Who could the Cubs trade before the upcoming deadline?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
AFAIK he's a starter. Looks like a guy they drafted late as a high schooler who's breaking out. From what I'm reading he may not have control long term to be a starter but i mean 2.84 bb/9 in 73 innings at A+ is pretty good especially when you add in 12.95 k/9. Worst case he's an interesting bullpen arm but he is very much in that herz range where you let him prove he can't be a starter with that sorta k//9
I think you just get talent. Baseball is getting more slotted every year. Starters are like 5 inning pitchers now that take you to middle guys who take you to setups then on to the closer. The 100 pitch thing has changed everything.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Something else I'm curious about. I feel like of late the cubs have done well trading for guys a bit off the radar. From my understanding they have a lot of scouting comparable to other teams which i mean given their size of market they should. Feel like this robertson trade is a lot like the trade for killian where initially it doesn't seem amazing but the numbers look good and seems like cubs do a pretty good job scouting. Development in the past has been more of an issue because like they had Liam Hendricks at one point and a lot of players they acquired eventually became major league players just with other teams.

Hopefully the development side with recent additions has gotten better and it does appear that is the case.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes man, we’ve got the next great Cy winner coming in. You idiots love some unproven minor league talent. We are the Cubs not the As …spend some Fn money and win. This indefinite rebuild is comical at this point.

Can’t wait to hear your take on all the future all stars we get for Willy and Haap lol
So….essentially you’re saying anyone satisfied with the return we received for a middle reliever believes the guy we got is a cy young award winner?

You’re implying it’s wrong to be happy with anything less for Scott effross?

You realize we didn’t trade Juan Soto, right? It was Scott Effross for shit’s sake!

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Brown seems like a late bloomer. Already had TJ surgery so lost a lot of development time right after being drafted.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brown seems like a late bloomer. Already had TJ surgery so lost a lot of development time right after being drafted.
Yea, big boy too. 6'6. 95-98 with fastball. Two breaking pitches for the strikeout. Has control of pitches but not really command yet.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
honestly only thing i really have bad to say about brown is he's rule 5 eligible but given where cubs are with 40 man this offseason could be pretty interesting for trades.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, Padres just got Drury as well. They swung for everything

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Contreras and Happ are in the lineup tonight.

I think the Cubs are playing we want what we want and pony up or we will keep them.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn, Padres just got Drury as well. They swung for everything
And it's a damn tough field to wade through to get to the promised land.....Dodgers, Mets, Braves.....they are definitely showing some stones.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

I think the Cubs are playing we want what we want and pony up or we will keep them.
100%. They ain’t actually playing tonight, it’d be a shock if the cubs don’t find a trade worthwhile in the next hour +

but stranger things have happened, and they have another year of control on Happ.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Brace yourselves for really underwhelming returns.

Cubs were Padres’ backup plan but it remains to be seen whether they themselves had one.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

They should be trying to build around Contreras anyway. Still need a good vet leader, and nothing better than a really good catcher to be that guy.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Givens should be moved, but I think he’s probably a fall back option for most clubs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Brace yourselves for really underwhelming returns.

Cubs were Padres’ backup plan but it remains to be seen whether they themselves had one.
Like i said earlier, i'd just assume the cubs QO contreras if they don't get a decent recent return. Getting another top like 70 pick when the cubs likely have like a top 5 draft pick gives them a lot of options with money to go after various plays

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Ya. The DH makes extending Wilson a option. This year he has made himself a force as a hitter and it is related to more time as DH.

Happy was always plan B for most teams. Wait and see on him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm glad to see Hoyer hanging in there.....fuck the Mets.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Like i said earlier, i'd just assume the cubs QO contreras if they don't get a decent recent return. Getting another top like 70 pick when the cubs likely have like a top 5 draft pick gives them a lot of options with money to go after various plays

Jed could do that. Or he could just pay the man. DH really changed the dynamic.