Which Bears Move "Broke" You?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Cedric Benson as the 4th overall selection in 2005 was a hard one to take. I just knew he was a bust and it was the one of the last drafts where RB were considered early values. 8 of the 11 players drafted after him made a probowl at least once. It was also the Aaron Rodgers draft, and we probably would never have taken him considering it was Grossman on his 3rd year, but a good player in 2005 could have made a difference in that 2006 SB season.

Could you have imagined Demarcus Ware beasting with Urlacher and Lance Briggs for a few years?

People talk about Mitch. That isn't a bust. Benson didn't even have a 700 yard season for the Bears and only lasted 3 seasons. God rest his soul though. RIP regardless of what he did on the field.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Broke me? I'm not broken, nothing the Bears have done has altered my desire for the Bears to win it all, again. Have I been frustrated at times, sure. Broken though? No. The day I announce I'm leaving Bear Fandom and joining the cheese head fandom, you'll know I'm broken. Barring that. Have a great day.
leaving Bear Fandom and joining the cheese head fandom

Why rub it in like that? Why not just quit rooting for any NFL team? the day I break is the day i have a heart attack or a fcking aneurysm.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I actually used the F-bomb when they pick Mitch, because I thought that it HAD to be Watson......

I wanted Cutler to figure it out so bad, but coming to the realization that he was not going to was a very close second

Third was throwing the Ball in a Monsoon when we were dominating the Colts in the run game during the SB....
You aren't the only one. I "knew" it was Watson. How could it not be I thought. I went from elation to dejection in a few minutes.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Trading a 1st rounder for Rick fucking Mirer
Trading a 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams
Re-signing that bum Jay Cutler for $54 million dollars guaranteed for three years
Signing the Giraffe as a "bridge starter" QB
Trading up for Trubisky

These days, it's very difficult to give a shit about them from a personal standpoint until the McCaskeys no longer own the franchise.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The moment I started viewing the bears as entertainment rather than a team I was pulling for was the culmination of the QB shitshow in 08.
Waiting through Matthews, Mirer, McNown, Miller, Stewart, Hutchinson, Grossman and orton....

.... and they decide to serve up another helping of Grossman and Orton in 08 despite having every reason and full ability to move on.

That right there just killed any interest for that season and nothing has compelled me to come back as a fan.

Biscuit

Liked Posts:
The Bears have a history of excessive trading of early draft picks to find a good QB, or whatever. They also have a history of passing on talented QBs in the draft, like

Favre
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson
Carr
Prescott
Mahomes
Watson

So when they traded up to secure Mitch, it broke my brane, and I lost some interest. I’ve been sorta following them, at a distance, the last few years. Now, with the prospect of a new + improved QB in the near future, I’ll be watching more closely.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have a history of excessive trading of early draft picks to find a good QB, or whatever. They also have a history of passing on talented QBs in the draft, like

Favre
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson
Carr
Prescott
Mahomes
Watson

So when they traded up to secure Mitch, it broke my brane, and I lost some interest. I’ve been sorta following them, at a distance, the last few years. Now, with the prospect of a new + improved QB in the near future, I’ll be watching more closely.
Dalton?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drew Brees is a topic with his apparent retirement. in case you didn't notice he had multiple 5000+ yard/40+ TD seasons, he didn't make it to the Super Bowl in any of them. you can cite multiple top flight quarterback talents, they didn't win Super Bowls either. Tom Brady has pulled down the most titles of anyone, he was never flashy in the stats columns, he just played disciplined and really all you need to do at the position is just not lose games.

I'm not saying you need to run the ball 35 times a game or go 4000% meatball on defense, I'm just saying there's more positions than just that one that gets you there and wins you the Lombardi trophy. Patrick Mahomes was anointed as the greatest ever (you can see it in multiple threads here over the years) and he literally lucked into the 49ers running out of steam to win it all. and become celebrated with the most expensive contract ever.

this is entirely my point why it's completely batshit and total nonsense to trade 12 picks to get another team's quarterback.

uh

so

you wouldn't want Mahomes cause his contract?

what does that have to do with trading 12 picks?

Liked Posts:
I was pretty upset when we re-signed Cutler, but that's nothing compared to what happened in the 2017 draft with Mitch. This is gonna be one of (if not the biggest) what-if's in bears history.

We finally had an real opportunity to literally pick who we wanted and picked the worst choice by far out of the 3.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I know is this is not a FO move but for me it probably was the John Fox challenge that resulted in a Bears turnover instead of it being first and goal from the 1 yard line. I remember literally screaming at the TV (not something I do often) that the challenge was going to result in a touchback.

But like many fans, whatever remaining small amount of faith still left in this organization after the Trestman and Fox eras went out the window when they unnecessarily traded up for Mitchell Trubisky and it came out later they didn't bother to have an official interview with DeShaun Watson (having a conversation at Watson's pro day that may or may not have happened is FAR from the appropriate amount of due diligence necessary for a decision of that importance).

I think the FO had a big opportunity to win back some confidence from the fan base and media by moving on from Pace and Nagy this offseason but they blew that one as well. If the Bears don't end up with a veteran or rookie that creates real excitement and optimism this offseason the resulting PR damage might reach a level they have never seen.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a Dalton fan, but I could stand him for one year as a bridge QB. Would prefer to have FitzMagic, to help tutor whatever QB is selected at #20.

who says the Bears will take a QB at 20...what if they roll with Foles and Dalton

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Mirer trade. Signing Cutler to a huge contract. Drafting Chris Williams. Drafting Trubisky instead of Watson. Trestman as a head coach. Wannstaedt as a head coach. Emery as a GM. There's so many....

I am currently bracing myself for 'Bear sign Trubisky for 3 years, 45 million' to be the latest heart break. I will hate this team for years if they re-sign Mitch.

cd35

Liked Posts:
It's a never-ending circus of stupidity but a few that made me not care for awhile:

Letting Jeff Graham go after '95 bc they were too dumb to see he was the lynchpin of the offense
Trading a 1st for Mirer
Drafting Benson and then getting rid of Jones
Calling one of the most scared and cowardly defensive game plans in the SB
Pretending Hester could be a #1 WR and halting his return production for a couple of years bc of it
Trading for Cutler thinking he was a polished QB and having no line of receivers for awhile for him
Getting rid of Olsen bc Martz is an idiot
Trestman over Arians. Jesus...
Trading up for Trubs who only played one year at NC

I'm sure the hits will keep on coming

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Carimi was bad. The McClellin pick was brutal.

Both were made worse by the fact that meathead fans loved those picks. I remember watching McClellin for Boise State and thinking, “Man, he’s really not **doing** anything.”

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The moment I started viewing the bears as entertainment rather than a team I was pulling for was the culmination of the QB shitshow in 08.
Waiting through Matthews, Mirer, McNown, Miller, Stewart, Hutchinson, Grossman and orton....

.... and they decide to serve up another helping of Grossman and Orton in 08 despite having every reason and full ability to move on.

That right there just killed any interest for that season and nothing has compelled me to come back as a fan.

Bears fans are going to be begging for Grossman/Orton after the coming camp battle between Foles and Andy Dalton.