Where did the $ go?

Wolfman2016

Liked Posts:
As a fan over over 60 years , I have seen the monetary changes that have occurred. I still find it hard to believe that the Ricketts family can get so poor so quickly.
The team does not seem to in on ANYONE for next year. I see one year deals going out to players that could at least help fill the outfield. Are we going to play with maybe 15 players rather than 25?
Hands being tied is understood but bound and gagged is not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As a fan over over 60 years , I have seen the monetary changes that have occurred. I still find it hard to believe that the Ricketts family can get so poor so quickly.
The team does not seem to in on ANYONE for next year. I see one year deals going out to players that could at least help fill the outfield. Are we going to play with maybe 15 players rather than 25?

It is still a business and it runs for profit.

Grimace

Liked Posts:
They need to reset, and they had a tough year last year and 2021 is unknown financially. We really don't know for sure the Cubs direction for this offseason spending-wise.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean it's not like they have a small payroll. While I get the point about spending some money you also have to consider what their goal probably is for 2021. If they were an obvious WS team then yeah you probably add some pieces but the team is likely resetting the roster and trading players with one year left. In that case adding mediocre talent is kind of just throwing money into the wind. It'd be better to target stuff like relievers who could be impact additions in july for teams to trade for

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
The ricketts Cubs were never going to be the steinbrenner Yankees.

And someone who paid attention to the last rebuild would know exactly what the Cubs are doing.

The world series window is closed and so the Cubs are trading everything they can to restock the farm system. Jed is using the same blueprint Theo used when he got here.

As far as being a Cubs fan for 60 years, how about appreciating the fact that you got to live long enough to see a world series where so many before you didn't, and that was things to the moves of the very same organization and ownership you're taking shots at now.

One could argue the world series is the hardest championship to get to, let alone win on a consistent basis. And we got to see one in our lifetime.

That alone gives me the trust to see what they do next, and I just tune out all the impatient and irresponsible media noise.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

And someone who paid attention to the last rebuild would know exactly what the Cubs are doing.

The world series window is closed and so the Cubs are trading everything they can to restock the farm system. Jed is using the same blueprint Theo used when he got here.

As far as being a Cubs fan for 60 years, how about appreciating the fact that you got to live long enough to see a world series where so many before you didn't, and that was things to the moves of the very same organization and ownership you're taking shots at now.

One could argue the world series is the hardest championship to get to, let alone win on a consistent basis. And we got to see one in our lifetime.

That alone gives me the trust to see what they do next, and I just tune out all the impatient and irresponsible media noise.

Dodgers have been to the WS 3 out of the last 4 years and were 1 game away from making it 4 straight. They've got a title and probably would have had more had teams not been cheating.

This notion that the WS is harder to win than other pro sport championships is absurd. NFL and NHL are just as hard. NBA is a joke so I'll give you that one.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:

The difference between the initial Theo rebuild and what will be the Jed rebuild is that the Cubs have much better pieces available to rebuild the farm in a much shorter time frame. The roster Theo inherited didn't have guys like Darvish, Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Hendricks, etc. These are valuable trade pieces that can speed up this second rebuild if done properly.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:

Ricketts hasn't been cheap. The fact is that they paid guys that simple didn't perform up to their contracts (other than Lester). That's more on the front office than the owner.