Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Jarron Gilbert

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Currently, Mark Anderson is at the top of the Bears Left Defensive-End Depth. But I'm starting to wonder if he can get the job done, like his rookie season. What do you think?

Last edited:

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we should've kept Alex Brown personally, but with what we have, I like Anderson if he can man up and quit pass rushing every damn down and opening up the spot off the left tackle. It's wide open on the run.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
We should have kept Alex Brown 100%.

However I hope that Anderson/Idonije will be able to hold it down. I believe they will because Idonije keeps progressively getting better. Marinelli will make sure Anderson plays at a higher level.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Corey Wooten should be the Bears starting LE. Anderson is nothing more than a situational pass rusher

Reactions: X

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Corey Wooten should be the Bears starting LE. Anderson is nothing more than a situational pass rusher

I whole-heartedly agree with every word of this statement.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think we should've kept Alex Brown personally, but with what we have, I like Anderson if he can man up and quit pass rushing every damn down and opening up the spot off the left tackle. It's wide open on the run.

You know what might help that? A true 3-technique tackle who's groin isn't held in place by staples.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
I <3 Tommie.

Chitown

Liked Posts:
Lefty you can't deny that when Tommie is healthy he is without a doubt of the top interior lineman in the NFL. And this year he looks to be healthier than he has been in a long time. And I think the addition of Julius will only rejuvinate him more.

As for the question. I would like to Idonije, however, if Corey Wooton ends up being healthy and dominate as he was in college his junior year, I would like to see him get a shot.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like Anderson to start ... to start with, but I want to see Idonije doing a lot of subbing. And eventually, give most of the plays to however is performing better.

Of course after the preseason games, I may think differently. I'm excited to see what Wooten can do now that he is (allegedly) completely healed.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Lefty you can't deny that when Tommie is healthy he is without a doubt of the top interior lineman in the NFL. And this year he looks to be healthier than he has been in a long time. And I think the addition of Julius will only rejuvinate him more.

Yes, when he was healthy he was the very definition of the kind of DT you want for the Tampa 2. The only thing is, he hasn't been healthy for awhile, he's really bad when he's not healthy, and I don't know how he can return to the level of health necessary for continued success when the tendons and ligaments in his legs aren't attached to the bone naturally anymore.

Yeah, he was great (when not injured) from '06 to '07....that in no way should be a reason to not criticize him for being hurt/bad.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lefty, do you think Tommie was giving 100% last year, and his weak performance was just the result of injuries? Should that be a concern this year? Clearly playing next to Peppers should improve his play, but do you think that will inspire him to give more effort (if he hasn't been doing so already?)

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Lefty, do you think Tommie was giving 100% last year, and his weak performance was just the result of injuries? Should that be a concern this year? Clearly playing next to Peppers should improve his play, but do you think that will inspire him to give more effort (if he hasn't been doing so already?)

I don't know how hard he was trying, to be honest, and frankly, it doesn't matter. If he was bad because he wasn't trying his best, then that's a problem (then there is nothing to prevent that laziness manifesting in other bad performances); and if he was bad because he was injured, that's also a problem.

And playing next to a great DE in the Cover 2 isn't supposed to make the tackle better, that's not how it works. The tackle is the one that is supposed to control his gap, suck up two linemen and get the end in one-on-one situations with the offensive tackle or tight end, making it easier for the DE.

Chitown

Liked Posts:
Personally, I think tommie can return to form, if the last few games of last season are any indication at least. Here's to hoping!

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
The tackle is the one that is supposed to control his gap, suck up two linemen and get the end in one-on-one situations with the offensive tackle or tight end, making it easier for the DE.

Agreed. I understand that's how it's supposed to work, but I gotta think Peppers is gonna get double teamed some, which should help Harris out.

I seem to remember Tommie was benched a week or so last season, (allegedly because he was too banged up to practice) and he seemed to play somewhat better following that. If that was done because he was playing hurt then that's fine, but if it was just to motivate him to play harder, then that's something I think the coaches need to address.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I understand that's how it's supposed to work, but I gotta think Peppers is gonna get double teamed some, which should help Harris out.

That is assuming that defenses view Harris as someone that does not need to be double-teamed. The idea of having a great d-line in the Tampa 2 is to force the opponent's o-line to make a choice between doubling down on the 3-technique (leaving the end one-on-one with the tackle/tight end or even free passageway into the backfield) or taking the chance of leaving the 3-technique one-on-one in favor of doubling the end. If the DT isn't good enough to either beat the guard or command a double team, the end is going to have troubles getting into the backfield.

So, in a way, having Peppers lining up next to Harris could make things easier on Tommie, but in the end the success or failure of the pass rush will be his (Harris') burden to bear.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
My guess would be Anderson since he was given the shot over Brown in the past, but I am most intrigued by seeing Idonije on the outside. I never really liked him lined up inside last year so I'm curious to see what he can do on the outside.

And as for the Tommie Harris talk, I agree that the notion of having Peppers there will help out Tommie is in reverse. Elevated play from Tommie will make Peppers' job a lot easier. But, what this discussion makes me think of again is why have the Bears still not gone out and gotten a big DT to put next to Tommie. He has never played at the level he did when he had a big guy like Tank Johnson next to him. I know cover-2 calls for smaller guys but Jesus, does no one in the organization realize that we never got as much pressure on the QB as when we had Tank Johnson occupying blockers on the line. Go out and get a bigger DT to put next to Tommie JA!

Manticore

Liked Posts:

Technically Anderson improved vastly in the running game,statistically speaking and the football "sabremetrics"(which seem to be getting more popular) indicate that he was "good" against the run last year.

Time to play the waiting game, I don't mind the defensive end spot being rotated because there seems to be enough balance with Idonije and Anderson,and hopefully Melton or Gilbert can contribute.

regoob2

Liked Posts:
Alex Brown sucks. If a tampa 2 DEs best quality is deflecting passes then no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.