What's Next for Dexter Fowler?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pitchers and catchers report to Arizona in less than one month to begin preparing for the 2016 season. Most players know what team they are going to play for in 2016. But what about outfielder Dexter Fowler?

Fowler was the Chicago Cubs starting center fielder last season and was one player that helped the Cubs reach the National League Champion Series. After the season was over, the Cubs gave Fowler a qualifying offer that he rejected. In doing so, Fowler decided to bet on himself and test free agency. The move is not paying off as its January, 23rd and he’s still looking for a team.

A guy who is still in his prime (29-years old) and has good onbase skills, can steal and is great in the clubhouse. why is he still looking for a team? Fowler wants a long-term contact and many teams want to give him a shorter term contract. Will Fowler have to lower his demands or will a team bite? Which side will blink first?

Cubs’ President of Operations Theo Epstein and General Manager Jed Hoyer have had only praise for Fowler when asked about him. The Cubs were interested in Fowler on a contract less than three years but Fowler wanted more years. The Cubs instead signed Jason Heyward to a 8-year contract for 184 million with an opt-out after the 3rd year to play center field. Could the Cubs still be in pay for Fowler? Of Course, there’s always that possibility.

But I don’t know how realistic that scenario is.

The Cubs have talked about trading Jorge Soler, but those rumors have seem to die down. The Cubs may have more interest in bringing back Austin Jackson. The interest level in Jackson is to be seen. Even if the Cubs trade Soler, I don’t know of the money is there to bring back Fowler. That’s where Jackson’s name comes up in the Cubs rumor mill since he’ll be cheaper on a shorter team contract. Hoyer was asked about Fowler at the Cubs convention and kept praising Fowler. Hoyer did not say they were not still interested in bringing him back, however. For whatever it is worth. The Cubs lost their first two draft picks by signing Heyward and John Lackey, but if Fowler signs elsewhere, the Cubs will get a second round back.

Fowler’s teams are dwindling down and hard to predict what team he will go to. The San Francisco Giants were believe to have interest in Fowler, but the Giants signed Denard Span to a 3-year contract instead. The New York Mets were said to be ‘kicking the tires’ on Fowler but the Mets re-signed Yoenis Cespedes to a 3-year contract for 75 million with an opt-out after the 1st year. Along with the Cubs, those were two teams heavily tagged to Fowler all off-season.

There are three teams that stick out to me when it comes to signing Fowler and makes sense for all three clubs. The Los Angeles Angels, Chicago White Sox and Washington Nationals.

Credit: Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports
Credit: Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports
The Nationals made a run at Cespedes and were thought to be on the verge of signing him until the Mets gave him an offer he couldn’t refuse. The Nationals have the money as there offer to Cespedes was for 5 years and over 100 million. The Nationals outbid a lot of teams on free agents this year, but nothing to show for it. Ben Zobrist and Heyward took less money to sign with the Cubs and Cespedes did the same to re-sign with the Mets. The Nationals may still want to make a splash, (Daniel Murghy is not a splash) could Fowler be the guy?

The Nationals don’t have to be in an urgent to do so as they have Jayson Werth, Ben Revere and Bryce Harper roaming the outfield. However, Werth is up there in age and has trouble staying healthy these days. Fowler would be good insurance on the Nationals and can move Revere to the 4th outfield. Depth is everything in the world of professional sports.

The Angels say they are not in on any free agent outfielders but never doubt them. The Angels jumped in last minute in the Albert Pujols derby and the Josh Hamilton derby, ultimately signing both of those players. If the past years mean anything, it’s not to believe what the Angels are saying. The Angels have a need for an outfielder as they have all 4th outfielders, besides Mike Trout. If the price is right, don’t count out the Angels on signing Fowler.

The White Sox have been pretty quiet this off-season and they do need another bat. The White Sox have been consistent with saying they will not go beyond three years on an outfielder. But Fowler is still in his prime and would be an nice addition to the ball club. He brings on-base skills, leadership ability and the lead off mentality.

