Who could the Cubs trade before the upcoming deadline?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Cubs dealt Martin to LA for Zach McKinstry McKinstry is pretty interesting as a utility guy for a rental bullpen arm. He's hit really well in AAA but hasn't yet translated to the majors. Give cubs are moving guys its an interesting play to back fill with some potentially 4A or better talent.
Interesting like Greg deichmann? Or is he better than that?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I feel like he's better than deichmann. Mckinstry has hit .323/.401/.550 in 489 AAA PAs. That's a 15.7% k rate and a 10.8% bb rate. Deichmann has hit 254/.348/.404 in AAA. So pretty stark difference plus McKinstry can play all over the field at every but like CF, SS and C

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I feel like he's better than deichmann. Mckinstry has hit .323/.401/.550 in 489 AAA PAs. That's a 15.7% k rate and a 10.8% bb rate. Deichmann has hit 254/.348/.404 in AAA. So pretty stark difference plus McKinstry can play all over the field at every but like CF, SS and C

Seems like a guy that could step in for Happ or Wisdom if they are dealt. He’s got nothing to prove at AAA and just needs more consistent playing time in the MLB to see what he actually has to offer.

jpatel2444

Liked Posts:
Last edited by a moderator:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He is a decent pick up. About worth what they gave up. 0-1 fWAR value. He is LH so it factors. But if Happ goes I would rather Vazquez get all of the playing time. See if he is legit vs MLB talent

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see what they can get for Willson Contreras. On one hand we think it should be a pretty good haul, but on the other hand will be praying that one of the prospects can turn into something close to Willson Contreras.

Happ? Robertson?

It’s getting old being in the position of knowing the team is selling because they’re not competitive.

Two days left. Expecting the crappy news and looking forward to seeing the return.

By tomorrow night we’ll be focused on the prospect pool we have which should get quite a boost.

But it’s like having a lot of seeds and needing an orchard.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
What got old was watching the team trot out the previous underachieving core post-2016. Previous regimes would have kept most if not all of the previous core leading to being stuck in mediocrity. The fact they pulled the plug and are taking a completely different direction is refreshing.

The truth is that last year the team finished with the 7th pick and this year they are playing about the same just without 3 expensive long-term contracts on the books.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It will be interesting to see what they can get for Willson Contreras. On one hand we think it should be a pretty good haul, but on the other hand will be praying that one of the prospects can turn into something close to Willson Contreras.

Happ? Robertson?

It’s getting old being in the position of knowing the team is selling because they’re not competitive.

Two days left. Expecting the crappy news and looking forward to seeing the return.

By tomorrow night we’ll be focused on the prospect pool we have which should get quite a boost.

But it’s like having a lot of seeds and needing an orchard.
This is the first season of KNOWING they are sellers day 1.

last season they became sellers because they weren’t any good.

patience, my friend

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Weird trade of Effross to Yankees. Seemed to be a guy you could keep in the pen with so many years of club control still on the books.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weird trade of Effross to Yankees. Seemed to be a guy you could keep in the pen with so many years of club control still on the books.
Wesneski was valued pretty high in the Yanks org. His stuff has gotten better even with development slowed due to covid years.

This could be a real nice pick up soon since he is almost MLB ready.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Wesneski was valued pretty high in the Yanks org. His stuff has gotten better even with development slowed due to covid years.

This could be a real nice pick up soon since he is almost MLB ready.
I assumed he was a reliever, but looks like he's an almost mlb ready SP. Seems bizarre Yankees traded him for a solid ML arm.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Seems like Hayden also projects well as a bullpen arm if starting doesn’t pan out.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Brewers nation gonna storm the bastille? Hader to San Diego when they are in a pennant race? They will move Williams to closer most likely as a result. Obviously Brew Crew know they won’t pay Hader after next year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What got old was watching the team trot out the previous underachieving core post-2016. Previous regimes would have kept most if not all of the previous core leading to being stuck in mediocrity. The fact they pulled the plug and are taking a completely different direction is refreshing.

The truth is that last year the team finished with the 7th pick and this year they are playing about the same just without 3 expensive long-term contracts on the books.
I have no issue with what they did in late July last year.
But they didn't do much to avoid being in that situation.

I am happy with the state of their farm system these days, at least at the lower levels. And I am optimistic that they're building better depth and have help on the way.

But they really need to start sitting at the big table they way they promised in 2015. The Dodgers get every player available. They were in the WS, added Scherzer and Trea Turner at the deadline, won a WS, signed Freddie Freeman and are a finalist for Juan Soto.

THAT is what the Cubs promised. Time to deliver.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I have no issue with what they did in late July last year.
But they didn't do much to avoid being in that situation.

I am happy with the state of their farm system these days, at least at the lower levels. And I am optimistic that they're building better depth and have help on the way.

But they really need to start sitting at the big table they way they promised in 2015. The Dodgers get every player available. They were in the WS, added Scherzer and Trea Turner at the deadline, won a WS, signed Freddie Freeman and are a finalist for Juan Soto.

THAT is what the Cubs promised. Time to deliver.
Dodgers didn't win the WS after getting turner and scherzer

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Brewers nation gonna storm the bastille? Hader to San Diego when they are in a pennant race? They will move Williams to closer most likely as a result. Obviously Brew Crew know they won’t pay Hader after next year.
Brewers traded hader (1st in saves) for the guy 2nd in saves plus some prospects. I’d say the brewers came out nicely in that trade

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Brewers traded hader (1st in saves) for the guy 2nd in saves plus some prospects. I’d say the brewers came out nicely in that trade
Not so sure. Despite his recent troubles, Hader is still the most lights out closer in MLB. Rodgers was just demoted from his closer role due to 7 blown saves and a slew of bean balls (8 HBP in 41 innings) plus it's contract year for him. Lamet has never shown much of anything and both of them are on the wrong side of 30. As per usual, I know nothing about the prospects but they damn sure better be good ones or the Crew will be sucking hind tit on this one.