Who is to blame for the failure of Mitchell Trubisky? .... is it Nagy's fault? Pace? Lazor? Trubs?

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
The argument goes, "well look at what Foles is doing in this offense so it must be Nagy".

Lets break it down. Foles caught lighting in a bottle for 1 year and the other year when he was good he was playing in a gimmick offense that had not been figured out by defenses yet (sound familiar? Think Mitch in 2018). Besides the 2 years of success, besides the occasional good performance here or there (spotty) Foles has been mostly an average to poor quarterback throughout HIS WHOLE CAREER. That's one of the reasons he has been dealt away so much. The fact that he is doing poorly under Nagy proves nothing. Fact is, anyone with half a brain knew that a statue like Foles would need a superior Oline to have any chance of excelling. He does not have that line so he was doomed to fail. His failure is more on Pace (lack of Oline personnel) than Nagy.

So this effectively cancels out the argument that Trubisky's failures are on Nagy "because at what Nagy has done with Foles". Foles was never good except in spurts and needs substantial support around him (Oline) that we do not have.

Lets break it down further. In its most simplest terms, playing Quarterback is about: 1). thinking quickly and accurately, and 2). basically "playing pitch and catch" in the heat of the moment. Either you can do either of those, or you can't. These skills are more "born with" and nurtured/enhanced through years and years of training from grade school up through college. These are not skills that can be acquired by crash course teaching once you arrive in the NFL. In short, you arrive with them "before" you get to the NFL.

Look at Bill Belichick this year. Turns out Tom Brady is a pretty good quarterback, isn't he? Belichick is finding that out the hard way. ITS NOT THE SYSTEM.... STUPID! Lol

DeShaun Watson had an idiot for a coach - Bill O'Brien. Watson still excelled when O'Brien was coaching him despite O'Brien clearly being boneheaded and putting him positions to fail if Watson was not as good as he is. Watson's best receiver.... his "go to" receiver was traded before this year.... and his coach was fired and changed "in season" and Watson has not missed a beat. In fact, he is making a strong case for MVP.

Whats my point? Ballers "ball out" regardless of the boneheaded coach around them. Elite players find ways to be elite, regardless of the coaching around them. Sure, a "system" can help, but the basic skills of a good quarterback an "either you have it or you don't" type deal. The good ones make good decisions and simply play "pitch and catch" in the heat of the moment. Either you have that ability to throw into tight windows consistently or you don't.... either you have that ability to anticipate and lead your receiver, or you don't.... either you possess the hand eye coordination to be accurate with your passes, or you can't do it.... either you have VISION to see the entire field, or you don't.... either you have the intelligence to quickly read a defense, or you can't. These are not system dependent traits. These are traits you come into the NFL with.... or simply don't have.

We make too much of "systems". Heck, I would be in the NFL right now if a "system" could help me bridge the talent gap between being a successful NFL QB and an NFL bust. The long and short of it is, in its most simplest terms, in the heat of the moment, Trubisky does not think very well, and he does not play "pitch and catch" very well. Those are things that no coach can give you.

The excuse being circulated on this board now that "Nagy is Trubisky's problem" is just something circling out there that was started by Trubs' fans to take him off the hook for his own poor play. Somehow that lie has been given legs on this board because Foles was supposedly the litmus test. Well Foles is the wrong guy to judge the effectiveness of this offensive coaching staff off of because unless you have: A) a new, never seen before "gimmick offense", and/or B) a rock solid offensive line around him... Foles will fail. Period. His history (before he ever became a Bear) has shown us that.

Foles' failure proves nothing about Trubisky.... and it proves very little about Nagy. Trubs is not very good because Trubs is simply not very good. He came into the NFL lacking in the traits that the good ones have. Trubs' failure is Trubs' fault -- nobody else.

Now, on to other things during my vacation week............

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A bust is going to bust regardless.

Nagy and Pace have other issues going as well. So all of them

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
A bit on Trubisky for not having the mental talent needed to succeed at QB in the NFL, but mostly on Pace for trading up to pick him. I'm probably a bit biased because I wanted Watson, but can at least understand that Trubisky was 1/3 in the carousel of acceptable first QBs chosen that year. Unfortunately for Pace, you are graded on results in the NFL and the results for the Trubisky choice are poor before you factor in the idiotic trade up.

Nagy and Lazor are fuck ups - Im not trying to excuse them - I think Nagy would still be a problem with Watson, but Bears would be getting a 100 PR QB with Watson instead of an 80 PR QB in Trubisky. Pace brought a knife to a gun fight.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This.

Didn't even bother reading the thread. But this, for real. When a top 5 pick fails its everyone. Legit, everyone.
yep, I was probably somewhat a bit fair to Pace, Mitchell, Foles, fuck, even Tony Medlin and others but my patience is worn out now, that was pitiful last night, tho i didn't catch the game till the 3rd quarter, i just knew it was bad, you could tell Nagy was nervous and pacing around, fucking cluelessly.
I totally believe this entire ORG is completely clueless when it comes to QBs. Fire Teddy and work the whole way down the list.

msadows

Liked Posts:
A bust is going to bust regardless.

Nagy and Pace have other issues going as well. So all of them

False, plenty of football smart analysts have mentioned the fact that the actual situation you go to is very important to your development.