The White Sox have not yet counter their division foes as the Kansas site Royals re-signed Alex Gordon and last week the Detroit Tigers signed Justin Upton. If the season ended today, the White would go with Melky Cabrera, Adam Eaton and Avisail Garcia in the outfield. I’m not saying that’s a horrible outfield, but Fowler would definitely be an upgrade.

With spring training right around the corner, I think Fowler signs within the next two weeks. To who? I’m going to go with the White Sox. The Sox need another bat, he’s young, won’t be too expensive and need to counter their rivals moves. If the Sox still don’t want to give a contract over three years, I can see them structuring the contract like the Mets just gave Cespedes. A contract in the atmosphere of 3 years, around 70 million and an opt out after year one or year two.

Where do you think Fowler signs and do you think the White Sox is a good fit? Let me hear you!

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Sox ranked dead last in run production last year (A.L.). Part of the reason was woeful hitting by their outfielders. The Sox simply had too many table setters and not enough power bats to drive in base runners. Fowler (who drove in 46 RBI in 2015) does not fulfill a need for this team, and signing him would be a waste of money and a draft pick.

Again, we need a RF who can drive in runs (HRs and RBIs), not get on base (OBP).

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Sox ranked dead last in run production last year (A.L.). Part of the reason was woeful hitting by their outfielders. The Sox simply had too many table setters and not enough power bats to drive in base runners. Fowler (who drove in 46 RBI in 2015) does not fulfill a need for this team, and signing him would be a waste of money and a draft pick.

Again, we need a RF who can drive in runs (HRs and RBIs), not get on base (OBP).

The fact you quote RBI's as a substantial stat is hilarious. Secondly, the White Sox ranked 27th in home runs and 27th in OBP. Fowler hit 17 homers last year that was good for 26th best out of all QF outfielders. 26th in fWar. So, the Sox may not sign him but he would help fall's team in almost every way possible.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The fact you quote RBI's as a substantial stat is hilarious. Secondly, the White Sox ranked 27th in home runs and 27th in OBP. Fowler hit 17 homers last year that was good for 26th best out of all QF outfielders. 26th in fWar. So, the Sox may not sign him but he would help fall's team in almost every way possible.
Fowler would help the Sox lineup. Quality locker room presence, too.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Uh, there is a direct correlation between RUNS-BATTED-IN and RUN PRODUCTION. Hence the term, RUNS-BATTED-IN.

Since the Sox ranked dead last in the A.L. in runs scored last year, it makes sense that acquiring a power bat would be the focus of their offseason agenda, if they're serious about contending right away.

You point out that Fowler ranked 26th among outfielders last year. This merely validates my argument against signing him. Our entire OF consists of guys who want to get on base. What good is that if they're left stranded on base most of the time?

So who in the OF needs to be replaced the most? Obviously it's Garcia. He's simply not the player Hahn and Kenny thought he would be. So they need to find a new RF'er with pop who can drive in runs with multi-base hits and home runs. Carlos Gonzalez, who hit 40 HRs and drove in 97 RBI last year, would make an immediate and profound impact in that lineup. Guys like Eaton and Cabrera will score more runs, and Abreu will see better pitches with Cargo slotted behind him in the lineup. This isn't rocket science, but I understand why the Cubbie fans here have trouble comprehending this, considering they're lack of real baseball knowledge.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Uh, there is a direct correlation between RUNS-BATTED-IN and RUN PRODUCTION. Hence the term, RUNS-BATTED-IN.

Since the Sox ranked dead last in the A.L. in runs scored last year, it makes sense that acquiring a power bat would be the focus of their offseason agenda, if they're serious about contending right away.

You point out that Fowler ranked 26th among outfielders last year. This merely validates my argument against signing him. Our entire OF consists of guys who want to get on base. What good is that if they're left stranded on base most of the time?

