Whos your final HC candidate?

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leftwich, Day or Harbaugh.

Arians O is tailor made for Fields.
No one is a bigger Fields fan than I am...I felt he should've gone 2nd in the draft and would probably even lean taking him over Lawrence today.

However- what if he can't stay healthy? What if he doesn't develop into the decision maker we believe he will? If he can't stay healthy or is just a mysterious miss (or because its the Bears....) I think we'd regret picking a HC JUST for the sake of Fields. We could be in the same position we're in with Nagy.

If Fields is the stud most of us believe he is (I think he's a star)- we would just need a good football man picking his coordinators and letting them operate year to year. Whether or not its an offensive mind that fits Fields should only be a reason as to why you hired that candidate, but not the primary reason.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As crazy as this sounds it seems like most people dont care who the HC is as long as he can hire the right OC. When you think about that it is harder to find the next great OC then it is to find the next great HC.

Lets say the Bears hire a HC who do you want his OC to be? Or, do you want the HC to also be the O play caller?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pretty sure I was the first person to mention McDaniels and didn't get killed.
McDaniels.jpg
LINK
3rd time's the charm?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one is a bigger Fields fan than I am...I felt he should've gone 2nd in the draft and would probably even lean taking him over Lawrence today.

However- what if he can't stay healthy? What if he doesn't develop into the decision maker we believe he will? If he can't stay healthy or is just a mysterious miss (or because its the Bears....) I think we'd regret picking a HC JUST for the sake of Fields. We could be in the same position we're in with Nagy.

If Fields is the stud most of us believe he is (I think he's a star)- we would just need a good football man picking his coordinators and letting them operate year to year. Whether or not its an offensive mind that fits Fields should only be a reason as to why you hired that candidate, but not the primary reason.

Never said that is the only reason to pick Leftwich. Just said that O is tailor made for Fields.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
This is a really rough year to be in the hunt for a head coach. Nobody stands out.

Harbaugh is a big name that would get me excited, but how good of a coach is he really? I don't know. Maybe he could bring his buddy Vic back after he's fired in Denver.

I've always liked Roman, because of his track record with 3 different teams, but the Ravens are 16th in scoring this year. It shouldn't diminish what he's done previously, but it's a harder sell to a fanbase to get a guy the year his offense takes a step back.

Outside of those two, I got nobody.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The HC isn’t the only problem. Who are the best GM candidates too
don't know much about his drafting abilities but heard that Sean Payton probably wants a GM role.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
not sure your definition of successful but BOB was that for the texans before he inherited GM duties and went off the deep end.

as for the indy situation, if what was detailed is true, i dont blame mcdaniels as the terms had changed from what was initially discussed with ballard...
Is a 52-48 record make someone a good coach? Let's let the league decide. Every year 10+% of the coaches get fired, so there's always openings, yet he was an assistant in Bama?

Talk to any Texan fan you know. He was that prickly personality that eventually wears out his welcome.

As for the Indy situation...... they have been a successful franchise since he changed his mind, so whatever read McDaniels might have had on the situation he was wrong. He thought it was a bad landing spot, which just isn't the case.

I'd add, what has McDaniels done to earn that level of trust? Why should he expect to pick a GM and have player control when he failed miserably as a HC and his only real success has been in supportive roles? IMHO he's an entitled premadona who's coaching resume is weak.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leftwich, Day or Harbaugh.

Arians O is tailor made for Fields.
i agree with you that the Bucs offense is perfect for Fields. I sometimes just wonder if it will translate because aside from the rb position, the Bears skill players seem to be way worse than the Bucs. Bucs have like 3 superstar pass catchers

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
i agree with you that the Bucs offense is perfect for Fields. I sometimes just wonder if it will translate because aside from the rb position, the Bears skill players seem to be way worse than the Bucs. Bucs have like 3 superstar pass catchers
Our mistake with Nagy was thinking he was doing more in KC than he was. I'd hate to hate to see the Bears make that mistake with Leftwich. Arians is a great HC. Leftwich has called all the plays at TB since they got there, but is that enough to be ready. Always thought Leftwich was one of the best leaders on a football field I'd ever seen. Still remember his one drive at Marshall when he couldn't walk and the OL carried him to each huddle after a play to try and win the game. He did not care about his future, just wanted to win. That determination and leadership should make a great HC but I'm really leery of another 1st time HC.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Is a 52-48 record make someone a good coach? Let's let the league decide. Every year 10+% of the coaches get fired, so there's always openings, yet he was an assistant in Bama?

Talk to any Texan fan you know. He was that prickly personality that eventually wears out his welcome.

As for the Indy situation...... they have been a successful franchise since he changed his mind, so whatever read McDaniels might have had on the situation he was wrong. He thought it was a bad landing spot, which just isn't the case.

I'd add, what has McDaniels done to earn that level of trust? Why should he expect to pick a GM and have player control when he failed miserably as a HC and his only real success has been in supportive roles? IMHO he's an entitled premadona who's coaching resume is weak.

Coaches that come to mind that had a nfl opening after being fired: Mccarthy, Rivera, Gase, Marrone, Whisenhunt, Caldwell, Mccoy, Nolan, Smith, Phillips, Garrett etc...all these guys come to mind as either getting another HC gig after being fired or some DC/OC spot...so who makes a good coach out of these guys?

is 44-19 a good coach? like you say, let the league decide, this coach did not get a nfl coaching gig and went to the college ranks and just recently has he now beaten ohio state for the first time in his 7 yr career at michigan

much like BOB, harbaugh is a similar type who wears out his welcome over time, as i've said in the previous post whatever happened to BOB leading to that GM meltdown where he not only traded away the best WR in the nfl for peanuts, traded clowney and also produced a horrific draft class in 2020, this pretty much sealed his fate which is why he only lasted 4 games. Prior to that he took the texans to the playoffs in 4 out of 6 seasons, two of those with the likes of osweiler and hoyer and the other two with watson. I'm not crowning BOB as some sort of savant but the guy did deliver houston with the most division titles and is the one coach with a winning record which he'll likely hold for the foreseeable future as I dont see Culley ever coming close.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well any offense is going to look good with great players but bear in mind that offense also worked when Arians was OC of the Colts and when he was with the Steelers.

