Whos your final HC candidate?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vrabel sucks? Flores isn't great but seems to be righting the ship in Miami, isn't he?
Vrabel wasn't part of the BB coaching tree. He was a player there but didn't coach under him. Flores might be the only one who seems ok so far, but wouldn't be surprised if he was fired next year

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Vrabel wasn't part of the BB coaching tree. He was a player there but didn't coach under him. Flores might be the only one who seems ok so far, but wouldn't be surprised if he was fired next year
I don’t think Flores is going anywhere next year. They had a rough first half but definitely have turned it around and playing well. If they actually go after a QB like Watson and the defense stays consistent, they could be legit.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I've always been intrigued by Dave Toub. His special teams are always excellent in production, innovative in their play and well organized. He always seems a step ahead of the competition.

So I think he has the skills to be an organizational manager as a head coach. He has also been around long enough to know good people to hire as coordinators and assistants.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Harbaugh uses analytics a ton to make these decisions. If the numbers didn't work, he wouldn't have gone for the tie.
The entire League has been aggressive with 4th downs and going for two point conversions, but when a single decision is the difference between winning, losing or tying, it has to be viewed in a different light.

It was a gutsy call, it just did not work out.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If the Bears don't get an offensive guy then they have the same issues Lovie had. If you hit on the OC they are gone in 1-2 years and if not the team sucks no matter how good the HC is. Balt and NE lucked out in their being able to keep a really good OC for several years to make multiple runs. I'd only want an offensive guy even if they have to pay top dollar. This hire is critical to the Bears move to the new stadium. If it costs 12-15 mill a year they should do it. Bears need to be winning during the move in 3-5 years from now.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Personally, I want to see them hire an experienced head coach (ie, a retread coach). Preferably one that has only had one previous stint as a head coach. So, they have that previous experience to learn from but have not yet shown that they really don't know how to win consistently (see: Fox, John).

So, with that in mind, I would want someone like a Josh McDaniels or Todd Bowles. Maybe with a very slight consideration for Doug Pederson. The pipe dream would be a Sean Payton if he shakes loose from New Orleans. The only college coach I would consider is Ryan Day just because of his connection to Fields and success with him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Someone who has a proven track record of developing a QB. Every guy will have a bad game from time to time, it's all about helping Fields realize his immense potential.
Everyone on the OP's list applies.

Daboll- Josh Allen
Roman- Lamar Jackson
Brady- Joe Burrow in college
Moore- has taken Dak Prescott to an MVP level
Turner- Taylor Heinecke looks like he might be a thing

The college guys, maybe not so much outside of Ryan Day obviously w/ Fields and looks like Stroud so far.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I would like someone who has worked for multiple coaching staffs.

I think people are too wrapped up in the HC having to be an offense guy instead of him just being a good HC. As long as we get a staff that maximizes the faces of our franchises I’m good with whomever

Anyone with experience in success is my wish list. This includes harbaugh, Tomlin, Payton, etc. Even if they're under contract or with another team already. Point is, experience with success!

Someone who has a proven track record of developing a QB. Every guy will have a bad game from time to time, it's all about helping Fields realize his immense potential.

Personally, I want to see them hire an experienced head coach (ie, a retread coach). Preferably one that has only had one previous stint as a head coach. So, they have that previous experience to learn from but have not yet shown that they really don't know how to win consistently (see: Fox, John).

So, with that in mind, I would want someone like a Josh McDaniels or Todd Bowles. Maybe with a very slight consideration for Doug Pederson. The pipe dream would be a Sean Payton if he shakes loose from New Orleans. The only college coach I would consider is Ryan Day just because of his connection to Fields and success with him.
I posted this in the last coaching thread, but.....

The consensus around the web (this site and Twitter) seems to be:

- Don't want the "hot" name just because he's the hot name
- Don't want a glorified playcaller who hasn't proved he's a leader
- Want someone with HC experience
- Someone with the potential to build a strong staff

The sneaky name that fits a lot of this criteria is Raheem Morris. People like Josh McDaniels and think he needs a second chance, but like McDaniels, Morris was a HC at a very young age and without a ton of experience. He was the outside the box candidate, who the Bucs was hoping would be their Mike Tomlin. He had a bad 1st year on a rebuilding team where he played 3 different QBs. He won 10 games his 2nd year with Josh Freeman having a huge year. Third year, they started 4-2 and then lost 10 straight to end the year and Freeman was a disaster. He got a chance as interim for Atlanta and went 4-7 after Dan Quinn started the year 0-5. 5 of the 7 losses were by less than 5 points.

The biggest issue is Morris couldn't build a staff back then. But since then, he's coached in Atlanta with Kyle Shanahan and the LaFleur brothers. He coached Leftwich his final year in Tampa. And he's now the DC for Sean McVay in LA. So he has ties to some of the top offensive minds in the league right now. Obviously, he's not getting any of those guys as his OC, but he certainly has a chance to pull in the next in the line of these type of OCs.

