Where would be your Stateside/Overseas place to live ?

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't have the kids to consider, so it opens up options. I'm retiring in 10 years, my wife in 12. Sick of winters. We're going to explore some places out west; maybe Vegas area....also have both lived in Illinois our whole lives...besides milder winters, it's very appealing to be driving distance from California, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado for travelling and exploring. My parents are still here, and I won't leave them, so that will factor into what we do after retirement.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will probably end up staying in Michigan but if I was to move I like Arizona allot

If money was not an issue...Sedona is an amazing place.

It's just also amazingly expensive.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If money was not an issue...Sedona is an amazing place.

It's just also amazingly expensive.

Stay up the road in Flagstaff. It is still expensive mind you, but not as bad as Sedona, and you can go down there any time you want for an easy day trip. There is a great little back road that takes you straight there from Flagstaff that is fun to drive, great views, and awesome mountain air.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Stay up the road in Flagstaff. It is still expensive mind you, but not as bad as Sedona, and you can go down there any time you want for an easy day trip. There is a great little back road that takes you straight there from Flagstaff that is fun to drive, great views, and awesome mountain air.
I've made that drive. It was awesome. My wife and I really enjoyed our time in Sedona and Flagstaff, I actually preferred Flagstaff and would recommend it. Nice to be that close to Sedona for a completely different hiking/mtn biking experience too. Unique area Northern Arizona is, we loved it.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I've made that drive. It was awesome. My wife and I really enjoyed our time in Sedona and Flagstaff, I actually preferred Flagstaff and would recommend it. Nice to be that close to Sedona for a completely different hiking/mtn biking experience too. Unique area Northern Arizona is, we loved it.

It is awesome in Flagstaff. I would love to live there someday.

Cold snowy winters and cool/warm dry summers. It is big enough to get the music acts through, and close to phoenix if you need some big city stuff.

The only drawback is probably the airport. They have a couple of non stops to Denver and Dallas, but other than that you are making connecting flights for everywhere else.

Also, you get a rush of visitors from Phoenix in the summers when it is stupid hot down there.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My wife and I talk about Colorado as an option. We have family & friends in a couple of places there. Also Oregon wine country. One of the California wine areas would be nice but, unfortunately, they are in California. California is great to visit but I don’t think I would want to live there. Prices, taxes, fucked up govt.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The wife and I have been talking lately of moving. I retired early so I don't need to move for job relocation, but I do have young children to raise . Wife works but it's not something that would hold us down. My oldest daughter wants us to move closer to her and my grandson. My criteria would be someplace with good schools, low crime, and not tax my pensions like friggin Wisconsin does me .The states i mentioned are suppose to be more tax friendly at retirement age. I will be taking my social security at 62 when that day comes so that's another tax situation to look at .
Places we searched have been like Bend Oregon, Wyoming,Montana,Washington, Iowa , South Dakota, and the wife is pushing Fernandina Beach in the states or back to the Philippines province where she grew up. It might be a ploy. She said they have American Schools and they are good schools, plus my kids would have dual citizenship, and we could live very very nice I'm told.
It don't have to be a place you retire but where would you like to live??? Give me some ideas...
Wife and I have already started the planning for retiring to Ireland in about 15-20 years when she can retire from teaching.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Once we get these kids through school I'm eyeing some acreage with a small old ass farmhouse in the Traverse City area. Finish out my retirement growing pot, hunting, fishing and boating.
we been looking at michigan too boiiiiii

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One of the companies I do a lot of work with is in Hood River. I'd love to spend half the year there, and the other half (winter) in Florida. I could totally do it, but it would be disruptive on the kid end of things. Maybe when my daughter has graduated, but that's like 5 years away. Who knows what I'll be up to by then.
Stopped in Hood River for lunch when I was in Oregon. We went to a brewery that was on a hill that overlooked the river valley. Great views (was good beer as I recall too). Other than a walk down the main drag, didn't do anything else in Hood River though. We were doing the large loop drive around Mt Hood stopping for several short hikes and then heading along the Columbia to visit all the scenic waterfalls along the way back into Portland.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
All depends on what you’re into. If you’re an outdoors type of person, I’d recommend eastern washington. Beautiful part of the country with mountains, streams, lakes, etc. no income taxes. And you’re really close to Idaho, Montana, and Canada if you want to get really out in the woods.

overseas, I loved Vietnam. Your $$ lasts forever there, and there’s some beaches and jungles to explore. Great food and the people are really nice.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wife and I have already started the planning for retiring to Ireland in about 15-20 years when she can retire from teaching.
I want to go see Ireland, it's on the bucket list. Just to go into old pub there i think would be epic. I have a friend i lost touch of there, say's it's pretty hi-tech.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
My wife and I talk about Colorado as an option. We have family & friends in a couple of places there. Also Oregon wine country. One of the California wine areas would be nice but, unfortunately, they are in California. California is great to visit but I don’t think I would want to live there. Prices, taxes, fucked up govt.

