Who could the Cubs trade before the upcoming deadline?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Would be nice to have that without factoring in Brennen Davis, unless he gets traded.
I mean if you're trading for Soto, Davis is long gone. But i mean to me it's fine because you already have Suzuki and Soto would probably play RF. Davis in my eyes isn't gonna play CF for the cubs anyways. He'd probably push Suzuki to left. My guess is Morel is the short term CF option until PCA is ready and maybe you pick up a cheaper platoon partner to go with him who's a bit better defensively. Morel's metrics haven't been god awful but they've been below average. That's fine if he hits like he has though especially since cubs wont be pushing for the playoffs probably til PCA is ready anyways. After that you have Morel playing the zobrist/chris taylor role of a solid starter all over the field to give people rests on bad match up days.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think Soto is for us. Generational player of course. Would love him, but I feel like we need more depth. Nats want a ton like they should. But, I see no way that PCA wouldnt have to go as well.

For us getting "peanuts" we have two top 100 players from those trades.

Baseball isnt basketball. Trout and Ohtsni are two of the top 5 players in the league and look at the Angels. Its a shame but we want depth.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I totally understand. One the one hand, you want a bad record so the draft pick is high. OTOH, you want the team to seem like it's ready to take off and make a run. In 2014, the Cubs were a 73 win team. There were 8 teams that were the same or worse. Cubs manage to sign Lester that off season and have the 3rd best record the next season. I guess it all just depends on when they see the next window.
But very few players on the 2022 team factor into 2024 and beyond. Losing with the future core would be different but these guys are stopgap.

Nico and maybe a couple others.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I mean if you're trading for Soto, Davis is long gone. But i mean to me it's fine because you already have Suzuki and Soto would probably play RF. Davis in my eyes isn't gonna play CF for the cubs anyways. He'd probably push Suzuki to left. My guess is Morel is the short term CF option until PCA is ready and maybe you pick up a cheaper platoon partner to go with him who's a bit better defensively. Morel's metrics haven't been god awful but they've been below average. That's fine if he hits like he has though especially since cubs wont be pushing for the playoffs probably til PCA is ready anyways. After that you have Morel playing the zobrist/chris taylor role of a solid starter all over the field to give people rests on bad match up days.
Davis is considered the top prospect but I agree if he were in a Soto trade you’d be unlikely to regret trading him.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
But very few players on the 2022 team factor into 2024 and beyond. Losing with the future core would be different but these guys are stopgap.

Nico and maybe a couple others.
My comment was more about the ability to attract a FA in the upcoming offseason or the next. I know other than Nico and Suzuki, there probably isn't a mainstay playing for the Cubs today.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I realize Soto would cost a lot of minor league depth but depth is our current strength. Our system is different than in 2014, when in 2014 it was very top heavy and little behind it. This depth is less top heavy but much more deep, on like an 8-1 ration when counting 40+ prospects. And this is before trading Happ/Contreras/Robertson/etc... and next years high draft. You trade for Soto and we are still quite deep, just less top heavy.

What I heard is two MLB ready guys and 2 top 100's, something along those lines. I'd think this would be Killian, PCA, Davis, and some other choice for the Nats. This is where it would be ideal to involve that third team, maybe the Mets, who can send some guys over to the Nats so we can perhaps keep PCA.

Last edited:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Soto is a no for me at present time. Way too early to be trading assets for a guy that won’t move the needle much for the current club. If this was 2-3 years from now I think it would align better with a competitive window opening up.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Soto is a no for me at present time. Way too early to be trading assets for a guy that won’t move the needle much for the current club. If this was 2-3 years from now I think it would align better with a competitive window opening up.
Soto is still just 23 years old. He fits the cubs window of 2-3 years from now. Age 25-28 is a players prime years typically, so he would be peaking around the time of the cubs competitive window.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Soto is still just 23 years old. He fits the cubs window of 2-3 years from now. Age 25-28 is a players prime years typically, so he would be peaking around the time of the cubs competitive window.
Excellent player, no question there. But he's just one guy....this team needs much more than one guy. To get him you have unload a lot of the good young players the Cubs having been trying to accumulate. Then because of his contract size, they'll be limited on spending to add more good players that way. They also really have to eat the balance of the Heyward contract as he's blocking some advancement of young players. One guy....one as good as Soto can push a contending over the top. I don't think anyone here thinks the Cubs are a contender. As good as he is, he's just not the right player for this time in the rebuild.

Of the players that have played at Wrigley this year......I only see Morel, Stroman, Thompson, Steele, Suzuki, Hendricks, Hoerner, Kilian, Gomes, Effross and Bote as probable returners. That's not a lot....there are a lot of holes to fill. Even some of them are only here because of long or recent contracts.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Excellent player, no question there. But he's just one guy....this team needs much more than one guy. To get him you have unload a lot of the good young players the Cubs having been trying to accumulate. Then because of his contract size, they'll be limited on spending to add more good players that way. They also really have to eat the balance of the Heyward contract as he's blocking some advancement of young players. One guy....one as good as Soto can push a contending over the top. I don't think anyone here thinks the Cubs are a contender. As good as he is, he's just not the right player for this time in the rebuild.