So who in the OF needs to be replaced the most? Obviously it's Garcia. He's simply not the player Hahn and Kenny thought he would be. So they need to find a new RF'er with pop who can drive in runs with multi-base hits and home runs. Carlos Gonzalez, who hit 40 HRs and drove in 97 RBI last year, would make an immediate and profound impact in that lineup. Guys like Eaton and Cabrera will score more runs, and Abreu will see better pitches with Cargo slotted behind him in the lineup. This isn't rocket science, but I understand why the Cubbie fans here have trouble comprehending this, considering they're lack of real baseball knowledge.

Dexter Fowler batted first. RBI's are based off of guys getting on base in front of you. He had less than a 100 AB's with runner in scoring position. Kind of hard to drive in runs when your opputunitev are limited but, you know, its hard for a White Sox off his meds to grasp that. Fowler makes the White Sox better. You also keep saying the White Sox have OBP. No, no they don't. Its why they ranked 27th in the league with a putrid .306 OBP. You want more runs. You need more guys on base. Its not rocket science broski

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Dexter Fowler batted first. RBI's are based off of guys getting on base in front of you. He had less than a 100 AB's with runner in scoring position. Kind of hard to drive in runs when your opputunitev are limited but, you know, its hard for a White Sox off his meds to grasp that. Fowler makes the White Sox better. You also keep saying the White Sox have OBP. No, no they don't. Its why they ranked 27th in the league with a putrid .306 OBP. You want more runs. You need more guys on base. Its not rocket science broski

God you're dense. Of course Fowler batted 1st -- he's a friggin LEAD OFF HITTER. We clearly have a leadoff hitter (Eaton) and Cabrera (batting second) already.

Are you proposing the Sox should sign Fowler to bat 3rd or 4th? That doesn't make any sense. That's almost as stupid as saying a 37 year old 4th/5th starting pitcher is going to get you into the World Series this year. Losing has made Cubs fans the most ignorant fans in baseball.

I'll go ahead and ask the million dollar questions to you Cubs fans... if you think Fowler is so good, why didn't the Cubs keep him? And why is he still sitting on the market as we speak? This should be good...:popcorn:

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
No, no they don't. Its why they ranked 27th in the league with a putrid .306 OBP. You want more runs. You need more guys on base. Its not rocket science broski

Hey shit for brains, look up Adam Eaton's stats from 2015, then come back and tell me how no one gets on base. The problem is, the guys who get paid to drive in runs aren't doing it. Eaton and Fowler are the same damn player!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
God you're dense. Of course Fowler batted 1st -- he's a friggin LEAD OFF HITTER. We clearly have a leadoff hitter (Eaton) and Cabrera (batting second) already.

Are you proposing the Sox should sign Fowler to bat 3rd or 4th? That doesn't make any sense. That's almost as stupid as saying a 37 year old 4th/5th starting pitcher is going to get you into the World Series this year. Losing has made Cubs fans the most ignorant fans in baseball.

I'll go ahead and ask the million dollar questions to you Cubs fans... if you think Fowler is so good, why didn't the Cubs keep him? And why is he still sitting on the market as we speak? This should be good...:popcorn:

Simple, he wanted more than 3 years. The Cubs didn't want to give him more than 3 years. They signed Heyward which makes Fowler not a need for us. As for why Fowler is on the market, that is simple as well. The compensation pick and the length he wants for the contract is the hold up. He will get signed.

So, on to your beer ridden nonsense, you admit Fowler batted leadoff but yet directly stated he didn't have enough RBI's. So, if you knew he wouldn't get the RBI opportunities in the 1 spot then what was the point of saying how many RBI's he had last year. Doesn't make sense does it?

Also, I like how you keep calling Cubs fans losers or use to losing. You're a middle aged man on a message board either trolling or the IQ of a toddler.

To say Dexter Fowler wouldn't help the White Sox is hysterical and I hope you don't pass on your logic to the younger generation. They already have enough problem.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey shit for brains, look up Adam Eaton's stats from 2015, then come back and tell me how no one gets on base. The problem is, the guys who get paid to drive in runs aren't doing it. Eaton and Fowler are the same damn player!

