Who's the best Rock Band of all time and why is it Led Zeppelin?

Who's The Best Rock Band of All Time

• Led Zeppelin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Led Zeppelin!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The great Derrick Trucks soloing at 2:44. Starts slow and builds in urgency and momentuem

Granada

Liked Posts:
I always see people bringing up Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, and The Wall (Comfortably Numb) are their faves -- which is fine -- but as far as Gilmour specifically, Echoes (off Meddle) is his masterpiece in my view; and Fearless is just a fantastic song also. And his work on Animals may be his best next to WYWH. I guess my point is, Comfortably Numb is waayyy far down the list as being his best work -- it's good, yeah, but there are so many other greater songs.

If you don't know Meddle, listen to it -- that's when Floyd became Floyd. One of These Days is still the one song that gets me so jacked up. Waters said it's the album where the band finally learned how to "use" their instruments (after Barrett's departure).

Also, The Final Cut is an album that pretty much was a Waters solo album with Floyd (minus Wright) as his backing band, but there are some great songs on that as well -- but Gilmour's talents aren't showcased much on it (with the exception maybe being Not Now John -- another awesome song).

Point being: check out the shadier stuff other than the popular albums.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Imagine arguing that Picasso was better than Manet or Michelangelo better than da Vinci or ..... It is art. It is subjective. Stop it.

Right, and there are so many variables. For example, Kurt Cobain -- quite honestly, his guitar-playing ability (from a general and technical standpoint) sucked, but for me, he's one of my favorite guitarists and musicians. His technique was amateur enough that a 12 year old could get his tunes down pact, but there's a beauty in that simplicity, even if his chord structure wasn't complicated. Elliott Smith is another -- his ability is quite amateurish, but I'd still consider him a genius and very influential.

Then you have a guy like Trey Anastasio -- technical as hell, but for many people who aren't into the Jam genre, they think he's shit. I've always really liked Phish, but their music doesn't invoke any deep emotion in me really, whereas Nirvana does. It's the same exact thing with any art.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I always see people bringing up Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, and The Wall (Comfortably Numb) are their faves -- which is fine -- but as far as Gilmour specifically, Echoes (off Meddle) is his masterpiece in my view; and Fearless is just a fantastic song also. And his work on Animals may be his best next to WYWH. I guess my point is, Comfortably Numb is waayyy far down the list as being his best work -- it's good, yeah, but there are so many other greater songs.

If you don't know Meddle, listen to it -- that's when Floyd became Floyd. One of These Days is still the one song that gets me so jacked up. Waters said it's the album where the band finally learned how to "use" their instruments (after Barrett's departure).

Also, The Final Cut is an album that pretty much was a Waters solo album with Floyd (minus Wright) as his backing band, but there are some great songs on that as well -- but Gilmour's talents aren't showcased much on it (with the exception maybe being Not Now John -- another awesome song).

Kudos! Been trying to turn people on to Meddle forever.... extremely underappreciated...

Granada

Liked Posts:
Kudos! Been trying to turn people on to Meddle forever.... extremely underappreciated...

Yup it's amazing how many Floyd fans don't know or appreciate this album. Some of the transition stuff between the Barrett era and the Waters era is tough to stomach, but that album is fantastic. Others (Saucerful, Atom Heart Mother, etc.) have their moments but Meddle is the album when they finally figured it out, according to Waters.

I also love the Barrett era. Now that's tough to get people on board with, lol. I've never been able to convince anyone who already didn't like Barrett -- everyone I've tried to convince never does. But Piper is solid and he created some fantastic stuff in his career, particularly his solo stuff.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I finally gave my first crack at Zepplin karaoke on Fort Myers Beach not too long ago. Not perfect by any means, nor is it the best LZ song, but not bad for my first attempt I feel. ?‍♂️

Dying Cats Karaoke on Facebook Watch

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

I remember the first time I heard Meddle, I was absolutely blown away. I love one of these days. It's funny because a buddy and I were having this discussion not to long ago and said the same thing about Meddle. That's when Floyd became Floyd. And Animals certainly competes with WYWH as my favorite Floyd album. I might interchange them based on the day. Just amazing from beginning to end.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yup it's amazing how many Floyd fans don't know or appreciate this album. Some of the transition stuff between the Barrett era and the Waters era is tough to stomach, but that album is fantastic. Others (Saucerful, Atom Heart Mother, etc.) have their moments but Meddle is the album when they finally figured it out, according to Waters.

I also love the Barrett era. Now that's tough to get people on board with, lol. I've never been able to convince anyone who already didn't like Barrett -- everyone I've tried to convince never does. But Piper is solid and he created some fantastic stuff in his career, particularly his solo stuff.

The Barrett era is jarring when you're used to the refined Floyd era. Actually, it's how I found Meddle, I was interested in hearing the Syd Barrett stuff and came across Meddle. Also, as much as I love WYWH and Animals, my favorite song from Floyd is Time. Shit starts to hit pretty hard once you age.

Bust

Liked Posts:
yes. Credit GTA ONLINE <Greatest Game Ever> for introducing me to this tune.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Final Cut is my favorite Floyd album.
It's not the best but it always just fucking grabs me.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The shit he does is crazy. He's got that guitar pick on his thumb too. You play? What kind of guitar you got? Right now, I still have my Washburn HSS. Nothing fancy, but it's actually a pretty solid guitar. Easy to play. Really wish I never stopped, or that I would've hassled my parents about lessons back when I was 14. Definitely gonna get a new one though. I'm leaning towards this:

Want to give it a play.
Not into guitars but looks like a Strat. Better? The passive tone controls will just be a couple parts connected to one the end of a pot.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
10 reasons why Get Your Ya Yas out (featuring the great Mick Taylor) is the greatest live album of all time

Granada

Liked Posts:
The Final Cut is my favorite Floyd album.
It's not the best but it always just fucking grabs me.

Yeah it's solid. The songs are extremely "heavy" in a sad way, but that makes them great. I'd argue it's the darkest and most depressing Floyd album, and that's saying something after The Wall, lol.

Forgot who said it (maybe Waters), but it's been said that the Final Cut is a sequel to The Wall -- definitely hits on some of the same themes.