it's system. When you see the ND State film there are many things he was asked to do that transition nicely to an NFL team. He was routinely asked to make pre-snap reads, audible out of bad plays, be both under center and in shotgun and work through progressions. As much as I saw Fields do similar/better throws or have more explosive runs against a higher level of competition I'm focusing on what got them there. I think Fields is the better athlete hands down and might be the better thrower. Lance has shown to have done the little, non athletic measures more often and at a very high level.

I hope that helps understand where I'm coming from.

Again, I can't stress this enough, I LIKE JUSTIN FIELDS!!! I actually like all 5 of the first QBs drafted and their respective landing spots. I'm just making sense of why NFL teams, who are extremely invested in each pick and have life long scouts breaking things down elected to draft people ahead of Fields.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Ohst can't do this points system lol. a guy who should've gone top 3 fell to 11, points system of how much draft picks are worth goes out the window. so really figure out how much 20 to 3 usually costs lol.

Bears getting a franchise QB is incalculable.
Oh I know. The points kinda go out the window when you're dealing with franchise qbs.