Not to mention that 90% or literally halve the state burns to the ground every year.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I were going back to Colorado I would probably stay away from Denver metro and go more for like Durango, Ft Collins, or if I felt like really getting away Grand Lake.
Good call. Steamboat Lake state park is magical. Denver is great on the 'skirts and in the burbs, but that's just. So, I've been meaning to ask you something.

Hawkbear gave me a rundown on a few family friendly lakes for camping in Iowa. Would you reccomend any good spots in NM? Besides some Rugby tourneys in ABQ and the balloon festival once as a kid, I haven't spent any time there. Looking for something with great fishing, lakeside camping spots and/or VRBO's. Any reccomendations would be kiler and much appreciated.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Good call. Steamboat Lake state park is magical. Denver is great on the 'skirts and in the burbs, but that's just. So, I've been meaning to ask you something.

Hawkbear gave me a rundown on a few family friendly lakes for camping in Iowa. Would you reccomend any good spots in NM? Besides some Rugby tourneys in ABQ and the balloon festival once as a kid, I haven't spent any time there. Looking for something with great fishing, lakeside camping spots and/or VRBO's. Any reccomendations would be kiler and much appreciated.

Knowing that you are coming from Denver there are two places that I would recommend that are up that direction.

1. Heron Lake - It has camping spots lakeside, They also have cabins up there that you can rent. The lake is a no wake lake so it is pretty peaceful for fishing from the shore. It is right next to El Vado lake which has more of the recreational water skiing etc. They are about 5 -10 minutes apart so If you wanted a little of both you could have that. Have rented pontoon boats on both lakes and both were good days. About 5.5 hours from Denver.

2. Eagle Nest - I haven't been there personally, but it is one of those spots that I have heard people talking about over the years as a fun spot to go. A quick internet search and I was able to see that they have lakeside spots, and even spots with hookups. It is a 15 minute or so drive from Angel Fire where there are summer things to do (golfing, downhill dirt biking on the ski hill, etc) and 45 minutes from Taos if you wanted to spend a day in a cool little hippy northern New Mexico artist town. About 4.5 hours from Denver.

• Love
Reactions: DC

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Knowing that you are coming from Denver there are two places that I would recommend that are up that direction.

1. Heron Lake - It has camping spots lakeside, They also have cabins up there that you can rent. The lake is a no wake lake so it is pretty peaceful for fishing from the shore. It is right next to El Vado lake which has more of the recreational water skiing etc. They are about 5 -10 minutes apart so If you wanted a little of both you could have that. Have rented pontoon boats on both lakes and both were good days. About 5.5 hours from Denver.

2. Eagle Nest - I haven't been there personally, but it is one of those spots that I have heard people talking about over the years as a fun spot to go. A quick internet search and I was able to see that they have lakeside spots, and even spots with hookups. It is a 15 minute or so drive from Angel Fire where there are summer things to do (golfing, downhill dirt biking on the ski hill, etc) and 45 minutes from Taos if you wanted to spend a day in a cool little hippy northern New Mexico artist town. About 4.5 hours from Denver.
kickass.jpg

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want to go see Ireland, it's on the bucket list. Just to go into old pub there i think would be epic. I have a friend i lost touch of there, say's it's pretty hi-tech.
We've been quite a bit. If you need recs, let me know. West coast is the best

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Once we get these kids through school I'm eyeing some acreage with a small old ass farmhouse in the Traverse City area. Finish out my retirement growing pot, hunting, fishing and boating.
I found 10 acres near Pentwater, right on a trout stream, wooded and pretty much what I go to Michigan for right now. Camping, cooking over open flame, beach, fishing, and hiking. I love Michigan, it's a close 4-5 hour drive from Chicago and I get away from the crazy ass people in the west burbs.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
We are still considering it but only if we have somewhere to go (South) for the winter.
I've even considered the snow bird thing summers in the mountains and winters in ABQ...

It gets cold here in the winter, but almost no snow and by cold I mean 20's - 30's at night and 40's - 50's during the day.