What to do with Allen Robinson?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have no idea what the right thing to do with Allen Robinson is.

-It really appears he does not want to be here and who can blame him with this pathetic offense, QB, and coach.

-The franchise tag would really hurt the Bears cap situation.

-But if Nagy and company are back we probably need him at WR.

I do not know what to do. I think if we make a change at GM and HC that he could be tagged and traded, but I doubt we get more than a 2nd or 3rd+ for a guy who wants 18/season.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is one of my favorite receivers, even when he was in Jax so I am biased. even moreso with how fast Mooney is coming along. Thoughts of Robinson/Mooney for 4-5 years sounds really enticing. I am all for working out a long term deal with him, even if it's a tad more than his 'worth'. Throw in Miller in the slot and you really have a nice WR group.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Allen Robinson is a good offensive playmaker so the Bears should not pay him. We need that money for additional midget gadget players and maybe another linebacker.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Man I want him here. He is one of the few people on this offense that can do something to change the course of the game.

I have a feeling he's not back with us next year, which is a sad thing I think. But it's not hard to see why he'd want out of here.

Unless we have a new coach and QB next year, I doubt Robinson is back.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What if you could send him to the Jets, they desperately need someone for Lawrence, and you got back 3[65] and a 3[2022]?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Should have been traded last season before trade deadline when we could of got a first round pick for him. Now we will either blow up the cap to sign him/franchise tag or settle for a comp pick.

FU pace

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
The Cap in 2021 is tight to begin with (3 and change mil per Spotrac). It's not unmanageable.

Cutting Skrine, Graham, and Massie adds 16 and change mil to that.

Not a fan of kicking the can down the road, but you can always restructure Kyle Fuller's 'poison pill' year and Mack because in 2022 they're estimated to have 90 mil in cap (with Roquan and Miller to extend or not).

If the bears want to keep Allen Robinson, it's easier to do than people think with a franchise tag. If Robinson is like Kyle Long when it comes to Nagy (assuming Nagy doesn't get shitcanned) the best option would be to let go or tag and try to trade.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, and he wants out. No chance of a long term deal.

If he's threatening hold out and no chance of a deal then you'd have to. Might as well get an additional 3rd while you can.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cap in 2021 is tight to begin with (3 and change mil per Spotrac). It's not unmanageable.

Not a fan of kicking the can down the road, but you can always restructure Kyle Fuller's 'poison pill' year and Mack because in 2022 they're estimated to have 90 mil in cap (with Roquan and Miller to extend or not).

If the bears want to keep Allen Robinson, it's easier to do than people think with a franchise tag. If Robinson is like Kyle Long when it comes to Nagy (assuming Nagy doesn't get shitcanned) the best option would be to let go or tag and try to trade.
How does it work if you designate FT on a player and they hold out? I thought the tag was automatically a one year guaranteed contract once you make the designation regardless if the player signs or not?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
How does it work if you designate FT on a player and they hold out? I thought the tag was automatically a one year guaranteed contract once you make the designation regardless if the player signs or not?

You can tag Robinson.

He doesn't have to sign it, that's his choice and nobody in the bears FO has control of that. It will be up to the bears to decide to make him eat it for a year at home or move on, whether it be trading him or relinquishing the tag.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think they will tag him.

But an 18 million cap hit will be a HUGE portion of their offseason budget. Even with the moves you suggest the Bears are likely to have 36-40 million in budget.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What if you could send him to the Jets, they desperately need someone for Lawrence, and you got back 3[65] and a 3[2022]?
I'm assuming you mean a tag and trade?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Unless this season unravels to a point where we only win one or two more games and have no choice but to fire Nagy, you do everything to keep Robinson. You let someone go on the defensive side first

You tag him and hope the offense improves. You are sending the wrong message if you let him go. He's been committed and consistently trying to shoulder the weight of our anemic offense.

I'd rather cut both our OTs, find rookies to replace them and trade somee of our defensive players. Trade Eddie Goldman. It will be a shame if we have to pay Robert Quinn, while letting Robinson walk.

Heck I'd be for coupling a late round draft pick, and a young guy for a team to eat a contract that we don't want...

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can tag Robinson.

He doesn't have to sign it, that's his choice and nobody in the bears FO has control of that. It will be up to the bears to decide to make him eat it for a year at home or move on, whether it be trading him or relinquishing the tag.

Right but that money has to be available, so you'd have to clear out space to even think about tagging him?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I have no idea what the right thing to do with Allen Robinson is.

-It really appears he does not want to be here and who can blame him with this pathetic offense, QB, and coach.

-The franchise tag would really hurt the Bears cap situation.

-But if Nagy and company are back we probably need him at WR.

I do not know what to do. I think if we make a change at GM and HC that he could be tagged and traded, but I doubt we get more than a 2nd or 3rd+ for a guy who wants 18/season.

We're not in a horrible spot with him cause we can still re-sign him or we can let him go and get a 3rd round comp for him. I'd rather have him back if Pace can fix the o-line and draft a QB and see if he can win the starting job in preseason (if we have a preseason) and if not then i think fixing the o-line will help Foles play better and let whoever we draft sit a year or a half a year or whatever they decide depending on how whoever that QB we draft is progressing.

This is a 3 round draft i'd be pretty damn happy with. I'd rather we try to trade up to get Z.Wilson, T.Lance or maybe even K.Trask but if we can get Mac Jones in the 2nd round then i'd be happy with this draft.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Right but that money has to be available, so you'd have to clear out space to even think about tagging him?

The cuts can be made before/on the 1st day of the 21-22 season and there's a window to apply the franchise tag before leading up/into the new year.

Restructuring the big contracts/more cuts to useless players (Leno) after to fit in draft/minor FAs.