Why did the Bears draft Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Theres no guarentee that watson or mahomes in chicago would equal Watson and mahomes in Houston and kc.

There was no evidence to assume either on of them would perform the way they are and theres a reason almost every evaluator had trubs number 1 on their qb board.

Going with trubs doesn't mean pace didn't thoroughly evaluate the others. Tape speaks far more than a single private workout.

The pick appears to have not worked out so everyone's bitching and moaning but if somehow things were to turn around and trubs ended up being a franchise qb they do another 180.

Some picks work, most dont. That's the way it is.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Theres no guarentee that watson or mahomes in chicago would equal Watson and mahomes in Houston and kc.

There was no evidence to assume either on of them would perform the way they are and theres a reason almost every evaluator had trubs number 1 on their qb board.

Going with trubs doesn't mean pace didn't thoroughly evaluate the others. Tape speaks far more than a single private workout.

The pick appears to have not worked out so everyone's bitching and moaning but if somehow things were to turn around and trubs ended up being a franchise qb they do another 180.

If I win the lottery I would be rich. But alas I am not.

This is too competitive a field to just say “shucks we missed” we are going to just move on. There are consequences for missing, on then field and off.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Did you read the Chicago Tribune article that came out the other day? It outlined the Bears draft process and Pace essentially passed over Watson. He fell so much in love with Trubisky that Watson fell off his radar. So I do think it is fair to say that Pace didn't thoroughly evaluate all his options.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Yes I read the article. Yea he loved trubs and passed on Watson but that doesn't mean he didnt thoroughly evaluate watson.

GMs fall in love with one player over the rest, that how they make their picks.

And windy what do you want them to do? Go back in time? Theres nothing they can do but look forward.