Whelp. The Bears are who we thought they were.. (FTO.... and FTP)

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The preseaon and the monsoon game gave us some nice false hope, but against a team with a veteran HoF QB and a good running game, we got to see what we all mostly expected to see...The Bears in year 1 of a total rebuild.

My thoughts -

* The O-Line had solid run blocking for most of the night, but even with that, its obvious on the Justin Fields sacks in pass pro that Mustipher and Borom are just flat overmatched. The thing is - the coaching staff and the GM know this too. Its why Patrick is rotating with Jenkins (he will take over for Mustipher when ready) and why they picked up Alex Leatherwood, who I am going to guess they will slide in as an improvement to Borom as soon as they get him ready (and he's over his Mono). Doesn't mean either of these guys are the long term solution, but I believe the state of the Wide Recievers and the O-Line have more to do with the play calling than any confidence or lack thereof in Fields overall.

* Speaking of Fields, really rough game for him, especially in the first half and at the end of the game. He was trying to do too much instead of letting the game come to him, and it was a regression day for him. But there was a slight bright spot. He did, when given time, deliver a quick timing strike over the middle in the second half that shows he can still learn. Still, as much as there are some here who want to pile on Fields as a bust right now, its still way too early, and they just played a Green Bay team who has a Playoff-ready defense and who knows Getsy's system really well overall. The smart play is for people to treat this like Fields' rookie year. Shit, I never thought Tua would amount to anything and apparently he had himself a day with the Dolphins - developing Fields is going to take more patience than a lot of you have. Try to have it anyway.

* The WRs we have right now are better blockers than WRs. I think this was by design. The GM and staff know they are going to try to win while being severely undermanned compared to other teams. So they are trying to win games on the ground. Which made the reason to abandon the run and some of the shotgun run plays very baffling. Hoping the coaches learn from that.

* Speaking of undermanned, are we glad we didn't pay Roquan Smith yet? In this defense, the Linebackers are the position group primarily in charge of stopping the run, and they have a horrible, horrible night of missed tackle after missed tackle and bad angle after bad angle. Smith and the Colds free agent, Muhammad, were getting run on all night long and didn't even slow the Green Bay running backs down to give the secondary a chance to swarm to the ball carrier. If you want to take away one potential positive from all the negative? I remember when Lovie installed the cover 2 in 2004, and in spots the defense looked just as awful as this for stretches with pro bowl and hall of fame players at the positions. This was 100% because the players were not trusting the guy next to them to mind their gap, and instead came over to "help", which opened up the field and made the defense fall apart. Too early to tell, but lets hope that's all the problem is here, and it will be fixed by the last 4 games of the season.

* Kyler Gordon - welcome to the league rookiee. He showed some good traits but also got his ass torched and was out of position a LOT. Jaylon Johnson he is not, that's for sure. But that said, think when all is said and done, Gordon will be permanently moved to nickel after this season. I think he can thrive and grow there - but I just don't see him as a full time outside corner like Johnson is.

*Conversely, Brisker looks like the real deal. Its hard to call a 2nd round pick "a steal", but he keeps playing like he should have been selected with one of the first 10 picks in the draft. Good on Poles for that one.

Honestly, that's all I can really say with confidence right now. Anything else would just be emotion from being pissed at losing to the Packers again. Trying to look at things objectively, and I really think by this time next year, half of the players on our team will be playing for someone else or out of the league.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems pretty evident that the "plan" by Ryan Foles was to use this year as essentially a throw away year. They have tons of money tied up with players no longer on the team and should have a shit ton of cap space next year to build up the team in Poles's vision. Whether that vision is good or not remains to be seen. I certainly came into the season with ultra low expectations so the win vs the 49ers was a pleasant surprise.