Of the players that have played at Wrigley this year......I only see Morel, Stroman, Thompson, Steele, Suzuki, Hendricks, Hoerner, Kilian, Gomes, Effross and Bote as probable returners. That's not a lot....there are a lot of holes to fill. Even some of them are only here because of long or recent contracts.
You realize that Soto is younger than all of the guys you just named, right? Also, one of the guys you named would be included in a trade for Soto, so you’re not hurting the depth of the team, at least the guys you seem to care about. Again, a guy that is a generational level hitter, that will be in his prime years when the cubs are contending again, you have to at least consider making an offer.

yes, he will cost a lot of prospects to get, but the cubs have tons of prospect depth and will be adding more of them once they trade Willy, Happ, robertson, and givens.

not to mention, none of the cubs prospects will ever be Soto level good I think it’s safe to say.

im not saying the cubs should trade for Soto to contend this season or next season, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a buyer of a 23 year old generational talent with 2 years of control to give time to come to a contract agreement. And yes, he will cost alot to resign, but the cubs have the $$ to do so. Heyward s contract isn’t going to hinder any spending going forward

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Am I correct in assuming that the folks proposing a trade for Soto are making the assumption that a long term extension is worked out with Soto ahead of time?
If not, real hard pass.
If so, what is the guess on what it takes to get that done.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You realize that Soto is younger than all of the guys you just named, right? Also, one of the guys you named would be included in a trade for Soto, so you’re not hurting the depth of the team, at least the guys you seem to care about. Again, a guy that is a generational level hitter, that will be in his prime years when the cubs are contending again, you have to at least consider making an offer.

yes, he will cost a lot of prospects to get, but the cubs have tons of prospect depth and will be adding more of them once they trade Willy, Happ, robertson, and givens.

not to mention, none of the cubs prospects will ever be Soto level good I think it’s safe to say.

im not saying the cubs should trade for Soto to contend this season or next season, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a buyer of a 23 year old generational talent with 2 years of control to give time to come to a contract agreement. And yes, he will cost alot to resign, but the cubs have the $$ to do so. Heyward s contract isn’t going to hinder any spending going forward
Interesting point on Happ, Contreras and Robertson. If they moved what they get for those three to get Soto, that would work....basically a 3 for 1 deal. They'd probably have to add to it but not much if they get the going rate for those three.

Even so....it won't happen. The Cardinals are interested and the Yankees are sick of Joey Gallo. Plus the Mets, Dodgers, Giants and Padres are in the mix as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Normally bottom dwellers don't trade with each other. Add to it it is countering the depth push.

Jed has worked in windows. Right now it is a transition year. I can see Jed selling Wilson and if the right return comes back Ian. Robinson should be gone. Rest really are not moving a needle unless a team takes on a major injury and Smyly's name pops up as a cheaper return.

I really do not know what Jed is going to do here. Next offseason Josh Bell is on the market. Cubs need a hitter like him. Cubs have Morel at 2B/CF. Davis we can hope pushes in ST for the opening and pushes Morel into 2B.

So the biggest need is covered with 1 signing. Core LH power hitter.

2nd need is catcher after Wilson is traded. Jed might be ok here if Amaya seems healthy this off season and plays in Iowa. Keep status Q with what he has.

Then pitching. IDK if this will end up a major need. He has 3 guys returning. 1 guy with a opt. 2 injured that should factor. Maybe this year. Then 1 that should get another shot. Then 2 more at AA that will be at AAA next year.

So we have a glut here and some are going to fall into the pen. So is it a major need? Maybe if a few flame out but this is the first time sense Wood Prior and Zambrano that this has happened. But at a higher volume approach.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Interesting point on Happ, Contreras and Robertson. If they moved what they get for those three to get Soto, that would work....basically a 3 for 1 deal. They'd probably have to add to it but not much if they get the going rate for those three.

Even so....it won't happen. The Cardinals are interested and the Yankees are sick of Joey Gallo. Plus the Mets, Dodgers, Giants and Padres are in the mix as well.
Oh, I 100% agree it won’t happen.

I just think it’s a move the cubs should be considering attempting to make, and who knows, Jed and company might of had a call or two with the Nats about it and have done the due diligence.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Soto is so good that his team is at the bottom of the standings. That’s why you don’t trade for him when the result won’t be any different. Just look at the Angels. The two best players in the league and no hardware.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Surprised Jed hasn’t pulled the trigger on any deal yet.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised Jed hasn’t pulled the trigger on any deal yet.
Why would he? Let the chips fall and see the returns and have the teams who lose out bid more.

The Cubs trade assets are highly coveted this year. They can let the market shape.

Reds just got a haul for Castillo but he has another year of control.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The majority of the deals usually happen late for the reasons mentioned above and because the noose tightens a bit on the teams looking for help.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs dealt Martin to LA for Zach McKinstry McKinstry is pretty interesting as a utility guy for a rental bullpen arm. He's hit really well in AAA but hasn't yet translated to the majors. Give cubs are moving guys its an interesting play to back fill with some potentially 4A or better talent.