Which cornerbacks are getting cut?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I've been trying to figure this out since the draft. Help me out here. Of note, we have:
  1. Kyle Fuller
  2. Jaylon Johnson
  3. Buster Skrine
  4. Duke Shelley
  5. Kevin Tolliver
  6. Sherrick McManis
  7. Artie Burns
  8. Tre Roberson
  9. Kindle Vildor
We know Fuller, Johnson and Skrine aren't going anywhere. McManis is a special teams ace. That leaves room for 2 more out of Shelley/Vildor/Roberson/Tolliver/Burns. What's this picture shake out as?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I've been trying to figure this out since the draft. Help me out here. Of note, we have:
  1. Kyle Fuller
  2. Jaylon Johnson
  3. Buster Skrine
  4. Duke Shelley
  5. Kevin Tolliver
  6. Sherrick McManis
  7. Artie Burns
  8. Tre Roberson
  9. Kindle Vildor
We know Fuller, Johnson and Skrine aren't going anywhere. McManis is a special teams ace. That leaves room for 2 more out of Shelley/Vildor/Roberson/Tolliver/Burns. What's this picture shake out as?
McManis was listed as a safety last year I believe. I think they all make it except one of Roberson and Burns most likely (not counting McManis). Maybe Shelley or Vildor to the PS or IR.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
McManis was listed as a safety last year I believe. I think they all make it except one of Roberson and Burns most likely (not counting McManis). Maybe Shelley or Vildor to the PS or IR.

You keep throwing players on our PS that would get poached from us with a quickness. Last time it was D.Mooney and now Shelley and Vildor.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
  1. Kyle Fuller
  2. Jaylon Johnson
  3. Buster Skrine
  4. Duke Shelley
  5. Kevin Tolliver
  6. Sherrick McManis
  7. Artie Burns
  8. Tre Roberson
  9. Kindle Vildor

Don't forget Stephen Denmark.

I would say, Denmark to practice squad, Shelley-McManiss are gone, Vildor and Tolliver on the squad. I dunno anything about Roberson or Burns...but one or both may make it.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
  1. Kyle Fuller
  2. Jaylon Johnson
  3. Buster Skrine
  4. Duke Shelley
  5. Kevin Tolliver
  6. Sherrick McManis
  7. Artie Burns
  8. Tre Roberson
  9. Kindle Vildor

You left out Stephen Denmark and Xavier McDonald.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You keep throwing players on our PS that would get poached from us with a quickness. Last time it was D.Mooney and now Shelley and Vildor.

All fifth rounders don't get poached off a practice squad. I can think of Jordan Morgan off the top of my head. At the same time, very few fifth rounders contribute right away.

Shelley was a 6th rounder, not a 5th rounder.

Not all the CBs are going to make the roster, so some are either going to be cut or hidden. So if you have a better option, feel free to put it forward.

greg23

Liked Posts:
in order of most likely and in 3 groups....could see 6/7 being kept with 2/3 on PS

denmark ps
shelly ps

GAP

roberson (not sure if he's ps eligible)
burns
mcmanus (has safety versatility)
tolliver (not sure if ps eligible)

GAP

skrine (unless a few shine as nickle his salary could be dumped)
vildor (trade up, 5th round....on roster or shady IR)
johnson (possible starter)
fuller (starter)

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mcmanus is gone i think. He was a healthy scratch often last year

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mcmanus is gone i think. He was a healthy scratch often last year

I had to look it up.

He just didn't play defense. He got put on IR on nov 30th last season, before that he played a decent amount of ST. He got scratched from a couple, yea.

Not sure who you're thinking of but it wasnt him. He gets scratched every so often but plays most games.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It might be mcmanus tho. He's old and busted and you can find corners to play ST's.

All it takes is one of the scrubs to show promise on ST and he's a goner.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Bears keep
Cornerbacks
Fuller
Johnson
Tolliver
Shelley
Skrine
Robertson or burns
Vildor

Safeties
Gipson
Jackson
Bush
Denmark
McManis or Carson

OLBs
Gipson
Mack
Quinn

DLine
Nichols
Rrh can double as OLB
Goldman
Hicks
Urban
Anderson or Mack.
Smith
Trevathan
Iggy
Woods

greg23

Liked Posts:
Bears keep
Cornerbacks
Fuller
Johnson
Tolliver
Shelley
Skrine
Robertson or burns
Vildor

Safeties
Gipson
Jackson
Bush
Denmark
McManis or Carson

OLBs
Gipson
Mack
Quinn

DLine
Nichols
Rrh can double as OLB
Goldman
Hicks
Urban
Anderson or Mack.
Smith
Trevathan
Iggy
Woods

few items:

not sure if they're in order but think shelly is alot lower on the totem pole than 4th db and on the bubble
Lucas has as good a shot or better than denmark/mcmanus/carson....esp due to special teams (in fact he may be the guy to finally take mcmanus off the roster)
3 OLB...no chance
RRH does not double as an OLB
Where' Mingo?
Where's Jenkins? think he has as much a shot as urban/anderson (but the 5th and 6th dl spot is not ideal with these 3...good news is they dont play much as the top 4 see most of the action)

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You left out Stephen Denmark and Xavier McDonald.
To be fair, i did say "of note." Those guys don't stand a chance at making the active roster.

