Where would be your Stateside/Overseas place to live ?

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The wife and I have been talking lately of moving. I retired early so I don't need to move for job relocation, but I do have young children to raise . Wife works but it's not something that would hold us down. My oldest daughter wants us to move closer to her and my grandson. My criteria would be someplace with good schools, low crime, and not tax my pensions like friggin Wisconsin does me .The states i mentioned are suppose to be more tax friendly at retirement age. I will be taking my social security at 62 when that day comes so that's another tax situation to look at .
Places we searched have been like Bend Oregon, Wyoming,Montana,Washington, Iowa , South Dakota, and the wife is pushing Fernandina Beach in the states or back to the Philippines province where she grew up. It might be a ploy. She said they have American Schools and they are good schools, plus my kids would have dual citizenship, and we could live very very nice I'm told.
It don't have to be a place you retire but where would you like to live??? Give me some ideas...

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
A Himalaya mountain top in Nepal

watch "Black Narcissus".. It's a new show on TV

blacknarcissus-panoramamonastery.jpg

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
The wife and I have been talking lately of moving. I retired early so I don't need to move for job relocation, but I do have young children to raise . Wife works but it's not something that would hold us down. My oldest daughter wants us to move closer to her and my grandson. My criteria would be someplace with good schools, low crime, and not tax my pensions like friggin Wisconsin does me .The states i mentioned are suppose to be more tax friendly at retirement age. I will be taking my social security at 62 when that day comes so that's another tax situation to look at .
Places we searched have been like Bend Oregon, Wyoming,Montana,Washington, Iowa , South Dakota, and the wife is pushing Fernandina Beach in the states or back to the Philippines province where she grew up. It might be a ploy. She said they have American Schools and they are good schools, plus my kids would have dual citizenship, and we could live very very nice I'm told.
It don't have to be a place you retire but where would you like to live??? Give me some ideas...
You and Trump, huh?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kids complicate it for sure, but I would bail for Phillipeans if I had an in like you do. That part of the world is pretty spectacular as long as you don't get Tsunamied and your dollars should still go pretty far.

However, I am also really not in love with this country anymore, so maybe I am biased.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kids complicate it for sure, but I would bail for Phillipeans if I had an in like you do. That part of the world is pretty spectacular as long as you don't get Tsunamied and your dollars should still go pretty far.

However, I am also really not in love with this country anymore, so maybe I am biased.
You know Jamais Vu, that's why you're my favorite moderator, you're so logical. Yes tsunami, build rebuild head to the hills. The province wifes from is pretty nice from what on see on you tube videos. It's definitely an option, however there are some places in the Philippines, you want to stay away from .

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've been to Bend, OR a few times. Have family that lives there. Beautiful place.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Iowa is a fine place to raise a family which seems to be a big priority for you although if you are looking for a change of pace from Wisconsin - Iowa isn't it. Your pensions won't be taxed, but it is a relatively high tax state even though people boast about how cheap it is here. There's a ton of affordable housing, but you'll pay 2.5% property tax, 6% sales tax in most counties and high income taxes (not sure what your wife does). There's not much going on here, but maybe that's what you're looking for. Plenty of good small communities with little to no crime.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I have a close friend who moved to Ghana that wants us to build a home there and live out the rest of our days. Right now the *only* reason I'm staying in Illinois, is because just west of chicago is the electronics prototyping capital of the world, even more than anywhere in Asia. So we're actually trying to get some people together to leave the country, move to a developing part of the world and not only improve our lives, but help their infastructure as well. My wife and I are fortunate to have skills that can find income anywhere on the planet without requiring any gate-keeper structure to protect our jobs.

Is a jump to Africa the answer? No idea. Above all, plant your seeds someplace where you have a support system in place. Without support, friends, family, something to help you settle in, even the best places on earth will hurt your experiences significantly.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
From when I was 12 until recently, I always wanted to live in the Pacific Northwest. I say until recently because the region has been overrun by high pay tech workers and real estate prices have exploded, so the desire to move there has lessened.

Colorado is another state that had PNW vibes in which I could experience city life and never be far from a nice mountain hike. But it's beginning to get the same problems as the PNW with exploding real estate prices.

I am no where near retirement and thus not thinking of such things at this point, plus I am locked into the house I bought, my family is all here, so I have no desire to move any time soon, or possibly ever.

Can't say where I'd moved if it were overseas, I loved Bavaria, Germany when I went there last year and could certainly see myself living there if I could totally learn the language (took 4 years in high school, but never learned to speak it fluently by any means).

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Iowa is a fine place to raise a family which seems to be a big priority for you although if you are looking for a change of pace from Wisconsin - Iowa isn't it. Your pensions won't be taxed, but it is a relatively high tax state even though people boast about how cheap it is here. There's a ton of affordable housing, but you'll pay 2.5% property tax, 6% sales tax in most counties and high income taxes (not sure what your wife does). There's not much going on here, but maybe that's what you're looking for. Plenty of good small communities with little to no crime.
O'h for sure, i like the north eastern part of Iowa, like i mentioned before Decorah and surrounding areas. Schools seem good, low crime, just a nice place to live. Wife can find work anywhere if she wants .

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a close friend who moved to Ghana that wants us to build a home there and live out the rest of our days. Right now the *only* reason I'm staying in Illinois, is because just west of chicago is the electronics prototyping capital of the world, even more than anywhere in Asia. So we're actually trying to get some people together to leave the country, move to a developing part of the world and not only improve our lives, but help their infastructure as well. My wife and I are fortunate to have skills that can find income anywhere on the planet without requiring any gate-keeper structure to protect our jobs.

Is a jump to Africa the answer? No idea. Above all, plant your seeds someplace where you have a support system in place. Without support, friends, family, something to help you settle in, even the best places on earth will hurt your experiences significantly.
Very good advice, Thank you .

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From when I was 12 until recently, I always wanted to live in the Pacific Northwest. I say until recently because the region has been overrun by high pay tech workers and real estate prices have exploded, so the desire to move there has lessened.

Colorado is another state that had PNW vibes in which I could experience city life and never be far from a nice mountain hike. But it's beginning to get the same problems as the PNW with exploding real estate prices.

I am no where near retirement and thus not thinking of such things at this point, plus I am locked into the house I bought, my family is all here, so I have no desire to move any time soon, or possibly ever.

Can't say where I'd moved if it were overseas, I loved Bavaria, Germany when I went there last year and could certainly see myself living there if I could totally learn the language (took 4 years in high school, but never learned to speak it fluently by any means).
Are you talking like the Seattle area?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have a couple of quarter sections in Northern Alberta Peace River area Lou. You'd have to build your own home though, and your kids would have to bus to Grande Prairie in -45 C for an hour for school in the winter. But low taxes, no provincial sales tax, and a good mix of rednecks and yobbos.

But, Canada so ...