The Rams also have a bunch of interesting young coaches on their staff. Kevin O'Connell is the OC, but could be a guy that makes a lateral move simply because he would get a chance to call plays. Former NFL QB, who has a good future in coaching. They also have Zac Robinson on the staff who is a former NFL QB. Also have Wade Phillips' and Aaron Kromer's sons and Don Shula's grandson on their staffs. So there's a pretty good chance he would be a much better coach the 2nd time around.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I posted this in the last coaching thread, but.....

The consensus around the web (this site and Twitter) seems to be:

- Don't want the "hot" name just because he's the hot name
- Don't want a glorified playcaller who hasn't proved he's a leader
- Want someone with HC experience
- Someone with the potential to build a strong staff

The sneaky name that fits a lot of this criteria is Raheem Morris. People like Josh McDaniels and think he needs a second chance, but like McDaniels, Morris was a HC at a very young age and without a ton of experience. He was the outside the box candidate, who the Bucs was hoping would be their Mike Tomlin. He had a bad 1st year on a rebuilding team where he played 3 different QBs. He won 10 games his 2nd year with Josh Freeman having a huge year. Third year, they started 4-2 and then lost 10 straight to end the year and Freeman was a disaster. He got a chance as interim for Atlanta and went 4-7 after Dan Quinn started the year 0-5. 5 of the 7 losses were by less than 5 points.

The biggest issue is Morris couldn't build a staff back then. But since then, he's coached in Atlanta with Kyle Shanahan and the LaFleur brothers. He coached Leftwich his final year in Tampa. And he's now the DC for Sean McVay in LA. So he has ties to some of the top offensive minds in the league right now. Obviously, he's not getting any of those guys as his OC, but he certainly has a chance to pull in the next in the line of these type of OCs.

The Rams also have a bunch of interesting young coaches on their staff. Kevin O'Connell is the OC, but could be a guy that makes a lateral move simply because he would get a chance to call plays. Former NFL QB, who has a good future in coaching. They also have Zac Robinson on the staff who is a former NFL QB. Also have Wade Phillips' and Aaron Kromer's sons and Don Shula's grandson on their staffs. So there's a pretty good chance he would be a much better coach the 2nd time around.
In another post of mine itt I pointed out that the Bears rarely hire a coach with HC experience. Given that I typically look towards the assistant coach of the month. So Morris isn’t a name I’ve thought of, but it is now.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears don't get an offensive guy then they have the same issues Lovie had. If you hit on the OC they are gone in 1-2 years and if not the team sucks no matter how good the HC is. Balt and NE lucked out in their being able to keep a really good OC for several years to make multiple runs. I'd only want an offensive guy even if they have to pay top dollar. This hire is critical to the Bears move to the new stadium. If it costs 12-15 mill a year they should do it. Bears need to be winning during the move in 3-5 years from now.
This is a great point and something I've always struggled with in going away from an offensive minded coach.

However....I believe the Bears hired Nagy for this very reason and look at us now?

I just want a coach who can evaluate coordinators and then lets them work- guys like John Harbaugh and Mike Vrabel have been sustainable because of this. Hell even Bill Cowher a defensive guy always had plus/versatile offenses almost all of his years in Pittsburgh.

Now if its an offensive minded coach who fits this bill- then great. I just want a coach who can identify with both sides of the ball.

With that being said it has to start with a new team President and new GM. If those pillars stay in place I doubt it will matter who the next head coach is.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
After last night, I want McDaniels. Had to be hard to call only 3 passess, but they did what they needed to do to get the wind without taking a risk with a rookie QB in 40 mph winds.

The fact they have won throwing 30+times and less than 5 times shows that they actually do true game planning and call plays according to the abilities of the personnel.

Plus, I'm sure he learned from his last experience in Denver.

I doubt he becomes available because he can just wait until Bill retires.

That was a gutless game plan and it only worked because Allen shit the bed twice in the red zone at the end. It is shit John Fox would do and it had to be embarrassing for Jones to know that is what his coach thinks about him.

It is fine to emphasize the run but they were running on 3 and 7 or 3rd and 10. Tbat game plan is the reason why the game was close. He played not to lose.

What made it even more embarrassing is 70% of Jones passes this season are behind the LoS or less than 9 yards so they could have ran their standard O and still been fine. The wind isnt going to affect screen passes and 5 yard curls much.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Todd Bowles. Sorry, defense and the ability to the run the ball gets you into and through the playoffs. Always has and always will...

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Todd Bowles. Sorry, defense and the ability to the run the ball gets you into and through the playoffs. Always has and always will...
The guy who was fired by the jets? No thanks.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guy who was fired by the jets? No thanks.
So was Pete Carroll...they've had 9 HCs since Carroll in '94.

Bowles came in without a QB and they took Sam Darnold. No one was surviving that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leftwich, Day or Harbaugh.

Arians O is tailor made for Fields.