dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You backload it a little so that it gets bigger when Burton is cut in 2021.

Desperate times.

The only thing that would make me nervous is that he's been playing with M.Ryan on a team that throws the ball a ton and M.Trubisky ain't no Matty Ice. Can Nagy call the plays to make it worth paying Hooper that much money? Burton did well his first year with us and Hooper is better than he is, but he's bigger and not as fast but he's all around better. How's his blocking? It's gotta be better then Burton but that's not saying much.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only thing that would make me nervous is that he's been playing with M.Ryan on a team that throws the ball a ton and M.Trubisky ain't no Matty Ice. Can Nagy call the plays to make it worth paying Hooper that much money? Burton did well his first year with us and Hooper is better than he is, but he's bigger and not as fast but he's all around better. How's his blocking? It's gotta be better then Burton but that's not saying much.

I think he is a more complete TE.

He is not perfect and he is not a Travis Kelce. But he is the best and most proven player at the Bears biggest position of concern.

Week 1 he is starting and contributing.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Bears aren't signing a tight end(unless it's an under the radar guy) or WR or OT or starting QB.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Burton was the best blocking TE of 2018.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The TE position already has 8 million in Burton. You want to push that number to nearly 20 million on a position that has less than 100 catches for all players over 2 seasons?

2 seasons has proven that the KC lite isn't working here in Chicago. Throwing more money down that hole is stupid.

The focal pieces of the offense are A-Rob, Monty and Cohen. Either get a lineman to make those 3 better or put the money into a pass rusher.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Tight Ends more than any other position is the hardest to translate. Check out all the top tight ends rookie numbers. You'd be surprised. I think Evan Engram putting together a decent rookie season but that is it.

If the Bears want production from tight end next year they have to look at FA.

Kittle 43-515
Fant 40-562
D. Allen 45-521
J Reed 45-499

Don't know what you guys are expecting, but those are very solid numbers for a TE, much less a rookie. Especially when you consider Robinson put up nearly 100/1200 and Anthony Miller had a 6-game sample size that projects to 88/1150. when his QB play was decent toward the end of the season. It's not like you wait 2-3 years and every TE turns into Travis Kelce or George Kittle. And say what you want about Nagy's offense being centered around the TE.....Trubisky played better (the last 2 years) when the TE was just a complimentary part of the offense.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
My #1 target would be Brandon Scherff. The Bears have to sign a RG. They dont' have a starting RG on the roster and a rookie RG paired with a still developing LG and next to a mediocre RT, who missed half this season is not ideal.

Sign a veteran RG. Draft an OT early. If Massie gets hurt, you aren't stuck with an all unproven right side (rookies, Bars, Coward would conceivably at 2 spots).

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't think he wants to come here but if there is the slightest chance Tom Bradys agent will talk to Pace, Pace should be on one knee begging...
behind what Offense line? please elaborate.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Burton was the best blocking TE of 2018.

I think you fell asleep on your keyboard again cause it's typing weird stuff that doesn't make sense...LOL

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
My #1 target would be Brandon Scherff. The Bears have to sign a RG. They dont' have a starting RG on the roster and a rookie RG paired with a still developing LG and next to a mediocre RT, who missed half this season is not ideal.

Sign a veteran RG. Draft an OT early. If Massie gets hurt, you aren't stuck with an all unproven right side (rookies, Bars, Coward would conceivably at 2 spots).

My only concern with Scherff is the recent injury history. I’d prefer Glasgow.

As for FA, my hope is they release Floyd and sign a proven vet OLB that can actually produce.

Would like Hooper, but I think we will be outbid. Pray Burton can keep it together at least a little bit next season.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
But if we got one of Hooper or Henry and Burton came into next season that would make a huge difference to our offense just with that.
That assumes Hooper is the real deal. Far from a slam dunk.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
For me it would be TE Austin Hooper from Atlanta.

There are interior lineman that are better, but there are far fewer TEs and they take longer to make an immediate impact.

The Bears need a starting TE week 1 and that is a lot to ask of a rookie. The Bears arguably have the worst TE group in the NFL in an offense that is based around the TE.
I mean what can go wrong? Targeting a pass catching TE who's numbers are a bit inflated due to playing situation (Falcons are down and play in a high scoring division). Also, it's the perfect time to bring him in because his value has never been higher. Sort of one of those 'buy high' deals that might just work out...

This will be much better than Burton, who was also a pass catching TE who on a situation basis (injury fill in) had his best performances leading into his free agent year.

Hooper will cost AT LEAST $8M/season (that's what Trey got). Actually Sportrac does a nice little analysis of higher end FAs and they estimate his annual compensation will be $9.9M.

I don't have one guy to target, but here's some names l like:

TE Eric Ebron - He'll be cheaper than Hooper by hopefully over $2M/season and is a better blocker. Estimated cost = $7M/season.

TE Charles Clay - Still only 30, but might be past his prime, but he could easily replace Burton. Estimated cost = $2M/season.

G/T Halapoulivaati Vaitai - He's not blowing anyone away, but is a reliable RT who is better as a guard. Just as a reminder, he was their RT for all of their playoff/Superbowl run in 2017. There is a chance someone could pay him a Massie type contract, but somehow I doubt it. Estimated cost = $7M/season.