Hey medication needed, the TEAM had a .306 OBP. THE WHOLE TEAM. You know the team that plays everyday. The team that wins or loses. Congrats, Eaton had a solid a solid OBP. Your team as a whole sucked.

Let me explain. The Toronto Blue Jays led the league in OBP at .340. Guess what else they led in? Thats right runs.

Cubs were 12th in OBP. They were 16th in Runs. See the correlation or do I have to bring Jim Johnson in here to explain stats to you?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Simple, he wanted more than 3 years. The Cubs didn't want to give him more than 3 years. They signed Heyward which makes Fowler not a need for us. As for why Fowler is on the market, that is simple as well. The compensation pick and the length he wants for the contract is the hold up. He will get signed.

So, on to your beer ridden nonsense, you admit Fowler batted leadoff but yet directly stated he didn't have enough RBI's. So, if you knew he wouldn't get the RBI opportunities in the 1 spot then what was the point of saying how many RBI's he had last year. Doesn't make sense does it?

Also, I like how you keep calling Cubs fans losers or use to losing. You're a middle aged man on a message board either trolling or the IQ of a toddler.

To say Dexter Fowler wouldn't help the White Sox is hysterical and I hope you don't pass on your logic to the younger generation. They already have enough problem.

Fowler is a leadoff hitter, and we have already have one of those. Case closed.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Hey medication needed, the TEAM had a .306 OBP. THE WHOLE TEAM. You know the team that plays everyday. The team that wins or loses. Congrats, Eaton had a solid a solid OBP. Your team as a whole sucked.

Let me explain. The Toronto Blue Jays led the league in OBP at .340. Guess what else they led in? Thats right runs.

Cubs were 12th in OBP. They were 16th in Runs. See the correlation or do I have to bring Jim Johnson in here to explain stats to you?

Low OBP was not the problem last year, and signing someone who's good at getting to first base won't fix this lineup. Your one dimensional thinking and simplistic understanding of baseball must be what keeps you swilling shit beer while watching that train wreck at Wrigley.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How long is Cabrera signed for?

Fowler is not a one year decision. He is available now, it's a 5 year decision. I think he makes the Sox better now and in the future.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How long is Cabrera signed for?

Fowler is not a one year decision. He is available now, it's a 5 year decision. I think he makes the Sox better now and in the future.

Not at the cost of the 2nd round pick plus the salary he will command.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not at the cost of the 2nd round pick plus the salary he will command.
The second round pick isn't going to be scoring any runs this season or next or likely the next after that. Fowler would likely be off the books before that pick even becomes relevant.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The second round pick isn't going to be scoring any runs this season or next or likely the next after that. Fowler would likely be off the books before that pick even becomes relevant.

Just because he is off the books doesn't mean you don't set the team back by making the signing. Fowler does not offer enough on what the team needs most. The cost is two fold. And given where the Sox draft in the second, their philosophy on drafting, and their ability to coach pitchers, there is a reasonable expectation that it's a piece in two years time.

He just doesn't seem to fit for the price he is going to cost.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Just because he is off the books doesn't mean you don't set the team back by making the signing. Fowler does not offer enough on what the team needs most. The cost is two fold. And given where the Sox draft in the second, their philosophy on drafting, and their ability to coach pitchers, there is a reasonable expectation that it's a piece in two years time.

He just doesn't seem to fit for the price he is going to cost.
Nobody sets a team back by missing on a 2nd round pick.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Nobody sets a team back by missing on a 2nd round pick.

It's resources that can be spent elsewhere. You feel Fowler is worth it. Currently no one in baseball agrees.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It's resources that can be spent elsewhere. You feel Fowler is worth it. Currently no one in baseball agrees.
Not true. Fowler was asking for too many years, which is why the Cubs went a different direction. He's right now going to have to change what he wants to meet the market.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not true. Fowler was asking for too many years, which is why the Cubs went a different direction. He's right now going to have to change what he wants to meet the market.

And no one at the present wants Fowler. Their reasoning for not wanting him matters not.