Why did the Bears draft Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson?

mbison

Liked Posts:
i think race was a factor

Why do you think that? There’s too much proof that having a Black QB doesn’t hurt the franchise in anyway. The only think that will cause the franchise to lose money is losing. The Dallas Cowboys are the most profitable franchise by a mile and they have a black QB. His jersey is actually the 3rd highest selling Jersey too. I don’t think for 1 second that Pace would put his Job on the line just to purposely pass up on a Potential franchise QB. Makes no sense

Let’s just call it was it is. He made a bad pick like so many others

Last edited:

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace went with the guy his grandma would most approve of. You know, the least amount of melanin in him.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good read. Very depressing. If Pace is fired, Bears should hire that Veach guy somehow lol.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
How many Bears 1st round picks back that up?
Who’s the highest paid defensive player in history?

I don’t think race had anything to do with it.
Pace likely reads PFF who had Mitch #1.
Read pretty much any post from Bearzombie. He's a fucking meathead.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears drafted Trubisky because Pace is ass at evaluating QBs and has been an abject failure with every QB move he has made.

Arguably the biggest decision in franchise history and he blew it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
How many Bears 1st round picks back that up?
Who’s the highest paid defensive player in history?

I don’t think race had anything to do with it.
Pace likely reads PFF who had Mitch #1.

ive said this many times. There are many gms out there that think black people are too stupid to play the qb position. This has been a proven historical factor. This is the first time pace is a gm so there is no historical reference. But I believe race was a factor in who he chose. You don’t have to believe it

and I’m absolutely not sjw. Trubisky is too much of a forest gump tard to be considered the best of that draft. Something is up and I believe the race factor got him drafted first

mbison

Liked Posts:
ive said this many times. There are many gms out there that think black people are too stupid to play the qb position. This has been a proven historical factor. This is the first time pace is a gm so there is no historical reference. But I believe race was a factor in who he chose. You don’t have to believe it

and I’m absolutely not sjw. Trubisky is too much of a forest gump tard to be considered the best of that draft. Something is up and I believe the race factor got him drafted first

You need to move out of the 1930s bro. There are 11 starting Black QB in the league right now. No way GM think Black People are “too stupid” to play QB and there is no proof that having a Black QB will hurt financially either. The Dallas Cowboys are the richest franchise in the league and they have a black QB. That black QB also has one of the highest selling Jersey.

Ryan Pace scouted and help draft Aaron Brooks when he was with NO so there goes that too

You are really reaching. FYI

Bears were the first NFL team with a black QB
1953 Willie thrower

Bears have drafted 2 Black NFL QbS

Bears have had 8 black starting QBs

Last edited:

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Please show me evidence of this shit.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You need to move out of the 1930s bro. There are 11 starting Black QB in the league right now. No way GM think Black People are “too stupid” to play QB and there is no proof that having a Black QB will hurt financially either. The Dallas Cowboys are the richest franchise in the league and they have a black QB. That black QB also has one of the highest selling Jersey.

Ryan Pace scouted and help draft Aaron Brooks when he was with NO so there goes that too

aaron brooks lol are you sure pace wasn’t still in college at that time

all that doesn’t matter racism still exists. The panthers have a black qb and the owner was pretty much forced to sell for being a racist. Teams stayed away from kapernick while pace threw 18 fucking mil at giraffe man. There are many examples.

and I stress that I said I “believe” race was a factor. I didn’t say I have proof. It just has those vibes

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Bears drafted Trubisky because Pace is ass at evaluating QBs and has been an abject failure with every QB move he has made.

Arguably the biggest decision in franchise history and he blew it.
Did you watch the video within the article? After they drafted Trubisky, Pace goes over all of the people who had him rated the #1 QB on their board within the Bears org. He lists off like 5 of the top people in the scouting org. "That's conviction" Pace says lol. What I found interesting is that Pace did not tell other people in the org who he liked as he didn't want his opinion to influence theirs. Only people who liked Watson was Fox and Ragone.