Our mistake with Nagy was thinking he was doing more in KC than he was. I'd hate to hate to see the Bears make that mistake with Leftwich. Arians is a great HC. Leftwich has called all the plays at TB since they got there, but is that enough to be ready. Always thought Leftwich was one of the best leaders on a football field I'd ever seen. Still remember his one drive at Marshall when he couldn't walk and the OL carried him to each huddle after a play to try and win the game. He did not care about his future, just wanted to win. That determination and leadership should make a great HC but I'm really leery of another 1st time HC.

Nagy had only called plays for 6 games as he took over for the Jets game in 2017. Leftwich has been calling plays for a few years now. That is a world of difference in the NFL. Teams were still trying to figure Nagy out when he was hired. They seemed to figure his O out sometime in 2018 and he has never adjusted. By contrast teams have already had like 40 plus games of Leftwich as a playcaller so plenty of time for them to have figured him out and for him to have adjusted to it.

Last edited:

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
McDaniels should only be considered with a GM in place and I’m a fan of his. No total control. Pace isn’t going anywhere. Sounds like they got along in their first interview in 2018. Pace / McDaniels is fine with me. I’d prefer a different GM but don’t believe they will completely start over.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Why would anyone want McDaniels after what he did to the colts? That asshole should be banned from being a head coach.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I am surprised at how many people said Toub.

I would go Toub or Bowles.

With Toub you get a guy that consistently puts a good unit on the field, and being special teams he has to be able to communicate with both offensive and defensive players. I also think that we don't need a "quarterback whisperer" trying to run a whole team. We need an OC that can focus on that. Toub would bring a whole team approach and allow his coordinators to run their units while he managed the entire team. I think he would be a very interesting hire.

With Bowles you get a guy that knows defense and is proven in being a good defensive leader. I think that if he had to manage that as well as leading the games that a good OC could focus on the the play calling and managing the training of the young QB.

I think people are too caught up in needing the next HC to bring Fields to the next level also has to be the leader of the entire team when instead it might be smarter to let someone that is working on something that specific focus on doing that task.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was a gutless game plan and it only worked because Allen shit the bed twice in the red zone at the end. It is shit John Fox would do and it had to be embarrassing for Jones to know that is what his coach thinks about him.

It is fine to emphasize the run but they were running on 3 and 7 or 3rd and 10. Tbat game plan is the reason why the game was close. He played not to lose.

What made it even more embarrassing is 70% of Jones passes this season are behind the LoS or less than 9 yards so they could have ran their standard O and still been fine. The wind isnt going to affect screen passes and 5 yard curls much.
I'm pretty sure Bellichick doesn't care whether the plan was gutless or not.

I recall the pats going for 2 in their own territory once. When asked he said he wasn't making a statement about his team, just trying to get a 1st down.

So be prepared for more dink and dunk and behind the line passing from Jones if it keeps them winning.

I get the sense they don't care otherwise.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why would anyone want McDaniels after what he did to the colts? That asshole should be banned from being a head coach.
I was just thinking about that. I wonder what really happened with that shit.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Well any offense is going to look good with great players but bear in mind that offense also worked when Arians was OC of the Colts and when he was with the Steelers.

Nagy had only called plays for 6 games as he took over for the Jets game in 2017. Leftwich has been calling plays for a few years now. That is a world of difference in the NFL. Teams were still trying to figure Nagy when he was hired. They seemed to figure his O out sometime in 2018 and he has never adjusted. By contrast teams have already had like 40 plus games of Leftwich as a playcaller so plenty of time for them to have figured him out and for him to have adjusted to it.

So, the offense worked when he had an in his prime Ben Roethlisberger and pre-damaged Andrew Luck. I am not saying Arians is not a good coach or that his system can't work. I would have loved it if Chicago had hired him instead of Trestman. However, like many, his success is directly tied to when he has outstanding qb play - Big Ben, Luck, a resurgent Carson Palmer for a few years, and now Tom Brady. He hasn't exactly had to make chicken salad out of chicken crap at his qb position very often.

My concern with Leftwich is just overall experience. I don't like that he is only in his 5th year as an NFL coach, 6 if you want to count his intern year. I don't like that he has only been a qb guy or offensive coordinator and that basically all his time has been spent under Arians and the Arians system. Been there, done that, with Nagy and the Reid system. I would like Leftwich a lot better if he had just a couple more years experience and away from Arians and his system.

You look at guys like Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan who were offensive gurus. McVay spent 9 years as an assistant before becoming a head coach - and it wasn't just qb's. He coached WR and TE before being an OC and under two different head coaches (Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden). Shanahan spent 13 years as an assistant on multiple teams with different head coaches. He coached wide receivers, qb's and then spent 9 years an OC before becoming a head coach.

I think it's beneficial to hire a guy, whether he a first time head coach or a retread, that has more just a handful years of coaching experience and in different regimes. I want the guy to have seen and experienced different styles of how to coach, how to adapt, and how to lead. I just think a stronger background like that will serve the person better to find success in Chicago.