Who's the best Rock Band of all time and why is it Led Zeppelin?

Who's The Best Rock Band of All Time

• Led Zeppelin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Led Zeppelin!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is interesting. A Stones track from 1974 with Jimmy Page (just after Taylor left). Just released for the first time this year on a new remaster of Goat's Head Soup.

I have to admit, Watts's groove here is catchy.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This is interesting. A Stones track from 1974 with Jimmy Page (just after Taylor left). Just released for the first time this year on a new remaster of Goat's Head Soup.

I didn’t have the heart to tell him. remember the song “One Hit To The Body” from the ”Dirty Works” album? Page plays lead on the opening track. There is also a longer version of the song “ Heart of Stone” from the compilation album called “Metamorphosis” which features a young Jimmy Page on guitar.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I can’t for the life of me remember a great song by Mick Taylor after he left the Stones

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

It's interesting how many of the great musicians of the 60-70s all knew each other. They collaborated without pay, showed up at each other's recording sessions, stayed at their houses. Especially the English ones

THe Beatles and Stones knew each other and collaborated. Clapton, Leon Russell, Billy Preston, Ronnie Woods, Nicky Hopkins, Delany and Bonnie, Bobby Keys all ran in the same circles. While Page wasn't really in that circle, everyone knew him and he happily showed up at their sessions and jammed. There was plenty of opportunity for the Stone and Page to hook up. Otherwise they had little in common musically and any real collaboration didn't make sense. Richards was the Stones music director and ran the music portion of the band with an iron fist and he was not a big fan of Page

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I can’t for the life of me remember a great song by Mick Taylor after he left the Stones
Sadly, Taylor became a major heroin junkie afer he left the band and floated in and out of work and drugs for the next 30 years. He spent a few years with Bob Dylan doing studio work and guest musician performing blues with black blues men and various reunion stuff with John Mayall. He tried to form a band with Jack Bruce and that was a disaster. A life wasted

Richards was jealous of his skills and thought they were interchangeable as lead guitarists which is a joke. Listen to one of their most famous collaborations from Get Your Ya Yas Out. The first solo is Richards at 3:00. It then shifts to Taylor at 4:25. No comparison.

This is from a 1973 live perfromance of You Cant Always get What You want. Taylor and Richards give the perfect example of what Richard always called "weaving" between two guitarists. Stuff of genius

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I don't know man. The sun must have cooked your brane or something.
Metallica up to Justice was badass. I'll give them all the props in the world for that but let's look at releases.

1988 - And Justice For All
1988 - So Far So Good So What
Both great albums but So far is the more technical album.

1990 - Rust in Peace
1991 - Black Album
Enough fucking said.

1992 - Countdown to Extinction
Only half as good as Rust but still twice as good as Black album.

I loved Pantera when I was younger, saw them 6 times but Slayer and Anthrax are both far better bands.
Imagine being that wrong.

Metallica put a 4 album whooping on the Metal world from Kill em all through Justice. The Black album was their victory tour. Then they did their weird phase with load and reload. St anger was honestly their worst album but it was entirely redeemed by Death Magnetic. They made better music than Megadeth did throughout their entire career. Megadeth had its one redemption album with countdown, but overall they were the lesser band.

Also they tended to follow Metallica, so if you wanted an honest comparison I think it would look more like this.

Master of puppets vs So far So Good So What - Metallica Hands down
Justice Vs Rust - Uhhh Metallica
Black album Vs Countdown - I would say that countdown was the better metal album but the Black album was transcendent in terms of introducing new people to metal, and I would say that it actually made Countdown more famous simply because of the timing. Also, the number of mainstream hits on the black albums is rather astounding. I get that the hardcore fans were pissed about it, but it was not a sell out album, other than a sell out stadiums album maybe.

Lets not put Anthrax in the conversation with Pantera, that is just not ok.

I get there are Slayer fans and Pantera Fans, but I would say that while Slayer was the earlier more innovative band Pantera was the better band. I can listen to an entire Pantera album but every Slayer album gets repetitive.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Load and Reload are crapped on too much quite honestly. And their self titled album was great. People whine and complain too much. Good music is good music. Unless it's country. Country sucks.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Load and Reload are crapped on too much quite honestly. And their self titled album was great. People whine and complain too much. Good music is good music. Unless it's country. Country sucks.
After Black, I haven’t purchased any Metallica. Just felt like they were going thru the motion and capitalizing on their past fortunes. I agree with you...good music is good music but I will add that we all probably won’t ever agree 100% percent with each other. I do like some country songs......maybe about 20 but no more.

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
After Black, I haven’t purchased and Metallica. Just felt like they were going thru the motion and capitalizing on their past fortunes. I agree with you...good music is good music but I will add that we all probably won’t ever agree 100% percent with each other. I do like some country songs......maybe about 20 but no more.
You tube the death magnetic album by Metallica. It's a legit good album.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You tube the death magnetic album by Metallica. It's a legit good album.
I have heard it in its entirety. It just doesn’t do much for me compared to others.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Stones, AC/DC, and Credence are my favorites.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I have heard it in its entirety. It just doesn’t do much for me compared to others.

Death magnetic is fucking awesome. Metallica puts on a great live show.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It is what it is. Something about it just doesn’t do it for me. Not saying it isn’t good. I just prefer others before it. Kinda like the scorpions after Lovedrive, they were great albums after but I’m partial to Lovedrive.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I gave the love emoji for the fact that country sucks. Qualifying that by saying newer country...Hank Williams Sr, Patsy Cline, and of course Cash were the shit.

As to Metallica, I caught on to them early...my older brother had a skateboard magazine that talked up RTL enough for me to buy it with no knowledge of the band...I still have the vinyl because I caught it on Megaforce as they were selling the rights to Elektra...blew my fucking mind...loved Master, loved Justice, forced myself to like self titled, but really didn't. Believe to this day there is a solid album lurking in Load, but too much fluff. Reload no. Death Magnetic I purchased, listened to 5 times through trying to love, and gave it away and IMO they've been shit since. Actually have retreated a bit on Justice in my older age. RTL and Master are all-time brilliance for me, they never get old in any way.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Live show is a fact...saw them on Justice at UIC pavilion with Queensryche opening and performing Operation: Mindcrime in it's entirety.
3rd row at the World on self-titled. Fucking A, they kill it live

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is what it is. Something about it just doesn’t do it for me. Not saying it isn’t good. I just prefer others before it. Kinda like the scorpions after Lovedrive, they were great albums after but I’m partial to Lovedrive.
Gotta get some Scorpions again...saw them on the tour that became World Wide Live...great show.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Since this has morphed, IMO, Rust In Peace is Mustaine's Magnum Opus; it's his Master Of Puppets, since Megadeth will be forever linked to Metallica. Peace Sells is their RTL, and that's all that matters in the end. Neither ever approached the brilliance of those again.

Saw Megadeth on the Clash Of The Titans at the World....rotating headliners between Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth, with Alice In Chains opening every time. Megadeth had the headline when I was there, and Mustaine had the entire place on the stage or in the first 20 rows for the encore of "Anarchy In The UK." I did not make it on stage, but made it to the front row... security lost their shit, but in the end, everyone just rocked their asses off and no really did anything too stupid.