What's The Most Important Thing To You About Our New HC and GM?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For me it's the same for both candidates:

I want a clear and specific plan to get long term excellence at the QB position. Not just stability. I want to know what's their plan to get elite top 10 QB play permanently at that position.

That means:

How do you plan on developing and supporting Fields?
How do you identify if Fields is the answer?
How long do you give him?
What's your plan if he isn't the answer?
How do you keep long term excellence at the position?

These are the first things I'm asking. If a coach or a GM can't give clear and specific answers I'd end the interview there.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It isn’t just about Fields. It’s about the team. Fields is a part of it, a big part, but just a part.

They both need to have a vision for what they want the team to be. They then need to have a short and long term plan to execute it, along with the ability to change it up if/when wrenches get thrown into the machine.

On top of that, the HC needs to be THE clear leader of the team.

Luke

Liked Posts:
First things first.
I'd like a GM who at least has been an asst GM if not GM and has worked at high level positions across multiple successful orgs. Dodds, Wolf and Smith come to mind.
I think many of these GM candidates will be over their head and we've seen how that works out.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First things first.
I'd like a GM who at least has been an asst GM if not GM and has worked at high level positions across multiple successful orgs. Dodds, Wolf and Smith come to mind.
I think many of these GM candidates will be over their head and we've seen how that works out.
Pace wasn't the most experienced at those "high level positions" if I remember correctly.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For me it's the same for both candidates:

I want a clear and specific plan to get long term excellence at the QB position. Not just stability. I want to know what's their plan to get elite top 10 QB play permanently at that position.

That means:

How do you plan on developing and supporting Fields?
How do you identify if Fields is the answer?
How long do you give him?
What's your plan if he isn't the answer?
How do you keep long term excellence at the position?

These are the first things I'm asking. If a coach or a GM can't give clear and specific answers I'd end the interview there.
This. If you take care of Fields, a QB you traded up for in the first round, the rest will follow.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It isn’t just about Fields. It’s about the team. Fields is a part of it, a big part, but just a part.

They both need to have a vision for what they want the team to be. They then need to have a short and long term plan to execute it, along with the ability to change it up if/when wrenches get thrown into the machine.

On top of that, the HC needs to be THE clear leader of the team.

My vision is a team that has a top 10 QB for the next 50 years.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
GM
1. Not just saying building through the draft, but actually doing it
2. Accountability for his head coach
3. Let Stein handle the cap, he's the best in the business
4. Fire and da passion

HC
1. Accountability
2. Fire and da passion

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
1) Intimate understanding of Bear weather.

2) Ability to teach players about Bear weather.

3) Can they recite the entire roster of the '85 Bears in alphabetical order.
3a. Where was the RollerDome located?

3b. Who is Charles Martin?

Luke

Liked Posts:
Pace wasn't the most experienced at those "high level positions" if I remember correctly.

thats where working for multiple successful orgs helps out as you gain additional insight and experience.
Dodds Wolf and Smith were at least director of player personnel at a prior team before becoming asst. GM or GM at their next gig.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
thats where working for multiple successful orgs helps out as you gain additional insight and experience.
Dodds Wolf and Smith were at least director of player personnel at a prior team before becoming asst. GM or GM at their next gig.
Agreed on this.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Multiple different responsibilities for the GM. From what I can gather the Bears give the GM more duties and autonomy than average for an NFL GM. This is probably an attractive feature, but also requires experience doing many things. I think Pace is a very good scout. But he faltered at other aspects of the job - vet signings, contracts, trades, cap issues, coaching hires - and I think he probably had too much on his plate for very big decisions like the bungled process that led to Trubisky.

So I want a guy who has enough experience to know what he type of load he can take on and to have people to bring in to do what he can't. Rick Smith, to me, is the best bet for that because of his experience. Plus he has a very good track record drafting imo.

Head coach: shares the GM's philosophy, can coach up Fields or has an OC who can, solid leader, and flexibility. Nagy completely lacked flex. It's not about a scheme, it's about people.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Since ownership is clueless, and a smart, effective team president is not happening, it will fall on the GM to be both in setting the vision for the team. Setting guidelines for the type and character of every player drafted and every coach/assistant on the team. It means every scout, personnel manager, strength coach, towel boy, EVERYONE MUST BE ON THE SAME PAGE!!! Drafting well is critical, as is managing the cap and NOT TRADING TOP DRAFT PICKS AWAY BECAUSE YOU KEEP MISSING ON THEM!!!!
that’s all……..

Stonewall

Liked Posts:
Pep Hamilton needs to be on the incoming staff and the Bears need to pay whatever it costs.

Every qb he has coached, has been decent at least. He turned Davis Mills into a serviceable NFL qb

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Pep Hamilton needs to be on the incoming staff and the Bears need to pay whatever it costs.

Every qb he has coached, has been decent at least. He turned Davis Mills into a serviceable NFL qb
Roman/Hamilton reunion?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I told you guys to watch out for Davis Mills.