The Vildor pick intrigues me. As far as i remember, the coaching staff like Duke Shelley a lot who's really tailor made to be a nickel. Obviously Skrine is the starter and played well there last year. So then we take Vildor who's another nickel corner type guy. Has the staff soured on Shelley or maybe want to cut Skrine and let one of those guys step in?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
All fifth rounders don't get poached off a practice squad. I can think of Jordan Morgan off the top of my head. At the same time, very few fifth rounders contribute right away.

Shelley was a 6th rounder, not a 5th rounder.

Not all the CBs are going to make the roster, so some are either going to be cut or hidden. So if you have a better option, feel free to put it forward.

I never said anything about 5th rounders, you did, but i'd put money down that if Shelley or Vildor get put on our PS that both would get picked up by other teams and add D.Mooney to that list as well. Maybe they didn't like what little they saw from Shelley in practice and in the very little game time he got which could be part of why they drafted Vildor who also projects to be a NB. I know Skrine can be cut after this year cause there won't be any guaranteed money left on his contract. I can't say what the plan is with Pace/Nagy/Pagano but you can't put players like Shelley, Vildor and Mooney on the PS if you aren't good with losing them.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
few items:

not sure if they're in order but think shelly is alot lower on the totem pole than 4th db and on the bubble
Lucas has as good a shot or better than denmark/mcmanus/carson....esp due to special teams (in fact he may be the guy to finally take mcmanus off the roster)
3 OLB...no chance
RRH does not double as an OLB
Where' Mingo?
Where's Jenkins? think he has as much a shot as urban/anderson (but the 5th and 6th dl spot is not ideal with these 3...good news is they dont play much as the top 4 see most of the action)
1. its not in order. I forgot jordan lucas was on the team so yes i think he replaces one of our ST players.
2. Why can't RRH line up as a DE/OLB ? Mingo... WHO ? why would we keep Jenkins ??? what has he done ? he is depth. Anderson was a rookie and has room to grow and showed flashes of being at least backup quality.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I never said anything about 5th rounders, you did, but i'd put money down that if Shelley or Vildor get put on our PS that both would get picked up by other teams and add D.Mooney to that list as well.
Sorry, I think I saw PS and thought 5th rounder.

As to the your point, they aren't going to be able to keep everyone. And I wrote that I thought they would keep everyone except one of Burns or Roberson, but MAYBE Shelley or Vildor to PS or IR depending on how everyone looks. Some players who we all like aren't going to make the active roster. And that's a good thing.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sorry, I think I saw PS and thought 5th rounder.

As to the your point, they aren't going to be able to keep everyone. And I wrote that I thought they would keep everyone except one of Burns or Roberson, but MAYBE Shelley or Vildor to PS or IR depending on how everyone looks. Some players who we all like aren't going to make the active roster. And that's a good thing.

Yeah not everyone is gonna make the team, that's for sure and probably a player that many Bears fans are a fan of like McManis but i just don't see either DB of Shelley and definitely not Vildor getting put on the PS. Now IR is a different story cause they obviously can't be poached from us if put on IR.

greg23

Liked Posts:
1. its not in order. I forgot jordan lucas was on the team so yes i think he replaces one of our ST players.
2. Why can't RRH line up as a DE/OLB ? Mingo... WHO ? why would we keep Jenkins ??? what has he done ? he is depth. Anderson was a rookie and has room to grow and showed flashes of being at least backup quality.

Mingo.....you know....the 3rd OLB and likely core ST player we signed.....he's making the team

There is ZERO chance they only keep 3 OLB......ZERO......esp with your 3rd being a not really ready rookie from tulsa (he's fine as the 4th/5th OLB for now)

and RRH is not an OLB....clowns went over this last year....he's a dline and can play all three in obvious pass situations...he's not an EDGE/OLB.

Jenkins is a guy.....just like urban and anderson....thus he has a shot at making the roster just like those two....and really is the only bigger/run stopping backup NT on the roster.