Why Can't The Bears Just Draft a QB and Get the Same Production out of a Rookie QB as they'd potentially get from Wentz?

Southside

Liked Posts:
Question for people who are okay with trading for Wentz even those who sanitize the trade by saying things like, "well but I wouldn't give a 1st BUT I'd give a 2nd or such and such", what exactly does Wentz offer us that a rookie QB doesn't offer?

Looking at Wentz's stats in 2020, he had under 3,000 passing yards, 16 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, 10 fumbles, 4 lost fumbles. Albeit, he only had 12 games which kept him under 3k yards, but he also had 15 picks and 10 fumbles in just 12 games. You can draft a guy this year and if worse comes to worse and that rookie QB is garbage then STILL at bare minimum he should be able to give you the SAME or similar statistically production that Carson Wentz gave Philly this year, you'd have that rookie on a rookie contract, and you would not have to give up assets like you would for Wentz. Carson Wentz essentially had rookie numbers last year, in fact he was worse in 2020 than he was as a rookie. I dont care about how good Wentz was a few years ago, worst case scenario we draft a rookie who ends up being as bad as Wentz was last year or he may be even better than Wentz was last year which is also possible because Carson set the bar is low.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree with you, HOWEVER, I think Wentz will play much better than he did last year.

Your question is why?

My response is that he has learned that holding the ball and trying to be a hero get's you benched, AND he actually has shown he can play at a top level in the NFL, even in 18 and 19 before he was injured, he was playing better than anyone we have had.

I still would rather take a shot in the draft like you mentioned, but Nagy and Pace are desperate and they apparently would rather roll the dice with a vet than a rookie.

If I was in their shoes, I think I would like my chances better with Wentz than the 4th or 5th best rookie QB in the draft (assuming they stay at 20).

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
He is demanding a trade because Philly doesn’t want him to be their starting QB anymore. Philly would rather have a 2nd year guy who still can’t throw and didn’t look that great really. They’d rather have him then Wentz. Wentz would be their starter if they wanted him. Can you people who want Wentz not grasp that? Are these facts lost on you? Why doesn’t Philly want him anymore? Do you guys think thing s just randomly happen for no reason? Philly doesn’t believe in him. If they did he’d be their starter. But bearsidiot69 on CCS wants him. I don’t care that he had good stats 4 years ago. Trubisky had good stats two years ago was like the 5th highest rafted QB. Why don’t you want Trubisky then? Wentz Is broken garbage at this point. Anybody who wants him doesn’t watch football outside of a bears games. These are the same people who wanted Foles. I think a lot of you just want some shiny new toy and until they play you’ll convince yourself they’re the second coming because outside of watching the bears you hardly follow football. So it’s like “oh Carson Wentz, he was pretty good once right? I want. I recognize that name and recall him being a pretty good QB. Get him.” It’s sadly that simple.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Overall.......The Eagle players do not believe in wentz. How many Eagle players have come out to show support for wentz?

BobInIndy

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, I haven't seen much in the development of any QB on the Bears.
Drafting a Rookie, for development, seems to be an oxymoronic phrase.
Our best bet is to trade for an experienced person.
At least you'll know what you will get.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Well, Wentz would be at the 400 or graduate course level, whereas a rookie would be at the 100 or survey course level.

I do appreciate you making the 171st thread on this topic. I promise you that if your question was worthwhile it would have been answered in one of the other 170 threads. So glad you found out a way to make your question shine.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The idiots here think they're going to get 2017 Wentz

Makes sense to bank on a guy being what he was 4 years and not 6 months ago.

The previous 3 years before the 2020 season he went 82 tds, 21 ints. You’d be building a statue if a bears QB had a comparable 3 year stretch. There’s more evidence 2020 was the anomaly.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The chances of a rookie playing well are very small. If we draft a QB high (especially if we trade up for one), even if they stink we will do to them like Trubisky...hold into them for 4-5 seasons hoping they improve. That means a new GM and HC would be stuck with that QB, like him or not.

With Wentz, there’s a better chance he works out. If he doesn’t, they all get kicked to the curb soon.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We did draft a rookie remember Mitch.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Because it's likely that no rookie QB that the Bears can get their hands on will end up nearly as good as Wentz in their rookie year.

You say look at his 2020 stats. Sure, that's fair. I'd also say, though, look at his 2019 stats. Look at his 2018 stats. Look at his 2017 stats.

Why is everyone so certain that Wentz can't play like how he's played the vast majority of his career?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I agree mostly with the OP. Wentz, as he played last year does not give you much of an edge over drafting a mid 1st rd QB. And if you are trading a 1st rd for Wentz and paying him 20-25 mil a year, you are expecting him to play much better than a mid 1st rd rookie.

After all, the rookie would only be making around 4 mil a year and give you 15-20 mil in extra cap space. Thats the difference in resigning Arob. Or going out and upgrading the OL and adding offensive playmakers. That's why, to me, Wentz is worth more like a 2nd + 4th rounder.

Pick #20 is more than enough to me. I personally would lean toward the draft, but can understand Nagy & Pace leaning toward Wentz in that he can likely bring more to the table in the immediate future and potentially salvage their jobs.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Because the Bears are not motivated by common sense. They’re motivated by things like appeasing the meatballs, selling tickets, giving the coach autonomy, protecting reputations, short term success. That’s why the Bears will beat the Cubs 108 year streak with a 108+ year QB streak. @me in 40 years.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's a reasonable question.

The truth is what can you really expect from the 5th or 6th rated QB in this draft? How many times are there 5-6 QBs that are ready to contribute right away? There are so many unknowns that go into any QB when they change teams let alone offenses, players around and level of competition. Just to add some context I'll provide the top 3 rates QB classes of all time and ONLY talk about the guys that worked out:

1983 Class
#1 = Elway
#14 = Kelly
#15 = Tony Eason
#24 = Ken O'Brien
#27 = Marino

2004 Class
#1 = Eli
#4 = Rivers
#11 = Ben
#90 = Schaub

2005 Class
#1 = Alex Smith
#24 = Rodgers
#25 = Campbell
#106 and beyond = Orton, Derek Anderson, Cassel and Fitzmagic/tragic

So even if this QB class somehow compares to those historic classes it's not like there are 5+ starter quality QBs that come out ever, let alone guys that are ready to play right away.

I'd add you would never trade for Wentz to replicate 2020. If you traded for him it's because you want the 2016-2019 guy.

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Drafting a rookie at 20, or in the 2nd round doesn't save Pace and Nagy's jobs.

I'd like to think about building a better team through the draft, and developing a QB. The reality is that Pace and Nagy are only thinking about 2021. If they don't mortgage the future and overpay for a veteran QB, I'll be shocked.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drafting a rookie at 20, or in the 2nd round doesn't save Pace and Nagy's jobs.

I'd like to think about building a better team through the draft, and developing a QB. The reality is that Pace and Nagy are only thinking about 2021. If they don't mortgage the future and overpay for a veteran QB, I'll be shocked.
I wonder if this happens, under George and Ted's "watch", how much of the fan base finally has seen enough and tells them to fuck off.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whoever started this thread is missing the point of why they even kept Nagy and Pace. The higher ups want to win now and there is no promise that a rookie will win now. Same with Wentz really. I don't like either option. But if I had to pick, I'd like to think picking the guy who could have been an MVP is best. Sadly after that you need to find the Oline to protect him. With what little cap room you have, I'd hope that come with good drafting.