Now I'm not saying mitch would be good elsewhere, but as a generality, where and what scheme you get drafted to matter a world for a top 10 pick. Shit, even madden teaches you that.

msadows

Liked Posts:
A bit on Trubisky for not having the mental talent needed to succeed at QB in the NFL, but mostly on Pace for trading up to pick him. I'm probably a bit biased because I wanted Watson, but can at least understand that Trubisky was 1/3 in the carousel of acceptable first QBs chosen that year. Unfortunately for Pace, you are graded on results in the NFL and the results for the Trubisky choice are poor before you factor in the idiotic trade up.

Nagy and Lazor are fuck ups - Im not trying to excuse them - I think Nagy would still be a problem with Watson, but Bears would be getting a 100 PR QB with Watson instead of an 80 PR QB in Trubisky. Pace brought a knife to a gun fight.

You need to develop the talent you draft. Sure, watson is much better, but what offensive talent have the bears developed? What he's done, or what mahomes has done, doesn't mean it would translate to here.

They've drafted a ton of talent in the nagy/pace regime, and they all have gotten worse. Just sayin. I can't think of one offensive pick I go "Great pick".

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
False, plenty of football smart analysts have mentioned the fact that the actual situation you go to is very important to your development.

Now I'm not saying mitch would be good elsewhere, but as a generality, where and what scheme you get drafted to matter a world for a top 10 pick. Shit, even madden teaches you that.

And for alot of them,, it doesn't matter at all.

Trubisky is inaccurate and can't read a defense to save his life. I dont know what scheme is going to fix that. You can mask him but that style of play is not worthy of a 1st round QB, let alone a top 3 pick

msadows

Liked Posts:
And for alot of them,, it doesn't matter at all.

Trubisky is inaccurate and can't read a defense to save his life. I dont know what scheme is going to fix that. You can mask him but that style of play is not worthy of a 1st round QB, let alone a top 3 pick

Thats where player development comes in man.

Once again, every player in the nagy regime has gotten worse on offense, not better.

This is not a defense of mitch, this is more of a shot at Nagy/Pace.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
You need to develop the talent you draft. Sure, watson is much better, but what offensive talent have the bears developed? What he's done, or what mahomes has done, doesn't mean it would translate to here.

They've drafted a ton of talent in the nagy/pace regime, and they all have gotten worse. Just sayin. I can't think of one offensive pick I go "Great pick".

I guess it depends on your definition of developed and where you draw the cutoff because Nagy and Pace have been with the Bears for different time frames - but Howard probably outplayed his draft position while on the Bears. Cohen, Montgomery and Daniels are probably average/neutral returns on their pick position.

I use Watson as my example because hes found success on a team with similar levels of disfunction to the Bears in the Texans.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess it depends on your definition of developed and where you draw the cutoff because Nagy and Pace have been with the Bears for different time frames - but Howard probably outplayed his draft position while on the Bears. Cohen, Montgomery and Daniels are probably average/neutral returns on their pick position.

I use Watson as my example because hes found success on a team with similar levels of disfunction to the Bears in the Texans.

Cohen got worse. Daniels, is probably the same, slightly getting worse imo.

Howard wasn't developing under Nagy

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Cohen got worse. Daniels, is probably the same, slightly getting worse imo.

Howard wasn't developing under Nagy
Cohen had his best year under Nagy, but I put him in the neutral category with Daniels.

Included Howard for Pace - agree no developing with Nagy. He was a "great pick" for a 5th round pick while with the Bears I feel. Almost single handedly won the team a few games during his tenure here.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
your really a nagy fanboy arent ya, new thread, same story...

who wanted foles, the statue? was it pace or nagy?

your right though, there are QB's that transcend scheme but there are also QB's that need the right scheme to thrive. Tannenhill is such an example that shows what its like to be in a shit show scheme and then be in one that used your strengths and now has him playing some of the best football in his career.

i dont disagree about having it or not because it is true, you either have it or you dont...but what good coaches do is when you dont have it you try and minimize the weakness as much as you can and work with his strengths till you can move on....nagy has fought tooth and nail in changing his scheme to cater more to trubisky's strengths. trubisky is a bust, no denying it from what we've seen the last 2 seasons.

to nagy his scheme is more important than the players - this is why he'll never be a good head coach...

you also cant deny just how poor nagy was in play execution and holding people accountable...he has shown zero ability to elevate his team. look at the top coaches in the league, they have balance in run, pass execution no matter how bad the run is. nagy doesnt care, if his RB isnt getting yards, nagy gets pass happy and its good old 40-50 passes a game...

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
General Lazor is a Saint and i will not have this slander.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Texans fired their coach this year and still have fewer wins than the Bears. So let's hold back on touting Watson's success.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
your really a nagy fanboy arent ya, new thread, same story...

who wanted foles, the statue? was it pace or nagy?

your right though, there are QB's that transcend scheme but there are also QB's that need the right scheme to thrive. Tannenhill is such an example that shows what its like to be in a shit show scheme and then be in one that used your strengths and now has him playing some of the best football in his career.

i dont disagree about having it or not because it is true, you either have it or you dont...but what good coaches do is when you dont have it you try and minimize the weakness as much as you can and work with his strengths till you can move on....nagy has fought tooth and nail in changing his scheme to cater more to trubisky's strengths. trubisky is a bust, no denying it from what we've seen the last 2 seasons.

to nagy his scheme is more important than the players - this is why he'll never be a good head coach...

you also cant deny just how poor nagy was in play execution and holding people accountable...he has shown zero ability to elevate his team. look at the top coaches in the league, they have balance in run, pass execution no matter how bad the run is. nagy doesnt care, if his RB isnt getting yards, nagy gets pass happy and its good old 40-50 passes a game...

Tannehill had good years in Miami