Who could the Cubs trade before the upcoming deadline?

Sam Gutterman

Liked Posts:
With the Cubs not playing well this season and the trade deadline fast approaching, contending teams are inquiring about some of their best players. I wrote about five potential players the Cubs could trade and get something good back for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
With King going down for the season in NY, the price of bullpen arms just went up. Jed is sitting pretty with Robertson, Martin, and Givens.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Won’t they need external talks to make that happen?

Let’s hope the Cubs don’t ask for Darvish. Or the reincarnation of James Shields.
You have to want something to go after something

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have to want something to go after something
Happ/Contreras

Hosmer/Campusano/Hassell. Cubs take on contract to get better return. That would be the best play from Jed's team.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Should be a busy week I’d think

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I would imagine Contreras, Happ, Givens, and Robertson will see a few off days this week.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Smyly can snag something after a nice start. It's too bad Miley has been out all season because he's actually good enough he could have gotten a solid return if healthy.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cubs should trade Contreras Robertson and Happ, then take the return they get for those guys and trade those prospects(and others if needed) for Juan Soto

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I want the Cubs to lose, what is up with all this winning??? I want the cubs to pick in the first three picks at worst. I do not care how many games they have to lose to do it!!!!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs should trade Contreras Robertson and Happ, then take the return they get for those guys and trade those prospects(and others if needed) for Juan Soto
It's probably unlikely but the cubs do have a 40 man roster crunch coming after the season. They need to add like 6-7 guys. Realistically if the cubs eat corbin's salary and trade davis happ(or the prospects he'd net) that would probably get you about half way to the value you need. It really wouldn't be that crazy either. I'd be fine with it as long as they didn't trade PCA.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's probably unlikely but the cubs do have a 40 man roster crunch coming after the season. They need to add like 6-7 guys. Realistically if the cubs eat corbin's salary and trade davis happ(or the prospects he'd net) that would probably get you about half way to the value you need. It really wouldn't be that crazy either. I'd be fine with it as long as they didn't trade PCA.
An OF of Soto, PCA, and Suzuki sure sounds damn good going forward

Factor in Nico as seemingly a mainstay in the IF now, as well.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah and when Alcantara starts approaching you could probably shift Soto to DH.
Would be nice to have that without factoring in Brennen Davis, unless he gets traded.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I want the Cubs to lose, what is up with all this winning??? I want the cubs to pick in the first three picks at worst. I do not care how many games they have to lose to do it!!!!
I totally understand. One the one hand, you want a bad record so the draft pick is high. OTOH, you want the team to seem like it's ready to take off and make a run. In 2014, the Cubs were a 73 win team. There were 8 teams that were the same or worse. Cubs manage to sign Lester that off season and have the 3rd best record the next season. I guess it all just depends on when they see the next window.