Who ya got?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Using Daniel Jeremiah’s latest mock draft, let’s eliminate the first 16 selections as unattainable for the Bears (went with 16 instead of a rounded 15 because feel that Jaylen Waddle would have been too much of a no brainer selection at #20):

QB1 - Trevor Lawrence
QB2 - Zach Wilson
QB3 - Mac Jones
QB4 - Trey Lance
TE1 - Kyle Pitts
WR1 - Ja’Marr Chase
QB5 - Justin Fields
OT1 - Rashawn Slater
OT2 - Penei Sewell
EDGE1 - Kwity Paye
WR2 - DeVonta Smith
CB1 - Patrick Surtain
CB2 - Jaycee Horn
EDGE2 - Jaelen Phillips
ILB1 - Micah Parsons
WR3 - Jaylen Waddle

What’s your pick and why?

Last edited:

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Darrisaw. No brainer.

The 4 most important positions in football are:
1) QB by a mile.
2) LT to protect that QB.
3) Edge to go get that QB.
4) Shut down CB to take away a number one WR threat.

After the top 5 QB’s, the next group of Mond, Mills, Trask don’t really excite. Probably wouldn’t even invest a second round. If one of those fell to the third, I’d highly consider.

Bears are over invested at Edge, so that is out of consideration.

So down to LT and a #1 CB.
To me, Darrisaw is the full package. It’s been forever since the Bears have had a legit top end LT. Run to the podium, announce Darrisaw and forget about LT for the next decade.

Round 2 is where it gets interesting. There’s only a handful of CB’s that interest me. If one of them unlikely drops, that’s the ticket for round 2. Otherwise WR might be what is left on the board that would provide good value.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Darrisaw. No brainer.

1) QB by a mile.

After the top 5 QB’s, the next group of Mond, Mills, Trask don’t really excite. Probably wouldn’t even invest a second round. If one of those fell to the third, I’d highly consider.

To me, Darrisaw is the full package. It’s been forever since the Bears have had a legit top end LT. Run to the podium, announce Darrisaw and forget about LT for the next decade.

Round 2 is where it gets interesting. There’s only a handful of CB’s that interest me. If one of them unlikely drops, that’s the ticket for round 2. Otherwise WR might be what is left on the board that would provide good value.

Let me test your premise a little bit here. If I cut Jeremiah’s list off at 15 and Jaylen Waddle was available, would your selection remain the same?

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Let me test your premise a little bit here. If I cut Jeremiah’s list off at 15 and Jaylen Waddle was available, would your selection remain the same?

It would stay the same. Mainly because I think Darrisaw is the full package.
Where my logic becomes problematic is if Darrisaw is off the board and Waddle is available.
To me, there is a drop off after Darrisaw.
Then I’d look at CB3 vs Waddle. I’d probably go CB3 over Waddle as well. This draft is loaded with WR talent in all rounds.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
For me it’s Darrisaw too. Leno’s availability is admirable but his lack of high level execution is a big factor in offensive drives breaking down.

Farley is a no go because of his back. It’s tough to do anything with a bad back let alone play football.

Jenkins is the next guy for me because he’s an excellent player, he’s a great athlete for his position and he plays with a nasty attitude.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m taking Darrisaw and if Jenkins slips into round 2 (which I believe DJ had predicted) I’d try and trade up and grab him too.

I know we payed Ifedi to start but if the opportunity presented itself to upgrade both tackles and have a really young skilled OL I personally would jump at it. Try and trade Leno for a mid to late round pick or release him. Ifedi would be first man off the bench and “TE” in heavy packages that way his $4.5 is justified.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Hard not to go OL if the draft falls like that. Darrisaw would be a great pick, and even if he “flops” should be better than Leno. But Farley (CB) should be under consideration too.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Darrisaw. No brainer.

1) QB by a mile.

And this is what makes me think long and hard about going CB in rd 1. You get a shutdown corner, snd can still get a decent OL prospect in rd 2. WR in 3, and QB project after.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
It would be hard for me to pass on Darrisaw if he were available at 20 but:
1.) I don't think he'll be there
2.) I think that Pace and Nagy have a much more favorable view of Leno than most others have

Personally, I think Pace goes either cornerback or wide receiver at #20

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
If these are the first 16 gone, I'd need to see the next 3 because there's no way you trade up if this is how it falls. I'd go...

1) Darrisaw. Really don't need to explain further than some before me already have.

2) Greg Newsome. Burns/Trufant/Vildor/Tre Roberson (still on the Chicagobears website roster)/Teez Tabor/Xavier Crawford are the guys you have to find a CB2 and nickel. Yeah, nobody on this list excites me and since letting Fuller go this will be a problem especially if JJ can't play 16 games. Farley has injury issues, Melonfonwu from Syracuse (spelling?) IMO would be a reach at 20, Asante Samuel Jr. is "5'10" and tackles like Brandon Merriweather/some suggest his best position is a highly effective man-coverage nickel--which is also a need but at 20 you draft an outside CB, not a nickel.

