Why Dane Sanzenbacher being one of leading receivers is a problem

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Why Dane Sanzenbacher being one of leading receivers is a problem - Inside the Bears

It's a nice story, Dane Sanzenbacher's rise from undrafted rookie to one of the Bears top receivers.

He leads the Bears with two receiving touchdowns, and he's tied for second with nine catches.

Sanzenbacher admitted he didn't think he'd be such a big part of the offense so early.

"I wouldn't say it's awkward," he said. "But this isn't really a sport where your individual achievements are going to overshadow you losing games. You want to be a part of an offense that is making plays and getting wins. It's great to be on the field and make those plays. But you want to win ballgames at the end of the day.

"It's something we're all striving for."

That's the problem.

The Bears shouldn't be counting on an undrafted rookie to help them this early in the season. Sure, there have been injuries at the position, mainly to slot receiver Earl Bennett and veteran Roy Williams. But with those guys nicked up, the other receivers should be producing more.

Instead, Sanzenbacher has the only two touchdowns for a Bears receiver, with the other three coming from Matt Forte, Matt Spaeth and Kellen Davis.

That's not a very good recipe for success in a passing offense.

Sanzenbacher isn't to blame; other than a key drop against the New Orleans Saints, he's shown good hands and made a couple of important and tough catches.

But he should be eased into the offense, or -- at the very least -- a player who gets in a handful of snaps. Instead, over the last two games, he's been targeted 14 times. That's the same number as Devin Hester, and behind only Forte (22) and Johnny Knox (15).

"When your number's called they expect you to make the play, and one thing that's been great about being here and this coaching staff is if they put you on the field, that means they trust you can make those plays," Sanzenbacher said. "So you can't really second-guess yourself when you're out there. When you're targeted you have to catch the ball."

That's an admirable comment from him. But other receivers should -- and need to -- step up.

I feel like I wrote this have have been preaching this,

MSOADE54

I ****ing love this chick
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ahhh, I love the Dane Sanzenbacher story and all but I just hope that Bennett can get healthy and make some noise. He is our only TRUE receiver. ugh... I know this is going to be an ugly season when we can't run the football. I hope we turn it around like last year.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Even a similar story like Wes Welker played under Randy Moss in New England.

MSOADE54

I ****ing love this chick
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yup, and Jay has talked really high of Dane and even compared him to Wes in an interview on WBBM or some shit. I hope that Dane stays on the same pace that he is on right now. Once the offense and defense gets all those injuries clear up then I think that this will all clear up. I think that the potential for Dane Sanzenbacher is through the roof. I hope that he becomes more in this offense as it goes on.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Dane needs to bulk up a bit like Wes Welker to be Wes Welker. He's a good contributor right now, but the fact he's basically our best receiver tells you HOW BAD Hester and Johnny Knox are in this offense and how useless Roy Williams is.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Where's our Randy Moss?

If teams key on Sanzenbacher, I think he'd get shut down rather easily. If he can still make plays after teams are aware of his ability to be a factor in the offense, then I'll be really impressed with him.

It's one thing to make plays in the NFL, it's another thing to make those plays while the defense is targeting you.