What's up With Lester?

garapp

Liked Posts:
The last 3 outings it looks like the rest of baseball have figured him out big time.What is he doing wrong?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The last 3 outings it looks like the rest of baseball have figured him out big time.What is he doing wrong?
He 34, stuff isnt working for him in the 2nd half..
Possible that his elbow injury acting up on him some..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
His velocity is down on his straight stuff. Almost 2 mph down since 2016. His secondary stuff is still good. He needs to tweak his approach. The heat isnt there anymore. He also isnt finishing batters and because his velocity is down. He is trying to get cute by painting the corners and he is walking guys.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His velocity is down on his straight stuff. Almost 2 mph down since 2016. His secondary stuff is still good. He needs to tweak his approach. The heat isnt there anymore. He also isnt finishing batters and because his velocity is down. He is trying to get cute by painting the corners and he is walking guys.

That's not a bad assessment. When did you start watching games again?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not the first to mention this but Lester should probably be given his next start off for a little extra rest.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The question really is Lester done. Last 7 starts 8.65 era and a WHIP of just under 2. It's a question that has to be answered in the next 18 days IMO otherwise the Cubs are at least one starter short in the playoffs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The question really is Lester done. Last 7 starts 8.65 era and a WHIP of just under 2. It's a question that has to be answered in the next 18 days IMO otherwise the Cubs are at least one starter short in the playoffs.
Cubs only hope is that when/if Darvish returns, he healthy and pitches a whole lot better then before injury..

Hamels can continue to pitch the way he has since coming over

At least 1 of Lester Quintana or Hendricks start pitching the way their capable of..

They need to get at least 3 starters rolling at the same time ...

Have no idea why they chose to pull their hottest pitcher in Montgomery out of rotation now, they need to get him back in there with Hamels and have at least 2 guys rolling

I said the other day, my choice would of been skipping Lester a start or two

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Montgomery was starting to slow down. He's not a starter for the long term IMO.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"Quite frankly, it's hard to pinpoint [what's wrong], because he feels so good," Maddon said of Lester, who is 0-3 with a 10.32 ERA in five starts since the All-Star break. "His velocity is actually up. We talked about some things, maybe just in his approach, the mix of what he's been doing compared to what he had been doing. There are some indicators that might indicate if we change things back, you might see better results.

"Physically, he's great," Maddon said of the left-hander, who was 12-2 with a 2.58 ERA in the first half. "His stuff is still first rate. More than anything, it's maybe his approach has changed a little bit and we want to get him back to where he had been. He came in and talked to me after that game [against the Nationals] and said, 'I felt great.' I love that he did not make an excuse -- 'I felt great, I need to find some answers here because I don't understand it, because I feel good,' which I love to hear."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like a location/sequence more than mechanical. Might be tipping

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Lester and Severino on that same shit since the break.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Montgomery was starting to slow down. He's not a starter for the long term IMO.
Though i dont totally disagree he may not be a SP for the long term, he was far from slowing down now..

Last 4 starts before being pulled
6 IP 1 ER
5 IP 5 ER
5.1 IP 1 ER
6 IP 0 ER

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Though i dont totally disagree he may not be a SP for the long term, he was far from slowing down now..

Last 4 starts before being pulled
6 IP 1 ER
5 IP 5 ER
5.1 IP 1 ER
6 IP 0 ER

Could also be a jinx by the baseball gods for snubbing their holy all star event.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Could also be a jinx by the baseball gods for snubbing their holy all star event.
Was Montgomery invited to an allstar event?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the Score this morning Mully and Han er Haugh were talking about Lester, saying Cubs/Hickey had found something with Lester, but wouldn't elaborate on what exactly it was, but did say it was not an injury or fatigue.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Well, he seems to be Lester tonight so far, but I can only read the box score.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wonder what he figured out. And why is he not fixing Q also.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I will hold out judgement for the next start. When Lester gets the call on the pitches a ball wide off the plate, he is dominant. When he gets pinched on those balls actually being called balls, he struggles.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I have to think it was his release point. One of his biggest strengths as a SP was that he had the most consistent release point in all of baseball.