3) Jalen Mayfield. I prefer Darrisaw to Mayfield, but Mayfield checks every box when you look for a LT prospect in college. Great footwork, has handled elite college pass rushers, great hands, great measurables, and played both OT spots. The only thing not sexy is the position he plays because fans with fractional attention spans would rather fawn over the QB or how U of Michigan has been atrocious as a team overall.

4) Rashod Bateman. I'd consider Bateman if there's an Allen Robinson trade.

5) Tevin Jenkins. Even though he's LT option 1C, he's an instant plug/play at RT and makes the OLine less of a problem, but it'll still have Leno/problems.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My preference would be Darrisaw. This is the perfect draft for the Bears to finally invest a high round draft pick in an OT - they have avoided doing that for far to long. It's chalked full of talent and at the Bears current position of 20, they are going to be out of the mix for a QB or game changing WR type.

I know some are saying CB here, but I think this is why Pace signed Trufant. He didn't want his hand to be forced in the first round and I would hope he realizes that the Bears need to invest in some assets on the offensive side of the ball.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
There are major concerns about Darrisaw's character, with him giving up on plays and then opting out of 2020. Although very talented, I cannot draft a player that I think will not give it his all at the next level. Those guys are busts waiting to happen.

I am taking Teven Jenkins, and with a somewhat more limited ceiling, I feel he is someone that can solidify the right side of the line and fill a big position of need in the future.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If these are the first 16 gone, I'd need to see the next 3 because there's no way you trade up if this is how it falls. I'd go...

1) Darrisaw. Really don't need to explain further than some before me already have.

2) Greg Newsome. Burns/Trufant/Vildor/Tre Roberson (still on the Chicagobears website roster)/Teez Tabor/Xavier Crawford are the guys you have to find a CB2 and nickel. Yeah, nobody on this list excites me and since letting Fuller go this will be a problem especially if JJ can't play 16 games. Farley has injury issues, Melonfonwu from Syracuse (spelling?) IMO would be a reach at 20, Asante Samuel Jr. is "5'10" and tackles like Brandon Merriweather/some suggest his best position is a highly effective man-coverage nickel--which is also a need but at 20 you draft an outside CB, not a nickel.

3) Jalen Mayfield. I prefer Darrisaw to Mayfield, but Mayfield checks every box when you look for a LT prospect in college. Great footwork, has handled elite college pass rushers, great hands, great measurables, and played both OT spots. The only thing not sexy is the position he plays because fans with fractional attention spans would rather fawn over the QB or how U of Michigan has been atrocious as a team overall.

4) Rashod Bateman. I'd consider Bateman if there's an Allen Robinson trade.

5) Tevin Jenkins. Even though he's LT option 1C, he's an instant plug/play at RT and makes the OLine less of a problem, but it'll still have Leno/problems.
Mayfields arm length and poor testing numbers could easily see him slide into round two because some will question whether he'd be better off at OG in the league. Sub 33 inch arms is a pretty big red flag for LT prospects. I personally love the player as well.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Darrisaw. There is no other pick. If he’s gone, trade down, let someone else take a WR at 20.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If those are the 1st 16 off the board, my draft board (in order) is:

1. Christian Darrisaw- top 10 talent to me. Bears need to cut cap to even sign draft picks. Leno is an easy cut if you get Darrisaw.
2. Greg Newsome II- I'm going to start a thread about him one day soon. But the CB and SS are the only positions the Bears don't have a guaranteed starter with guaranteed money on his contract.
3. Rashod Bateman- Had an Allen Robinson comp from me, but that's when I thought he was 6'2, 210. At 6'+, 190lbs at his pro day and sub 4.4 speed, I actually like him more WITH Robinson than as a potential replacement. Can play the slot or outside.
4. Samuel Cosmi- Also think he's a day 1 starter at LT in the Bears zone run game.

I also like Teven Jenkins, Caleb Farley and Terrace Marshall, but I don't think any are great fits for what the Bears want to do (this is a knock on the Bears because if Jenkins doesn't fit, it's a shit offense).

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Mayfields arm length and poor testing numbers could easily see him slide into round two because some will question whether he'd be better off at OG in the league. Sub 33 inch arms is a pretty big red flag for LT prospects. I personally love the player as well.

Agreed. One of my draft crushes. Love his play and potential. He had a poor pro day though and there's no way he goes in the 1st round now. He's also only played a little bit of LT and Michigan didn't want him there and moved him to RT permanently, so I don't think he even has a future at LT.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Agreed. One of my draft crushes. Love his play and potential. He had a poor pro day though and there's no way he goes in the 1st round now. He's also only played a little bit of LT and Michigan didn't want him there and moved him to RT permanently, so I don't think he even has a future at LT.
For sure. To that point if I'm looking into fill the RT spot I'm taking Jenkins and not looking back. Their style of play is similar but Jenkins is the superior athlete.