Whistle on Offsides?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I guess I could have missed it, but I really don't recall reading that the play will be blown dead on all offside calls being one of the announced rule changes for this season. It just happened in the Falcons/Eagles game and the commentators rambled on about how often Rodgers would take deep shots on those plays. Did anyone hear about this?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Wow Rodgers would be pissed. I have not heard of it myself.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Is that a new rule or was it because Jason Peters jumped because of the offsides call?

I think the play got blown dead because the defender's offsides drew a false start.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I guess I could have missed it, but I really don't recall reading that the play will be blown dead on all offside calls being one of the announced rule changes for this season. It just happened in the Falcons/Eagles game and the commentators rambled on about how often Rodgers would take deep shots on those plays. Did anyone hear about this?
I think they brought the rule in this year. Yesh it will piss off Rodgers

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Is that a new rule or was it because Jason Peters jumped because of the offsides call?

I think the play got blown dead because the defender's offsides drew a false start.

Commentators made it sound like it will be all offsides plays.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:

I believe with the new rule, the play is automatically whistled dead. No more "free shot" plays. Just a five yard gain, and depending on the situation, a new set of downs.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
It’s a rule change, Rogers better get called, dead ball!

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Saw it in preseason. They don't want defenses taking unfair cheap shots. But yes, it will suck for poor little Rodgers, who always seems to bomb one when the defense goes offsides.

He can still do his quick snap when players are trying to leave the field.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Geesh. What kind of fans are you? Yes, that is a new rule. No more free plays. Supposed to be blown dead no matter what on defensive offsides. Now get a life and follow all things Bears, all day, every day, all days, forever.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Word on the street is they made the change when Mack was traded as the refs would be too worried about Rodgers getting sacked; penalty or not

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another new rule, sorry to hijack TJ. When a D player has rushed and come into contact with the QB and taking him down...not sure if I heard correctly but has to avoid allowing his body weight to land on top of the QB, or just plain no pancake squishing of QB.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Another new rule, sorry to hijack TJ. When a D player has rushed and come into contact with the QB and taking him down...not sure if I heard correctly but has to avoid allowing his body weight to land on top of the QB, or just plain no pancake squishing of QB.

That penalty has been around for at least a decade. I seem to recall there was a pivotal call on Tommy Harris for that after what would have been a drive/game ending sack (can't remember the exact game).

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
That wasn't an offsides call, though. It was encroachment, a penalty which has always been blown dead.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That penalty has been around for at least a decade. I seem to recall there was a pivotal call on Tommy Harris for that after what would have been a drive/game ending sack (can't remember the exact game).

I thought I heard Collinsworth saying it had been changed this year.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I thought I heard Collinsworth saying it had been changed this year.

It's a "point of emphasis" this year, but the call has existed for a long time. They used to call it "roughing the passer: punishing with weight," but not sure if they still use that verbiage.