So what I'm saying is, Bears need to fire the entire scouting department along with Pace.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think the Pace line that he kept quiet about who he favoured so as not to influence his staff is vainglorious bullcrap. Pace is a salesman, and you can't be bad at it with the same clients for long.

mbison

Liked Posts:
aaron brooks lol are you sure pace wasn’t still in college at that time

all that doesn’t matter racism still exists. The panthers have a black qb and the owner was pretty much forced to sell for being a racist. Teams stayed away from kapernick while pace threw 18 fucking mil at giraffe man. There are many examples.

and I stress that I said I “believe” race was a factor. I didn’t say I have proof. It just has those vibes

I’m 100 percent with you. Racism still exists and it’s a big problem in this country. I’m just trying to explain that I don’t think race had anything to do with Pace drafting Mitch.

QBs are so hard to pick in the first place and I don’t think Pace would risk his job just because of someone’s skin color

Last edited:

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
The same reason Sam Bowie was drafted over Michael Jordan.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fascinating read. Don’t have a problem with their secrecy because that part worked.

I love how they highlighted Pace mentioning brees 8 times after the draft.

They were so locked in on finding somebody to fit that brees mold at qb it sounds like they had brees blinders on and didn’t realize they had the next favre staring them in the face ‬
No 2 QBs are the same. Trying to find a clone is always a fail.

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
Funny, John Fox and Dave Ragone rated Watson as the best guy. Chiefs GM only had eyes for Mahomes, then Reid and his staff came on board after interviewing all three. They don't go into detail about how Houston had them ranked. Guess I never gave Fox enough credit. Pace should've did his due diligence.

There was alot of talk out there that Houston LOVED Mahomes and didn't think Watson was good on the whiteboard sessions. They believed Mahomes would get further along than 10. I don't know where they ranked Trubisky, but I know that they wern't high on Watson. I read reports at the time that once Mahomes came off the board, the owner of the Texans, McNair, ordered the GM to go up and get Watson no matter the cost. I have attached a picture of the Houston War Room as the Texans are selecting Watson. It is very telling. ONLY GM Rick Smith is smiling, everyone else with frowns, no high fives, no excitement at all. Either Smith is happy that he succeeded in doing his bosses bidding, or he just cut a huge fart. You do the math.

Good read. Very depressing. If Pace is fired, Bears should hire that Veach guy somehow lol.

I am KC Fan....you can have Veach...props to him for Mahomes...and that's huge....he has MISSED on alot of other stuff. His entire 2018 offseason and draft have been CRAP.

Attachments

• WatsonDraft.jpg
    WatsonDraft.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 11

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
No 2 QBs are the same. Trying to find a clone is always a fail.
Exactly. Even more so today when there are so many different types of QBs having success

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was alot of talk out there that Houston LOVED Mahomes and didn't think Watson was good on the whiteboard sessions. They believed Mahomes would get further along than 10. I don't know where they ranked Trubisky, but I know that they wern't high on Watson. I read reports at the time that once Mahomes came off the board, the owner of the Texans, McNair, ordered the GM to go up and get Watson no matter the cost. I have attached a picture of the Houston War Room as the Texans are selecting Watson. It is very telling. ONLY GM Rick Smith is smiling, everyone else with frowns, no high fives, no excitement at all. Either Smith is happy that he succeeded in doing his bosses bidding, or he just cut a huge fart. You do the math.

I am KC Fan....you can have Veach...props to him for Mahomes...and that's huge....he has MISSED on alot of other stuff. His entire 2018 offseason and draft have been CRAP.

The rumors around Houston were that Rick Smith absolutely loved Watson and Bill O’Brien wanted nothing to do with Watson.

Also, Watson was Rick Smith’s #1 QB. It was not Mahomes. Here is an excerpt from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle...

General manager Rick Smith, who had scouted Watson extensively, deserves credit for trading up from No. 25 to 12 to select Watson - the third quarterback taken behind Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago) and Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City).

Smith convinced Cleveland to swap first-round picks by offering the Texans' No. 1 draft choice in 2018.

Smith wanted Watson so badly he tried to trade with the New York Jets up to No. 6 but couldn't work out a deal that was suitable to both teams.

Last edited:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ragone should get a raise for his opinion on Watson.

I’m also curious what their area scout in Texas wrote about Mahomes. I know Patrick visited Halas Hall so he was in the mix for them. Having watched a ton of Mahomes which included attending one his games at TCU, I just can’t believe they could have decided Mitch was a better prospect. It proves how tough it is to evaluate these guys.

He’s more likely to be fired due to Trubisky’s regression.