My main concern, however, is if there's merit to the theory that the development of a QB is predicated on their "infancy" in the NFL. There's examples of QBs being "ruined" by inept teams and coaches, such as David Carr, but ultimately it's impossible to know if they were the product of their environment or never were going to be NFL caliber QBs to begin with. So what long-lasting impact does having Fields' first year being wasted behind a lame duck, out-over-his-skis Nagy followed immediately by a way undertalented and weapons bereft offense surrounding Fields in the second season? Potentially devastating, if you subscribe to the methodology of putting a young QB into a position of success to build confidence and good professional habits. If, however, raw talent and potential at the QB position trumps skill position play and offensive line woes and flawed coaching, then hopefully we'll have a QB of the future. I guess we can only wait and see.

I would rather, if they really are just tossing away this season to build the team in a new direction, to let Justin Fields get his reps with passing plays as much as possible. Even if we get blown out, let him sling it and work on progressing. Because I'm a firm believer that if you don't have a top-tier (read top 10) QB in this day and age in the NFL, you're not going to be consistently competing for a superbowl or going deep into the playoffs. It's the most important position in the NFL - so place all your emphasis on getting it right, developing the QB you have, assessing their growth, and building around them.

mecha

Liked Posts:
It seems pretty evident that the "plan" by Ryan Foles was to use this year as essentially a throw away year. They have tons of money tied up with players no longer on the team and should have a shit ton of cap space next year to build up the team in Poles's vision. Whether that vision is good or not remains to be seen. I certainly came into the season with ultra low expectations so the win vs the 49ers was a pleasant surprise.

My main concern, however, is if there's merit to the theory that the development of a QB is predicated on their "infancy" in the NFL. There's examples of QBs being "ruined" by inept teams and coaches, such as David Carr, but ultimately it's impossible to know if they were the product of their environment or never were going to be NFL caliber QBs to begin with. So what long-lasting impact does having Fields' first year being wasted behind a lame duck, out-over-his-skis Nagy followed immediately by a way undertalented and weapons bereft offense surrounding Fields in the second season? Potentially devastating, if you subscribe to the methodology of putting a young QB into a position of success to build confidence and good professional habits. If, however, raw talent and potential at the QB position trumps skill position play and offensive line woes and flawed coaching, then hopefully we'll have a QB of the future. I guess we can only wait and see.

I would rather, if they really are just tossing away this season to build the team in a new direction, to let Justin Fields get his reps with passing plays as much as possible. Even if we get blown out, let him sling it and work on progressing. Because I'm a firm believer that if you don't have a top-tier (read top 10) QB in this day and age in the NFL, you're not going to be consistently competing for a superbowl or going deep into the playoffs. It's the most important position in the NFL - so place all your emphasis on getting it right, developing the QB you have, assessing their growth, and building around them.
this is what I'm saying.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The roster isn't good enough. But for what the current payroll is this is expected. During the broadcast they mentioned 100 million dollars difference between the 2 rosters as the packers are in win now mode.

Our team is in learning and building mode with hopes of what can be done with the huge amount under the cap next year.

No one can say this team has many weapons on the outside offensively. Clearly Mooney wouldn't be a #1 on many other teams.

Even Allen Robinson is struggling right now in LA.

It's going to take more roster additions plus experience for the younger players. Gordon had a rough night, but he'll learn from it.

I have no idea about offense as it doesn't seem the coaches have a clue either. 2 backs averaged 8.1 and 9.5 ypc, yet there was only a disjointed effort to keep running the ball.

And until stopping the run gets better this team will not do much of anything.

Remember the 9ers beat the packers in the playoffs and only threw 8 passes.
Bears are a long way from being able to do this, but hopefully, they'll be able to pass and play defense better in the future.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:

People and writers keep bringing up the fact that the bears will have a ton of money to build up the team.

Name a stud offensive player that will be a free agent next year??

They’ll be buying defensive players and building the team ass backwards again!

People keep busting mustiphers balls, Patrick won’t be much better, mustipher has played pretty damn good!

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
7 of 9 for 70 (into the 3rd QTR) yards isn't his fault.

