Who is your nope, hard pass, DO NOT DRAFT guy?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
His speed allowed him to compensate for being out of position in college, but in the pros he won't have that luxury.
Something about tall lanky linebackers too. Even if they are going to be primarily off the ball guys it doesn't seem to work that well. A linebacker who can't scrap in the trenches isn't a linebacker. I think people are captivated by his sack numbers and let their imaginations get the best of them.

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Something about tall lanky linebackers too. Even if they are going to be primarily off the ball guys it doesn't seem to work that well. A linebacker who can't scrap in the trenches isn't a linebacker. I think people are captivated by his sack numbers and let their imaginations get the best of them.
Couldn't have said it better myself. In college his athleticism allowed him more time to diagnose plays, he is going to lose that an need to react faster in the pros. I just don't think he has the defensive acumen to be a great player. I think he will be above average based on his athleticism alone, but in order to be great he needs to get smarter.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Couldn't have said it better myself. In college his athleticism allowed him more time to diagnose plays, he is going to lose that an need to react faster in the pros. I just don't think he has the defensive acumen to be a great player. I think he will be above average based on his athleticism alone, but in order to be great he needs to get smarter.
Yeah, to me he's more a second round pick. Compare this profile to something like Leighton Vander Esch or Devin Bush and its not even close. There's a reason those guys are beasts.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Mac Jones and Kyle Trask.

Jones because there's zero chance he succeeds on the Bears. He'll need a really strong support system, O-Line, receivers, and good coaches. New England would be a good place for him, probably.

Trask because he absolutely will be a bust. He's not an NFL quarterback. Necro this thread in 4 years if I'm wrong, but that's not going to happen.

If you want to bet against two guys who threw for over 40 TDs each in an all-SEC schedule, go ahead. But for me they are my #2 and #3 QBs in this draft

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I agree that Trask would just be a wasted pick. At best, you're getting a guy to hold clipboard in camp. He doesn't even have the arm or mobility to play on the scout team or be a camp QB. It's hilarious to see how so many people who were dancing on his nuts a few months ago, one guy even saying it on a podcast, are like what was I seeing? What was I thinking?

I'm like, the dude was throwing to a generational offensive weapon in Pitts. Pitts would make consistent catches that nobody else could and Trask rode those coattails to the hype train.

Trask is getting alot of unwarranted hate leasing up to the draft. Im still of the opinion he is the 3rd best QB this draft.

Pitts is a good weapon. I dont think he will live up to a top 5 pick overall as he is projected. But keep in mind Trask spread the ball around quite a bit. Pitts had 770 yards of Trask 4,283 yards which us under 18%. That really isn't an over dependence on one guy. If anything Trask shown the ability to spread the ball and make good decisions in doing it. He methodically moved the ball on defenses. It amazes me the flack he is getting.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Trask is going to be drafted by the mid-2nd round and will never be a top tier NFL QB. He's not getting too much hate.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Trask is going to be drafted by the mid-2nd round and will never be a top tier NFL QB. He's not getting too much hate.
I completely agree. The dude had one year of starting between high school and college and might get drafted? Come on now. Let Minnesota draft him. I hope they draft him in the first!

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Stamos. No way would I want him on the Bears. Especially since he was macking Paula Abdul.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I completely agree. The dude had one year of starting between high school and college and might get drafted? Come on now. Let Minnesota draft him. I hope they draft him in the first!

It's not like he was sitting behind some scrub in high school. He sat behind Miami's starting QB, D'Eriq King.

If anything it speaks volumes about his loyalty to his team and willingness to stay in his role and work hard for his opportunity. Afterall when he did get his shot he delivered and was in the Heisman race most of this past season. Dude literally was averaging 4-5 Tds most the year. The fact he isn't considered a top 10 pick is undue hate.

I'd also give him credit for two collegiate seasons as he supplanted Felipe Franks and did so in fashion.

Look no further than Zach Wilson and Trey Lance if you want one year wonders.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Kyle Trask. It would be the most Bears-y move they could possibly make. I hate everything about his game and physical profile.

Do you hate how he averaged 4 Tds most games? Or how he was 2nd in yards thrown this years? I dont get it?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It's not like he was sitting behind some scrub in high school. He sat behind Miami's starting QB, D'Eriq King.

If anything it speaks volumes about his loyalty to his team and willingness to stay in his role and work hard for his opportunity. Afterall when he did get his shot he delivered and was in the Heisman race most of this past season. Dude literally was averaging 4-5 Tds most the year. The fact he isn't considered a top 10 pick is undue hate.

I'd also give him credit for two collegiate seasons as he supplanted Felipe Franks and did so in fashion.

I absolutely agree with you about Lance and Wilson.

Trask is a hard pass for me. He’ll be a great coach and athletic director someday with that tenacity and loyalty.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I won't criticize him for not starting over another D1 QB ahead of him in HS. But I sure as hell am not giving him credit for not abandoning the team!

He had great stats in 2020. It is not "hate" to not draft him into the NFL in the Top 10 based on his college stats! It's not an award. It's a new job.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Just get a QBs who is worth a damn please. Don’t care about anything else just get it right.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mac Jones and Kyle Trask.

Jones because there's zero chance he succeeds on the Bears. He'll need a really strong support system, O-Line, receivers, and good coaches. New England would be a good place for him, probably.

Trask because he absolutely will be a bust. He's not an NFL quarterback. Necro this thread in 4 years if I'm wrong, but that's not going to happen.

Even Draft Dr Phil has a massive chubby for Mac Jones. I get it, but 100% agree with Toast here. He could be the next Mahommes who kicks ass on the right team with the best of supports, but likely = a Rex Grossman in Chi. Especially with the Nagy factor.

...this applies to several prospects...

I say that and would LOVE to be proven wrong by success!!! ...but even my optimistic ass has no reason to trust Nagy at this point until proven otherwise. It really sucks that I can't be excited to take a flier on prospects with higher upside because of non-trust in player development to avoid the bust floor.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I won't criticize him for not starting over another D1 QB ahead of him in HS. But I sure as hell am not giving him credit for not abandoning the team!

He had great stats in 2020. It is not "hate" to not draft him into the NFL in the Top 10 based on his college stats! It's not an award. It's a new job.

Ok, but name another QB that played in the SEC or similar competition, had similar stats as him, and was talked of falling in the 2nd rd to the 3rd rd.

Keep in mind if it was a regular year he could have easily thrown for over 50 Tds.

Ok, maybe some think he will struggle to transition to the NFL due to lack of mobility and would drop him out the too 10. Ok. But thats not what is happening. From the sounds of the majority pm this board would be pissed if we drafted him in the 2nd!

REALLY?!? I fail to understand this. You dont get the stats he did by accident. Not in the SEC. Not even at Florida who has been mostly mediocre the last decade. He deserves more respect than being talked of as a mid rd prospect