Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many people?

How do you feel about it?

I manage 30 people, and while I feel like I'm actually pretty good at it, I kind of hate it.

The excuses people make.... fuck.

Having to be tactful with everything I say when speaking with someone because they're super sensitive and might run to HR....

I don't like firing people. If you're a manager and like firing people, it's not a job you should have. Yes... "people fire themselves", but it still sucks to do when you've built a relationship with someone.

Those certain people that make you have to micromanage them...

Don't get me wrong, there are things I love about it.... but fuck, man. It drives me insane at least once a week.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Not anymore... I’m a one deep shop now and very happy about it.
What I remember most is 2% of your people take 90% of your time.
I don’t miss management...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many people?

How do you feel about it?

I manage 30 people, and while I feel like I'm actually pretty good at it, I kind of hate it.

The excuses people make.... fuck.

Having to be tactful with everything I say when speaking with someone because they're super sensitive and might run to HR....

I don't like firing people. If you're a manager and like firing people, it's not a job you should have. Yes... "people fire themselves", but it still sucks to do when you've built a relationship with someone.

Those certain people that make you have to micromanage them...

Don't get me wrong, there are things I love about it.... but fuck, man. It drives me insane at least once a week.
I had to manage my own personal 12 man crew and then manage 20 plus KM's and GM
s. Corporate sucks. Thats why I left and decided to open my own.

HR is the devil and basically cut yours nuts off at every avenue.

What I learned? People are lazy. This new society caters to it. Everyone is worried about getting sued and now, managers really dont have the power.

People are dishonest and will try anything to get away with minimal effort.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not anymore... I’m a one deep shop now and very happy about it.
What I remember most is 2% of your people take 90% of your time.
I don’t miss management...

That is 100% correct. Which is unfortunate, because I'd really want to focus more of my time engaging with and developing my top performers.... But then you have those few fuck faces who are always doing some shit that takes up your time.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I had to manage my own personal 12 man crew and then manage 20 plus KM's and GM
s. Corporate sucks. Thats why I left and decided to open my own.

HR is the devil and basically cut yours nuts off at every avenue.

What I learned? People are lazy. This new society caters to it. Everyone is worried about getting sued and now, managers really dont have the power.

People are dishonest and will try anything to get away with minimal effort.

When it comes to HR, documentation is key. Whenever I have a crucial conversation with one of my associates, I always document what was said, the date, time, etc. Depending on the nature of the conversation, I will send them a follow-up email with some notes from our discussion...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is 100% correct. Which is unfortunate, because I'd really want to focus more of my time engaging with and developing my top performers.... But then you have those few fuck faces who are always doing some shit that takes up your time.
This is a big thing with the higher ups. They want you to make a "bench" because its much cheaper on the company to promote from within then go outside. The problem is you spend 90% of your time baby sitting grown people that you cant focus a big chunk on the top performers to get them to the next level. Its a hard take to master and it makes you frustrated. Then, you are trying to get yourself ahead, but you still got to baby sit the adults who are children and HR cuts off your nuts.

Xuder hit on the head about middle management.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When it comes to HR, documentation is key. Whenever I have a crucial conversation with one of my associates, I always document what was said, the date, time, etc. Depending on the nature of the conversation, I will send them a follow-up email with some notes from our discussion...
Yes, we documented everything but my company was huge on not firing. They would want to move them and they would be the same problem when moved and it was a merry go round.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes, we documented everything but my company was huge on not firing. They would want to move them and they would be the same problem when moved and it was a merry go round.
That, to me, defines hell. Moving an underperformer/problem to someone else's department. It gives people no incentive to perform, and is a demotivator to the manager, implying they were at least partly to blame.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am an IT Manager.

Right now 9 people report to me.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I have 4 people that are direct reports to me, but am also responsible for the initial and continued training of another 30 or so. I get to continuously tell them all when and how they've fucked up their jobs (and how to do shit properly), so that's all fun.

In general I enjoy it. It's kind of nice that the rest of the staff doesn't report to me, so I don't have to deal with their bullshit; but they still have to suffer me in as much as the entire site's adherence to FDA, GHA, PPTA, CLIA, and a host of other regulatory bodies is under my purview -- and, thus, so are their jobs.

Side note: why has Urlock been such a bitch lately?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have 4 people that are direct reports to me, but am also responsible for the initial and continued training of another 30 or so. I get to continuously tell them all when and how they've fucked up their jobs (and how to do shit properly), so that's all fun.

In general I enjoy it. It's kind of nice that the rest of the staff doesn't report to me, so I don't have to deal with their bullshit; but they still have to suffer me in as much as the entire site's adherence to FDA, GHA, PPTA, CLIA, and a host of other regulatory bodies is under my purview -- and, thus, so are their jobs.

Side note: why has Urlock been such a bitch lately?

Lately?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Worked a retail business for 29 years and owned it for almost 20. When we started we had about 25-30 employees when I sold we had over 50; seasonally it would be around 60. Without question or hesitation I can say that labor was the worst part of the job. Hiring was a bad and firing worse. Labor laws and their respective departments kept things interesting. The biggest problem there was the people investigating or enforcing were pretty low intelligence people. They had an agenda and they had power and would not hesitate to use it against you. Not all, some were great people, but too many are insecure and wanted to prove they had you over a barrel-which they did. But they weren't nearly as bad as local health department officials. Who aren't as bad as OSHA. Keeping up with the government rules was a bitch. We weren't large enough to have a dedicated human resources department so most of it fell to me.

Dealing with employees, their kid issues, their spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend issues, their ex-spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend issues, their family, friends and pet's health issues, car issues, legal issues (no being in jail is not an excused absence), etc... was a big job.

If you have a certain number like under 15 employees (I do not know what the number is now) you are exempt from certain aspects of labor laws.

I have stories that could go on forever.

Reactions: DC