G Xavier Su'a-Filo - Filled in nicely when Martin went down. He does have a lot of starts with Houston, so the coaches will know what he can/cannot do. Estimated cost = $2M/season.

FS/SS Tre Boston - He's a good vet whom I think would do well surrounded by better talent. Estimated cost = $2.5M/season.

CB/S Byron Jones - He's really coming off a poor season, but there's a lot of talent there. Cowboys have $80+ cap space, but a lot of holes they have to fill. Estimated cost = $8M/season (as an FYI if the Eagles signed him I'd like that. That's EXTREMELY RARE for me to say about any Cowboy).

CB Bradley Roby - He signed a one year 'prove it' deal and got hurt. IMHO this is a 'buy low' opportunity. Estimated cost = $6M/season.

RB Isaiah Crowell - He's only 26 years old and has performed well in a variety of roles. One thing I like is in 1000 touches he has 6 fumbles. He's a safe backup who can be a jack of all trades. Estimated cost = $2M/season.

QB Nate Sudfeld - Until he got hurt the team was very high on him and he looked really good. After that they signed McCown and committed to having him as the backup. Eagles are interested in extending him, but he's only 26 and probably wants a better opportunity to become the starter. Estimated cost = $5M/season.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
The OL looked worse than they were thanks to the undecided one behind them.

Yes, mitch is the reason we have on of the worst olines in football. Gotcha.

He is also the reason why we give up pressures faster than nearly every team in the league.

Also the reason why we couldn't get a running game going for 2 years now. Only reason we ranked favorably last year was due to mitch.

lol this is getting absurd now, mitch sucks but people are blaming literally everything on dude.

This oline is not very good. They can be average in the passing game at times, then others give up a sack on the first move.

They get zero push in the run game. Not very many QB's in this league can succeed with a run game like that.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Yes, mitch is the reason we have on of the worst olines in football. Gotcha.

He is also the reason why we give up pressures faster than nearly every team in the league.

Also the reason why we couldn't get a running game going for 2 years now. Only reason we ranked favorably last year was due to mitch.

lol this is getting absurd now, mitch sucks but people are blaming literally everything on dude.

This oline is not very good. They can be average in the passing game at times, then others give up a sack on the first move.

They get zero push in the run game. Not very many QB's in this league can succeed with a run game like that.

You are arguing the obvious.

You are doing your best just to get them to acknowledge reality so you can argue or make your point.

They are still parroting some delusional doomsday scenario as if thats rereality

My point is. Dont argue with someone who hasnt acknowledged reality yet.

You: " yes mitch has problems but if we could fix"

Them: "The reason the bears were 8-8 came down to one guy fucking it up for everyone."

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I mean what can go wrong? Targeting a pass catching TE who's numbers are a bit inflated due to playing situation (Falcons are down and play in a high scoring division). Also, it's the perfect time to bring him in because his value has never been higher. Sort of one of those 'buy high' deals that might just work out...

This will be much better than Burton, who was also a pass catching TE who on a situation basis (injury fill in) had his best performances leading into his free agent year.

Hooper will cost AT LEAST $8M/season (that's what Trey got). Actually Sportrac does a nice little analysis of higher end FAs and they estimate his annual compensation will be $9.9M.

I don't have one guy to target, but here's some names l like:

TE Eric Ebron - He'll be cheaper than Hooper by hopefully over $2M/season and is a better blocker. Estimated cost = $7M/season.

TE Charles Clay - Still only 30, but might be past his prime, but he could easily replace Burton. Estimated cost = $2M/season.

G/T Halapoulivaati Vaitai - He's not blowing anyone away, but is a reliable RT who is better as a guard. Just as a reminder, he was their RT for all of their playoff/Superbowl run in 2017. There is a chance someone could pay him a Massie type contract, but somehow I doubt it. Estimated cost = $7M/season.

G Xavier Su'a-Filo - Filled in nicely when Martin went down. He does have a lot of starts with Houston, so the coaches will know what he can/cannot do. Estimated cost = $2M/season.

FS/SS Tre Boston - He's a good vet whom I think would do well surrounded by better talent. Estimated cost = $2.5M/season.

CB/S Byron Jones - He's really coming off a poor season, but there's a lot of talent there. Cowboys have $80+ cap space, but a lot of holes they have to fill. Estimated cost = $8M/season (as an FYI if the Eagles signed him I'd like that. That's EXTREMELY RARE for me to say about any Cowboy).

CB Bradley Roby - He signed a one year 'prove it' deal and got hurt. IMHO this is a 'buy low' opportunity. Estimated cost = $6M/season.

RB Isaiah Crowell - He's only 26 years old and has performed well in a variety of roles. One thing I like is in 1000 touches he has 6 fumbles. He's a safe backup who can be a jack of all trades. Estimated cost = $2M/season.

QB Nate Sudfeld - Until he got hurt the team was very high on him and he looked really good. After that they signed McCown and committed to having him as the backup. Eagles are interested in extending him, but he's only 26 and probably wants a better opportunity to become the starter. Estimated cost = $5M/season.
Thank you. Hooper is will be so overpriced and overvalued.