Why did the Bears draft Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
didnt most sports writers have Mitch as the first QB taken in there mock drafts? Pace missed big time.. but so did most of the other "experts" out there as well.

The jump from college to the pros is not an easy transition and most players drafted struggle and dont work out. I think the issue with watson was that he had a bit more INT in college and the fear was that would get worse in the pros not better, and that is kind of a logical stance to take to be honest.. didnt end up that way obviously but who would of figured that he would get much better with tougher competition? The NFL is crazy ..

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
GM's miss on player evaluations all the time. It's part of the business. The worrisome thing here is Pace didn't do his HW on all three guys.

KC was infatuated with Mahomes and still had everyone in.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ragone is getting the bus driven over him.

I have no issue if he leaked his Watson preference. He needs to protect his reputation and not be the human shield for Pace’s failure.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
GM's miss on player evaluations all the time. It's part of the business. The worrisome thing here is Pace didn't do his HW on all three guys.

KC was infatuated with Mahomes and still had everyone in.

My problem is that he had a 66% chance of being right and he doubled down and trade up for the 33% failure.

He did everything in his power to make the Mitch miss hurt as much as possible.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
My problem is that he had a 66% chance of being right and he doubled down and trade up for the 33% failure.

He did everything in his power to make the Mitch miss hurt as much as possible.
I mean you’re stretching here. He did every thing in his power to get his guy, not make the “miss hurt as much as possible”. There’s so many things wrong with that statement.

But yes, he had a 2/3 chance to get a legit QB and failed which fucking sucks. In most drafts, a GM would be lucky to get a 1/4 chance to get a legit QB.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Same reason Cedric Benson was taken over Arron Rodgers...
It’s an imperfect world.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean you’re stretching here. He did every thing in his power to get his guy, not make the “miss hurt as much as possible”. There’s so many things wrong with that statement.

But yes, he had a 2/3 chance to get a legit QB and failed which fucking sucks. In most drafts, a GM would be lucky to get a 1/4 chance to get a legit QB.
I agree with this reaction. Pace ID'd his guy and made a move to assure he got him when he got nervous about teams calling them and SF about the #3 and #2 picks. I'll support the swing and a miss, but not Pace neglecting to get all the information he needed to make the pick/decision.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He doubled down on a terrible evaluation. It is one thing to miss on an evaluation it is another to have the "conviction" to move up to do so.

By trading up for Trubisky, and missing on the evaluation of "his guy", he did the maximum damage to the team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The level of certainty that Pace had that Trubisky was the best QB is what is concerning to me about him moving forward.

He was SO convinced that Mitch was the best QB that he ignored Watson and traded up because he could not live without Mitch.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
He doubled down on a terrible evaluation. It is one thing to miss on an evaluation it is another to have the "conviction" to move up to do so.

By trading up for Trubisky, and missing on the evaluation of "his guy", he did the maximum damage to the team.
You act like he knew it was a terrible evaluation and his motive was to screw the Bears. Lol chill

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I agree with this reaction. Pace ID'd his guy and made a move to assure he got him when he got nervous about teams calling them and SF about the #3 and #2 picks. I'll support the swing and a miss, but not Pace neglecting to get all the information he needed to make the pick/decision.
Yup, that’s the damning part. He didn’t do a thorough job.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You act like he knew it was a terrible evaluation and his motive was to screw the Bears. Lol chill

I am not acting like he knew it was a losing hand and it was no intentional.

But the result was increased damage to the team.

It is like going all in on a hand and getting beat. The damage is more than if you make a more measured bet on the hand. Even if the thought process is correct the lost wipes you out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yup, that’s the damning part. He didn’t do a thorough job.

The damning part is that he missed the evaluation.

This is a results business not a process business.

If Mitch was good and he had ignored Watson then no one would be bothered. The ignoring Watson just highlights the failed result.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

It's hard to chill for die hard fans because they know that not only did we miss with Mitch, we missed a SB. If Pace seriously had Mahomes 2nd, we quite possibly missed a dynasty by trading up for Mitch.

Some of us are more like "you win some, you lose some," but some die hards see this as a whiff on a dynasty.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's hard to chill for die hard fans because they know that not only did we miss with Mitch, we missed a SB. If Pace seriously had Mahomes 2nd, we quite possibly missed a dynasty by trading up for Mitch.

Some of us are more like "you win some, you lose some," but some die hards see this as a whiff on a dynasty.

That is where I am at.

His failure is only compounded by the fact that 2 stud QBs were available and in the conversation. If it had been a bad year for QBs and he missed and the other guys missed it wouldn't be as painful. But he had a 2/3 chance of landing a difference making QB and he doubled downed and dunked on the 1/3 miss.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The damning part is that he missed the evaluation.

This is a results business not a process business.

If Mitch was good and he had ignored Watson then no one would be bothered. The ignoring Watson just highlights the failed result.
I disagree. If Mitch was good and he ignored Watson then he was lucky. That doesn’t make him good at his job. It makes him lucky.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I disagree. If Mitch was good and he ignored Watson then he was lucky. That doesn’t make him good at his job. It makes him lucky.

Agreed, but we would not care because the on field results would be way better.

In sports all we care about is the result.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Agreed, but we would not care because the on field results would be way better.

In sports all we care about is the result.
Not necessarily true in a GM’s side of football. It’s often been said that a GM is wise to give a player a new contract not based on what they’ve done, but what they are expected to do moving forward.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily true in a GM’s side of football. It’s often been said that a GM is wise to give a player a new contract not based on what they’ve done, but what they are expected to do moving forward.

Those are expected results. All anyone cares about is the result of the move and the result on the field.

You could stumble into a player and have no process based evidence to fall back on, and if he plays well no one cares how he appeared on the field.