Who could the Cubs trade before the upcoming deadline?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The fact Padres went out and got Hader when they already had a closer with one less save makes it seem like they had very little confidence in Rodgers.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not so sure. Despite his recent troubles, Hader is still the most lights out closer in MLB. Rodgers was just demoted from his closer role due to 7 blown saves and a slew of bean balls (8 HBP in 41 innings) plus it's contract year for him. Lamet has never shown much of anything and both of them are on the wrong side of 30. As per usual, I know nothing about the prospects but they damn sure better be good ones or the Crew will be sucking hind tit on this one.
There’s certainly risk to it, but having Williams replace hader as the closer helps lessen the blow of losing hader. Brewers weren’t going to resign him, so they made a move they felt could make and still win the division. It is a crappy division after all

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Brewers nation gonna storm the bastille? Hader to San Diego when they are in a pennant race? They will move Williams to closer most likely as a result. Obviously Brew Crew know they won’t pay Hader after next year.

They got a closer in return.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There’s certainly risk to it, but having Williams replace hader as the closer helps lessen the blow of losing hader. Brewers weren’t going to resign him, so they made a move they felt could make and still win the division. It is a crappy division after all

Crew didn't want to pay the increase. Projected for 15M the as too rich for that team

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't know squat about the Effross deal. Rather wait and see vs give a damn

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The fact Padres went out and got Hader when they already had a closer with one less save makes it seem like they had very little confidence in Rodgers.
Maybe so, but for everyone thinking hader is a ton better than rodgers…rodgers has an identical WHIP and ERA as Hader does this season

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So MLB has him #8 behind Kilian and Wicks. Big horizontal slider.

Not a bad deal

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So MLB has him #8 behind Kilian and Wicks. Big horizontal slider.

Not a bad deal

He was the Yankees top pitching prospect according to baseball America…

Wesneski was the Yankees’ ninth-round pick in 2019, out of Sam Houston State, and had ascended to the No. 4 spot in their Top 30 Prospects and was their top overall pitching prospect.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Wesneski was the Yankees’ ninth-round pick in 2019, out of Sam Houston State, and had ascended to the No. 4 spot in their Top 30 Prospects and was their top overall pitching prospect.
So you’re saying they got more than just peanuts for him?! @jts1207

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, they still should have enough to hold off the Cards but I was thinking long term. Two 30 plus guys...one on a contract year just like the guy they're dealing and two unknowns. I don't think I'd like that deal for Contreras.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not so sure. Despite his recent troubles, Hader is still the most lights out closer in MLB. Rodgers was just demoted from his closer role due to 7 blown saves and a slew of bean balls (8 HBP in 41 innings) plus it's contract year for him. Lamet has never shown much of anything and both of them are on the wrong side of 30. As per usual, I know nothing about the prospects but they damn sure better be good ones or the Crew will be sucking hind tit on this one.
I think the Brewers have a reliever in house to assume the closer role.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well I would assume they think the other guy can really handle the job because the goal is not to win the division. But it’s a bold move no doubt.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

A year ago he was the Yankees #30 overall prospect. They traded away a bunch but even still he was #4 on one list and #7 on another. (All positions)

But I saw one scout - there’s always one! - who likes him better than any of their other pitchers.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the Brewers have a reliever in house to assume the closer role.
Yeah, they still have Williams and Beanball Rodgers will probably move to setup man. But you just traded the best closer in the game who is still only 28.....unless the two kids they got turn into something special, I think they should have gotten more. Time will tell, I guess.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Things have gotten so pathetic with sports riders that Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that Tommy fam has been traded from the Reds but they don’t know to whom.

How is it news if all you’re doing is telling someone is leaving the Reds and you don’t know worries going? Sportswriting has just gotten to be such a crock.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Things have gotten so pathetic with sports riders that Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that Tommy fam has been traded from the Reds but they don’t know to whom.

How is it news if all you’re doing is telling someone is leaving the Reds and you don’t know worries going? Sportswriting has just gotten to be such a crock.
He was in the lineup up until 4 minutes before game time. Thats why they didnt know

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Pig fuckers in St. Louis are gonna end up getting Juan Soto without giving up both Dylan Carlson and their best prospect in the minors.

In other words it’s gonna be just like Goldschmidt and Arenado all over again. someone’s going to gift the Cardinals something.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
On the other hand, the Cardinals just acquired Quintana so that’s good news

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
brett from bleacher nation basically hinted he got a tip off earlier today about a potential big move happening. He just now alluded to the idea that basically SD and the cubs have a deal in place presumably for happ/contreras if the soto deal falls through.