“Luke (Getsy) said before the game that we were going to run it down their throats,” Fields said after the game. “…My job is to run the play that’s given to me the best that I can.”

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I think the reason they don't do this is because they don't believe 100% in the line and the receivers. There's a reason why through 2 games so far the receivers seem to be better run blockers than actual receivers.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People and writers keep bringing up the fact that the bears will have a ton of money to build up the team.

Name a stud offensive player that will be a free agent next year??

They’ll be buying defensive players and building the team ass backwards again!

People keep busting mustiphers balls, Patrick won’t be much better, mustipher has played pretty damn good!

Mustipher got blown up in the first half on a few plays in pass pro. Patrick looked solid at guard out there. He's going to replace Mustipher when his hand is 100% healthy.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Did anyone realistically think we were going to win?
I was hoping for better results, but here is how I see it (all optimistic).

Our running game showed life against a very good defense.
Our Defense held the Packers to 3 points in the second half, after giving up 24 in the first half.
We led the game after the first drive, and made a late drive to make it closer.
We sacked Rogers 3 times.
We have more games left this season against more beatable opponents, specifically 3 of the next 4.
We are 1-1 after playing two very good teams.

Maybe I have too optimistic of a look, but I am hoping for improvement too.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Overreaction for a bad game all around, by the offense, defense and the coaching staff. The Bears DL was bad last night.

The Bears have 2 winnable games coming up and should split those games,

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
DaBearsBlog's thoughts* + you have massive mammaries + You dont watch football + Im gonna get banned from this thread by my choosing
Go the fuck away you asshat. You were one of the ones on here crowning everyone from the GM to the coaches to the players after winning a game in a monsoon.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Our Defense held the Packers to 3 points in the second half, after giving up 24 in the first half.
Giving up 4 of 5 drives in the first half for points, 3 of them touchdowns, is a horrible defensive first half and it lost the games for the Bears. The offense then went 3 and out 4 times in a row after the first score.

GB throttled down in the 2nd half out of respect for Getsy. It is just one game but that was a dominating disaster.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Go the fuck away you asshat. You were one of the ones on here crowning everyone from the GM to the coaches to the players after winning a game in a monsoon.
Literally did none of that. I would ask you for a source but you never provide one because all you do is make shit up.

Seems like someone is a little puffy chested after the new regime lost their first game. Pace is still a massive failure and im sorry you were dumb enough to plant your flag on him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Literally did none of that. I would ask you for a source but you never provide one because all you do is make shit up.

Seems like someone is a little puffy chested after the new regime lost their first game. Pace is still a massive failure and im sorry you were dumb enough to plant your flag on him.
You're the only one who even cares about Pace anymore and literally still talk about him every single day on here you fucking troll. You are a complete waste of everything to do with the Bears.

Poles is now my guy that i'm rooting for to put this fucking thing together because i'm actually a Bears fan unlike you and some others that just want to troll message boards and twitter until every reporter in Chicago Bans your dumb ass cause you troll them to.

Keep trolling douche.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You're the only one who even cares about Pace anymore and literally still talk about him every single day on here you fucking troll. You are a complete waste of everything to do with the Bears.

Poles is now my guy that i'm rooting for to put this fucking thing together because i'm actually a Bears fan unlike you and some others that just want to troll message boards and twitter until every reporter in Chicago Bans your dumb ass cause you troll them to.

Keep trolling douche.
Holy fuck this feels like it's going to be a dongbears Bears loss Monday meltdown for the ages.

CC: @BaBaBlacksheep @bamainatlanta @BEARZOMBIE @Burque @cameronkrazie86 @Chicagosports89 @Clintk55 @CRM 114 @CygnusX44 @gpphat @Grimson @Gustavus Adolphus @Hawkeye. @HeHateMe @Icculus @ijustposthere @JordanSigler @mecha @MikeDitkaPolishSausage @MDB111™ @sevvy @tardigrade @ThatGuyRyan @VickAshley✅️verified @Wild_x_Card

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts: