What's the story with Alejandro Villanueva?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Yes, yes and yes he is. At that price he would be a bargain on a one year deal.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No cap space or need for OL upgrades, We got Andy Dalton.
Not every GM can get a free agent QB1 for $10.5 M.
Pace got 2!!

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It appears to be a tackle heavy draft and he wants more than he's worth. He's an upgrade over Leno but he's old, declining, expensive.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He seems like a big upgrade over Leno. According to the article below his agent thought he could get 12-13 but there is no real market for LTs (hard to believe) and that they might take 8-9 mil a year. Leno's cap hit is over 10 mill a year. I don't know a lot about him other than he is really large, he has to be an upgrade over Leno.

Kinkhabwala: 'I Just Don't Think The Money Is Out There' For Villanueva - Steelers Depot

It seems like the plan is what most of us thought it wouldn't be which is to let Leno play out this next year and then fix LT. They could still draft a T early and let him start at RT for a year and then switch over or the plan is to draft one early and then cut Leno. Leno isn't as bad as he's made out to be by many on here but he's definitely not as good as he was before he signed his contract. One good thing about Leno is the guy stays healthy which can't be said for many o-linemen.

I'm not sure what it costs us to cut Leno or how much cap we could save and if it's enough to make it worth it. Maybe if we ended up getting one of R.Wilson or D.Watson things would be different then they are knowing we have Dalton starting.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It seems like the plan is what most of us thought it wouldn't be which is to let Leno play out this next year and then fix LT. They could still draft a T early and let him start at RT for a year and then switch over or the plan is to draft one early and then cut Leno. Leno isn't as bad as he's made out to be by many on here but he's definitely not as good as he was before he signed his contract. One good thing about Leno is the guy stays healthy which can't be said for many o-linemen.

I'm not sure what it costs us to cut Leno or how much cap we could save and if it's enough to make it worth it. Maybe if we ended up getting one of R.Wilson or D.Watson things would be different then they are knowing we have Dalton starting.
For what it's worth, PFF give both Leno and Villanueva the same grade for 2020: 74.6.

Villanueva 33, Leno 29.

PFF has always overgraded Leno in my opinion. I've seen Leno on the ground way too much. Leno only has 1 more year. If I could swap them for the same price, I'd do it. Villanueva has started all 16 games the last 5 years.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
For what it's worth, PFF give both Leno and Villanueva the same grade for 2020: 74.6.

Villanueva 33, Leno 29.

PFF has always overgraded Leno in my opinion. I've seen Leno on the ground way too much. Leno only has 1 more year. If I could swap them for the same price, I'd do it. Villanueva has started all 16 games the last 5 years.

Oh yeah if we could do a swap at the same price that's a easy yes for me. Leno looked absolutely horrible on multiple plays last year especially with like you said with how much he would just go down to the ground for no apparent reason, and has real issue with speed rushers but he isn't the worst LT in the league, real close to it but not the worst.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Oh yeah if we could do a swap at the same price that's a easy yes for me. Leno looked absolutely horrible on multiple plays last year especially with like you said with how much he would just go down to the ground for no apparent reason, and has real issue with speed rushers but he isn't the worst LT in the league, real close to it but not the worst.
Looking at spotrac, Leno has $5mil in dead cap for 2021. I think that means Bears would eat that if they cut him.

Leno to earn $9 mil in 2021. So Bears would save $4 mil in cutting him.

Villanueva would have to sign for $4 mil to break even. So that's not happening. Cause Bears have no extra $.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
No other team in the NFL will head into training camp with a worse starting left tackle than Charles Leno Jr. Maybe injury will create that situation, but I would rather take a chance on most back-ups than other year of Speedbump Charlie creating nightmares for the offense every play. Offensive lines got away with holding too much in 2020, it'll revert a little in 2021 and with that Charles Leno Jr. will resume his role as a drive-killer both with his abysmal play and his twice-a-game holding calls that he draws.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I live in Pittsburgh, and Steelers fans don't want him back. Apparently he put his house up for sale, but the Steelers told him to hold off as they want to bring him back, but don't really have the money he wants. I also don't think he's better than Leno right now. Similar level player, so not interested.